iClone 5.5 is HERE!!

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic160260.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bruce (RL) - 11 Years Ago
Dear all,

With iClone Version 5.5, your character animation pipeline is finally complete! The New MotionPlus format allows you to easily save all of your facial, body, accessory, spring and constraint data all into a single MotionPlus file so that it can be reused and reapplied to other characters. In addition, you're now able to customize your own landscapes with the height map terrain, directly in iClone!

Click on Me to Know All the Cool New Features

Please leave your feedbacks about this update under this thread.

By Sifr - 11 Years Ago
It's about time RL Team. My hats go off to you guys for creating the ultimate 3D Animation Pipeline still a little ways to go i.e. Faceshift, but all in all you guys are positioned to be taken seriously as a PRO 3D Suite for content/media creators such as myself who don't have access to million dollar facilities &/or manpower to create such consumables for distribution and you are truly worthy of my buying dollars. I will be ordering Pipeline within the next 48 Hrs. Great job and keep listening to your devoted user base who knows their stuff.......... next order of business Augmented Reality, we'll be in touch.w00t

Moderator - See Attachment for Image. 

SERIOUS SPECS FOR PROS ONLY!!!!!
By planetstardragon - 11 Years Ago
Congrats Guys and Thank You!! BigGrin
By justaviking - 11 Years Ago
Sifr (8/8/2013)
It's about time RL Team. My hats go off to you guys for creating the ultimate 3D Animation Pipeline ...  SERIOUS SPECS FOR PROS ONLY!!!!!

You might want to re-think posting your computer name and Windows KEY on a public forum.

Also, it's a huge picture that requires horizontal scrolling.  Please edit your post and take out the picture (and maybe replace it with a smaller one that hides any personal info).

CORRECTION:  It's your "Product ID" not the activation key for windows, but still, please replace the huge image with a smaller, cropped version of the picture that shows off the awe-inspiring rating for your Alienware computer.  Thanks.

Looking forward to downloading the doing the upgrade tonight.   Cool

Thanks, Reallusion team!   BigGrin

By Capemedia - 11 Years Ago
WOW!!!

Thanks Reallusion, another amazing upgrade BigGrin

By wires - 11 Years Ago
A big Thank you to the whole RL Team. Smile
By colour - 11 Years Ago
The last 2 Updates at least, have included a number of Upgrade Features that are usually only included in Purchased Upgrade Versions in NLE Programs. So - Many thanks for those, Reallusion Product Development Team. A job very well-doneSmile

So far - All iC5.4 Projects have converted ok to iC5.5 Project Format.

And..... iC5 64Bit Program & Projects seem to load appreciably faster than before.

By DELETED2 - 11 Years Ago
"Its a long post, but I use short words." Wink

REALLUSION: STUNNING & Impressive. For whatever reason the functionality of 1 to 99,999 re: fog depth came back with the upgrade. Smile 
Thankyou for this. Both the 32 and 64 were missing this but I did recall its temporary presence earlier in another update. 

1. SAVING AND RE-USING CHARACTER ANAIMTION: is a superb feature. Something that saves countless hours of work
and I like this greatly. Not because I have multiple characters on stage that need mimicry but because I change my characters a lot.

2. BAKE CONTRAINT KEYS: I didn't expect to see this; I don't remember it's request but now that its here it's actually very convenient
in use. One application I have immediately is the response of Chinese lowers to superior society in passing. It inserts very quickly.

But the icing on the cake for me is.... (Aside from my Mist and Distance haze controll Smile  )
3. Modify Existing Material to Change the Landscape
& equally most best of all
4. Create Custom Terrain from the Height Map.
Oh boy, yes.
Retexturing the landmasses is beautiful and, with b2m, limitless.
The ability to reshape the ground, tho', is something we've waited a long time for.
I hadn't expected to have to manipulate a graphic to manipulate altitudal-difference Smile but, now that its here, its actually very easy
AND has the benefits of being able to alter and re-scale chunks of the terrain by increasing or decreasing its selected-scale
comparatively to the rest of the map.

Height Scale, Height offset and Smoothing are excellent additions. Its finally totally changed the way the set is controlled. Ground shaping
makes or breaks the take. I think this is the most valuable element addition to me.  

And Finally,
5. H.264 Video Export.
I ran a few tests on this and the results are little less than stunning.
The saving I can enjoy is about 300%++ efficiency in space usage.
I created a 30fps 15 second take at a res of HD 1280x720.
The AVI crawled through at about  8fps on render.
The H.264 format charged off at about 42fps.

