Sims 2 to Iclone Tutorial

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic38149.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Dr. Nemesis - 14 Years Ago
Sims 2 has the largest user made content community, it's almost endless.
For a while now I've been using Sims 2 models in my Machinima and I finally got round to writing a tutorial so others can do the same.
You can find the tutorial on my blog.

Hope it's useful.
If there's a need for it I might get round to compiling a list of good Sims 2 sites later.
By animagic - 14 Years Ago
Very interesting.  Thank you for this!  Time to research the Sims...
By sjonesdc - 14 Years Ago
Dr. Nemesis (1/19/2010)
Sims 2 has the largest user made content community, it's almost endless.
For a while now I've been using Sims 2 models in my Machinima and I finally got round to writing a tutorial so others can do the same.
You can find the tutorial on my blog.

Hope it's useful.
If there's a need for it I might get round to compiling a list of good Sims 2 sites later.

Thanks for the tutorial, I do have Sims 2.  One question will this work with the Sims 3???

You don't need Sims 2 or 3 (I don't have it); it only uses the content and a free tool.  A lot of content is freely available from what I understand. 
By Christy0 - 14 Years Ago
This is great Dr. Nemesis, thanks for the heads up on this. My daughter is a Sims Nut, and has tons of Sims stuff, so gonna give this a bash BigGrin
Thanks everyone. And yes, zuijlen is right you don't need the Sims 2 to do this. In fact it's worth mentioning that converting objects that come with the game itself is a bad idea.

The community-made objects far outnumbers the stuff from the game and at many times the quality is great.
Unfortunately no, I don't know anyway to do this for The Sims 3 yet, but at this point in time there really isn't enough Sims 3 content for this to be a big issue.

Here's a picture of some of the Sims 2 community-made hairs I collected. When I need hair for a character I flick through this folder (which has about 3-4 times more than what you see in this picture) and convert what I choose to Iclone.

A useful tip if you start a collection though, keep a readme file in each folder so you can always quickly recheck who made the content (for crediting purposes) and what permissions they give. Many sites don't allow redistribution so sharing collections publicly is often not good too.
By aknzrdude - 14 Years Ago
Dr Nemesis welcome back! glad to see you posting again - and thanks for the xcellent tip
By sjonesdc - 14 Years Ago
Dr Nemesis,

I followed your tutorial and is was so easy.  Thanks again for the tutorial.  Now the choices for stuff to use in iClone has expanded. Tongue

By rgathje - 14 Years Ago
  Thank you for the tip on getting more content without 3D Max. It has always surprised me that developement software is so limited. Not everyone can spend hundreds of dollars on software. I guess that is why I am willing to spend $20 to $100 dollars on products at Reallusion.
By Peter (RL) - 14 Years Ago
Excellent tutorial Doc. I'll pin this so it doesn't get lost. Great job. Smile
By all3dmodel - 14 Years Ago
great really i need this is thax
By Celestina - 14 Years Ago
I would love to read your tutorial but had a 'threat detected alert' when I clicked on your link.
By sumthinwong - 14 Years Ago
ditto to the threat
I had the same problem. I was able to get to the cached version through Google (just search for "SIMS to iClone):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VgkXZGuy9AsJ:binarypictureshow.com/blog/archives/81

You can save the cached version for future reference.

By kvpictures1 - 14 Years Ago
Yeah the cached link works fine, I found the link from the original post does not work. Great tutorial and something that will certainly come in handyBigGrin
Hi guys. Yeah, had a little trouble there recently with a redirection hack but its fixed now, sorry about that.
By Pochontas - 14 Years Ago
Thanks great info! But is it possible to import Sims characters into Iclone?
By Paumanok West - 14 Years Ago
Pochontas (8/25/2010)
Thanks great info! But is it possible to import Sims characters into Iclone?

Technically it's possible to import all kinds of things, but the best you can hope for is to end up with a "non-human character" which can't do facial animation.
Paumanok West is correct. To import them as standard characters you would need to edit them in 3D studio Max.
By Cellygon - 13 Years Ago
Where can I get some free sim2 hair? Smile great tutorials by the way!
By sjonesdc - 13 Years Ago
Try typing "free sim2 hair" in the search box.