Stunningly, the output of the avi as usual is bad edged no anti-alias and the video studio I use has to chew that up which stalls iTS' output incredibly.
However, the quality and silky-fine edge of diagonals and transitioning diagonals / body skin edges using the H.264 is absolute. Perfect. I had to
keep double checking to make sure iClone hadn't slipped into a higher res. But it hadnt.

OK, so now we have two files. 
One Bad quality AVI of 1,389 Gigs.
And one H.264, same format, same FPS, of 62.1 Megs.
Disbelieving this, I created another test. One of my biggest sets. Over 800 props/trees and 19 avatars.

5 second take. 30fps. HD 720p (1280x720.) 879 Props/Plants 11 Avatars / 4 Particles / 3 mapped video props.
AVI Rendered at 1 FPS = 357 Megs.
H.264 Rendered at 2.6 FPS = 9.9 Megs.
How? Blink Blink
That's a 360% efficiency rating using H.264.
I didn't know this. Even forgetting the file size , the quality comparatively to AVI is breathtaking visually.
I love it. I WISH I knewe this before I started on the CDCG.
The speed H.264 runs at resolutions of 1980 x 1080 is like lightening. No system demand or audio lag.

So.... my summary is, not all of this upgrade is utilised by me as a priority in my work style, BUT the majority of what changes
my quality output is mindblowing. I'm very impressed with this update. It saves me great chunks of time and adds huge layers
of quality and streamlining to both
1. the way I work and
2. my output.

So... Many gratitiudes for my lifes new efficiency levels in animation and many many thanks for the massive ingenuity of this update
and particularly for the streamlining of the complex working environment we now have. 

Now........  I need some dinner. Smile
Armstrong.

EDIT:::: Also I can now open all my massive Gardens in the iClone 64bit version.

By Bigboss - 11 Years Ago
Cool ! Cool ! Cool !
Many thanks to the Reallusion Team ! Smile
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
In this video, I'm in love with the guy with the green shirtBigGrin

vidi (8/8/2013)
In this video, I'm in love with the guy with the green shirtBigGrin

At 1:30, when the guy in the gray T-shirt comes back on, I realized... Oh my God, it's Chuck the avatar!!!

By RobertoColombo - 11 Years Ago
Thumbs and toes up!!!! Wonderful upgrade. Infinite new possibilities (I love the terrain editing feature)
By Gerskey - 11 Years Ago
Thank you RL team for the new upgrade.

Here's to a new wave of videos to come Wow

Peace

Gerskey

By Sifr - 11 Years Ago
Hi Armstrong,

I'm not quite sure how you get off ******* on my post.

re:"ridiculously oversized irrelevant imagery"
I will humbly lower the resolution (dang high def built-in phone cam) as requested by justaviking, who was very helpful in pointing out other concerns, thanks, although I don't really know how to, I guess I'll use PS to resize image resolution & remove product i.d.
Other than "oversized" that image is very relevant to my 1st amendment rights to start, and also relevant to the real-time graphics nature of iClone, but besides that what's in your laptop.

re:"derogatories in your message inferring the rest of us need spokesmen"
I will humbly keep all posts in the 1st person (I, me ect.), if I should somehow be assumed to infer anyone else, which I have not, by acknowledging that RL has included 80%+ of this users request & more than I infer to defer to err. Maybe RL should stop listening to their devoted user base being that I'm assumed not to be one of them, at least not commercially, although I regularly use the programs along the bottom of my "oversized irrelevant imagery" minus RL Pipeline which is the Trial version.

re:"little ways to go i.e. "
What great achiever ever rest on one's laurels. I got one words for you: Faceshift.......

Or maybe: DirectX 11, Tessellation, Built in offline render, True nonlinear modeling tools, Hand motion capture.

"Reallusion's Torch"
I believe each user that suggested to RL any feature or finds a bug crash issue is a flame in the torch, but that's just my humble opinion, which as evident in RL's efforts our opinions matter.

re: "We should always respect intellectual superiority. Humble might be a way forwards for you. Just a heads-up as much as a decapitation. "
Then why try to disrespect me, I'm a proud Premium Plus owner of iClone 2.5. I still however have devoted countless personal R&D time concerning iClone and vowed to not upgrade until iClone achieved a level of polish to stand toe to toe with my other PRO grade programs. I have offered up so much intellectual property to RL they deserve a "Heads Up" in the form of a long overdue upgrade purchase from myself.

re:"Not sure which I prefer. Probably the decapitation. Publicly. Market Square. Saturday Morning.
In the rain. Overcast. Dull grey lighting. Dead rats everywhere. Probably"

With all the new pipeline features available to me myself & I, it sounds like a great iClone scene in the making if someone does't beat me to it. I follow your work Armstrong it's inspiring.

Again Great job RL & thanks for the heads up you guys helpful or hurtful, thank you all.

By Pollux - 11 Years Ago
Thanks REALLUSION, great job Smile
By Colonel_Klink - 11 Years Ago
Great stuff, Reallusion. Nice to see the hard work in producing a polished program coming along so well.

I do have a a query though regarding decals in the terrain creation process. I have noticed that the new terrain pack (Terrains of the World) mentions this, but for the life of me I cannot see it in the new Help file or any reference of it in Iclone itself. Am I missing something, or is this developer only territory?
By alemar - 11 Years Ago
Nice!Thank you RL !
By martok2112 - 11 Years Ago
Yes! Finally! In addition to all the wonderful new features of 5.5, in the 64bit version, there is now WMV, and MP4 formats to export video. Will have to test the WMV and MP4 formats out....but ....I am mucho thankful. Smile Ultimately, I still find AVI the way to go when generating source video for my external video editors.

Thank you, Reallusion! Smile
By Idjy Studio - 11 Years Ago
Congratulations to the RL teams!
I love iClone 5.5! Wink
Thanks.
By Luna - 11 Years Ago
Great work! I think I personally will only use the extended terrain possibilities and maybe the feature with the face normal maps. This is useful for me. So I'm really glad that the update is free... Smile

Luna

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
Many thanks RL team!

I've just been playing with the terrain mask for the height-mapped terrain, and wow, is it awesome!

We can now have detailed pathways winding accross our landscape, and amazing blends of all four texture channels.

For anyone who wants to play, the four colors used in the mask are red, green, blue, and black. Black is channel (material) 4. You can blend your colors, and your terrain materials will blend accordingly. So purple will blend material 1 and 3 for instance.

For a really cool effect, I created a "plasma cloud" in GIMP, and used that for the mask.
w00t

By Peter Blood - 11 Years Ago
Now that was very clever! BigGrin Thanks for posting psd. Smile

Cool pete

By hgagne - 11 Years Ago
@RL Team:

Much appreciated! 

@Peter:

Was the 3DX5 Character Designer's Resource Pack updated from 5.4 to 5.5?  I'm seeing two links with different file size details - one indicating 3DX5 Character Designer's Resource Pack 5.4 but they point reference the same file download:

3DX5 Character Designer's Resource Pack (102 MB)
http://.../3DX5_Character_Designer_Resource_for540.exe

3DX5 Character Designer's Resource Pack for Version5.4 (84.2 MB)
http://.../3DX5_Character_Designer_Resource_for540.exe

Also, was the 3DX5 Character Designer's Resource Pack (FBX Format) updated as well?  Would be helpful to see revision dates on the Bonus content.

Cheers,

By Sifr - 11 Years Ago
Well I did it!!!! w00t

After all these years, & several trial versions later....... I finally updated from iClone 2.2 to iClone Pipeline 5.5(yeah I know right lol) & also I threw in the B2M/Earthsculpter combo pack, how convenient that the Earthsculpter comes with a plug-in for iClone(the main draw in for this last minute RL combo purchase).

Researching the Earthsculpter company website revealed the price is half the RL price but after the included content pack RL supplies with the combo pack and the RL discount on B2M v.s. the B2M company sites purchase price I feel satisfied with this combo purchase; not to mention they are also standalone &/or plug-in compatible with many of my other industry standard programs.

Now this is the program I thought I was buying 6 yrs. ago, +some more than I even expected, I mean just look at all the innovative tech that have appeared since then, i.e. Kinect that has been implemented into the iClone Pipeline suite as it matured over the years.
I think it's safe to say iClone is here to stay. What humbly started off as a novel toy(like many of the fodder mobile apps flooding the market now days) iClone is now a PRO suite. I.... & I repeat.... I.... me, myself & I speak for myself when I say this: I feel like I HELPED my kid take the training wheels off their bicycle. BigGrin

Fantastic job RL.
and I believe this is just the beginning, I have a track record of picking winners - Reallusion is a winner. Smooooth
By thebiz.movies - 11 Years Ago
Im loving the 62 bit version. Have not crashed in a while which is uncommon on my machine. Kinda reinvigorating me....
By animatom - 11 Years Ago
thebiz, if this is the case for 62 bits version, imagine that you have 2 bits more... Smile
By Pollux - 11 Years Ago
Thanks for the tip psd Smile
By mark - 11 Years Ago
By Jove, I think she's.... I mean they got it!!!!BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

By colour - 11 Years Ago
mark (8/12/2013)
By Jove, I think she's.... I mean they got it!!!!BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

...................and; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4lJUzrgSJA BigGrin

By thebiz.movies - 11 Years Ago
animatom (8/12/2013)
thebiz, if this is the case for 62 bits version, imagine that you have 2 bits more... Smile

I may have been a BIT (or two bits) tipsy at the time of posting. Hehe.
@Pollux - my pleasure, I hope you enjoy! Smile
By lynn3d - 11 Years Ago
Thank you to all in the RL team Smile

Motion-plus arrived just in time. Animating a couple dancing old western style, it will be very handy to replicate on to several couples dancing in a circle.
By Pollux - 11 Years Ago
planetstardragon (8/12/2013)
@Pollux - my pleasure, I hope you enjoy! Smile

Oh...yes, so much that I'm using it to make the title of my new video clip Smile

By dkelso6372 - 11 Years Ago
Videos rendered in 64 bit new wmv. format had no video when added to the timeline of Sony Vegas Pro - the description at the bottom of the explorer read "stream attributes could not be determined". There was no problems with MP4. Both played fine on the Windows Media Player. I solved this problem by converting wmv. to wmv. on a Realplayer Converter.
Oh, hawt dayawm!!!!
Reallusion....allow me to sing your praises with 5.5!

One of my biggest thanks is to finally adding .wmv and .mp4 to the 64 bit version! This will make it TONS easier to save space on my hard drives, AND still produce high quality, hi-definition (full 1080p) video!

I still have to use some Neo-Old School techniques for some of my effects shots....but they look beautiful, even when exported to MP4 format.

Come on, now....give up some love here! Smile

martok, that upper picture is also from iClone? Looks like very good use of toon stuff, tell me it is from iClone?
By mark - 11 Years Ago
Ditto on not being able to load an iClone 5.5 rendered .wmv into SONY Vegas. Rats!!w00t

And while on that topic thought I would do a quick non-scientific test of a scene, from an old project idea, rendered as an MP4 and as an uncompressed AVI. Then do a side by side ...

You be the judge Wink

By colour - 11 Years Ago
mark (8/13/2013)
Ditto on not being able to load an iClone 5.5 rendered .wmv into SONY Vegas. Rats!!w00t

And while on that topic thought I would do a quick non-scientific test of a scene, from an old project idea, rendered as an MP4 and as an uncompressed AVI. Then do a side by side ...

You be the judge Wink

Well - IMO, Uncompressed RAW AVI is going to beat any Compressed Video Format, Mark. But IMO, it can't be transported over the Internet, hence Compressed File Formats.

Well this is weird. I get crisp as a pin renders from H.264 but from AVI I get lousy aliasing and this has been the way since iClone v.5. I don't know why. Now even on a superior machine by far....... same issue.

So what would give me these results? Everything is updated.

By mark - 11 Years Ago
Well just to be make sure...you did check the "Final Render & Anti-alised" boxes under the Render Quality settings tab in the Export Modify menu.Smile

Cause there is no reason for the problem you have with uncompressed .avi's. They should always look better Wink
animatom (8/13/2013)
martok, that upper picture is also from iClone? Looks like very good use of toon stuff, tell me it is from iClone?

LOL! I wish I could, animatom, but alas, it is just an image I downloaded off of Google, to convey my thanks to iClone. It would've been more appropriate to have done some kind of iClone image...I'll see what I can whip up. Smile
All right, martok. Never mind; I asked because I'm still searching for best way to achieve that kind of look in iClone so I was fishing for some advice.
If you will have some, don't hesitate to whisper. Smile
Thanks
Animatom,

Here's something I did in just a matter of minutes....

If you think this looks ok, let me know. I didn't really do anything special, I just clicked on "Toon Mode" under Atmosphere. (I didn't click on the "Line Draw" mode under the content manager, because line mode tends to take away light shadings and makes the image appear less dynamic, unless that's what you're going for) Smile In which case, clicking on "Line Draw" mode would look something like this:

As you can see...in "Line Art" mode, the lighting is brighter and a bit more universal...note how the Centurion at the lower right seems to have its shiny details sort of washed out, but it definitely looks more cartoon-like. Also, note the holographic table under the large image of the Gold Centurion.....if you compare, the "Toon Mode" version on top, there's a bit of shading going on on the underside of the table. In "Line Art" mode, the shading is gone, making for a flat, yet again, more cartoon-like render.

The reason the holographic Gold Centurion looks unaffected between the two pics is because images placed in the scene are not re-rendered. I had to shoot that image separately, and render it in Toon Mode in a different project so that it would translate as a Toon image here. If I had rendered the image without Toon Mode, it would not have gotten the Toon/Line Art renderings of the physical objects in the scene. As indictated in the following image:

Animatom and Martok you're output is superb.

It looks great, martok. Thanks for that.
My goal is to achieve something like Borderlands look, what includes hand painted textures - and for that I don't have time right now, so I can only imagine what can be done with your skills and, let say, Wacom tablet. ( this second thing I have )
Here is closest I came to look I want - with NPR effect, not with toon shader because I don't want to loose ability to toy with lights. I put glow texture over every diffuse map to avoid too realistic shadowing, because I think somewhere in glow maps or self illuminated drawn textures department is key to toonish look I want.

Will see how it goes...
Thank you again for great examples. It will go to my Tutorials/examples folder immediately.

Foggy thoughts and misted outlooks cleared with 5.5's "1 to " value in Fog Setting.

Talking of Mist and Distance Haze.... as I inevitably do from time to time often from behind compressed temper... I'm pleased to say that with Iclones Mist control returning to 99,999 at the infinite balancing planes and "quick fixing" global smoothing as it were is a lot easier now.

For rough example...

Pushing the bases of distant mountains into white is a lot easier now as the planes "ground collision" seems to soften with the addition of a global mass of universal mist using the IClone system.

Above is mistless & fogless.

Above we see the massive difference of being able to infinitize the mists distance level away from the camera. A smooth overall which disappears as we approach the landmass. Mist planes cannot do this. But.... it's still not enough and we see the mountains as kind of flat still.

Above I've started to use very short depthless and "white transition x mountain width" controlled planes to isolate the fall off into white bases. So the planes drift from 0% - 20% to 35% - 0% opacity from core to edge in very low / short ovals.

(ABOVE) Without the global IClone controlled mist the skies are too bold  but because I can now add a global degree of haze without having to worry about rebalancing the mountain specific planes it saves extortions of time by simply adding volume haze rather than plane haze.

Above Which is what I've done here at 3000 - 78555. I don't want to get into overkill regarding Misting out elements but this is a Chinese Garden and I need the mountains to look as they do in the Chinese Paintings traditionally so out of respect the effort wont be missed.

The westerner wouldn't bother with it, but the traditionalist might enjoy its observation.  So it stays.

And tooned (which is its first birth on screen which afterwards transitions into normal un-tooned mode) it makes me happy to see the above.
Each Mountain Range has its base-fog pulling the detail into white as mist which contrasts with the clouding above.

The above displaying one of the broad planes oblique to the lscape with the alpha threshold set to zero so's we can see its recessive curvature away from the lens. (which helps when there are many and AO being used.)

Probably doesn't mean much to many... Tongue but as with most peculiarities of animators, it means a lot to me. Cool

Armstrong.

Top marks for Reallusion re: making it incredibly easy to blend four textures and normal maps together and change hue, contrast and intensity to compliment its surrounding textures.

This is much better. Cool

The other superior element to it is that definition stays now; no greasy smeared ground surfaces.

Armstrong.

By FreddyKrueger - 11 Years Ago
Just a quick question. Anyone else have issues with flexible cloth 'stuttering' when you render a scene? I have a scene with a flag in it that is blown around in the wind. I went down to 5.4 and it was smooth flag like motion, in 5.5 it works smooth and it behaves like a flag until I render the scene. As it renders it starts stuttering and going back and forth like its stuck on two frames. From there, if i try to play the clip in the viewer again, the stuttering is on constantly.

Maybe something to look into for flexible cloth issues...

Armstrong, that is some gorgeous work there. Smile
By moviemachine - 11 Years Ago
As a cranky old complainer about the wrong direction I felt iclone was going, today I feast on humble pie and congratulate Reallusion on the stellar 5.5 release.
Things I luv...
- Motion Plus! it's going to be a mocap killer for many users.
- H264, the renders are amazing and my editing using Corel Video Studio is super fast.
- 64 bit stability has been great... only a rare crash when I use some older content.

Anxious to see all the great new content by the modders especially in the area of Motion Plus.
Iclone 5.5 is a five star update.
moviemachine (8/15/2013)
As a cranky old complainer about the wrong direction I felt iclone was going, today I feast on humble pie and congratulate Reallusion on the stellar 5.5 release.
Things I luv...
- Motion Plus! it's going to be a mocap killer for many users.
- H264, the renders are amazing and my editing using Corel Video Studio is super fast.
- 64 bit stability has been great... only a rare crash when I use some older content.

Anxious to see all the great new content by the modders especially in the area of Motion Plus.
Iclone 5.5 is a five star update.

Make that a five point five star update Smile
By col757 - 11 Years Ago
YEAH iclone 5 is here and you still cant create characters, only modifying exsisting ones woooooo!