Upcoming G5 Game Bone Character Promotion

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic159769.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By KaiD - 11 Years Ago
Hi all!

You may already know about our monthly Marketplace promotions from Bruce's post here.

If you missed it, be sure totake a look at our brand new, revamped Theme Promotion Page! These monthly themes will be heavily promoted by Reallusion in banners, newsletters, and other marketing material. We've provided the schedule ahead of time to allow you to organize your upcoming content production scedule in order to maximiize the exposureand sales of your content.

One of the best upcoming promotional opportunities will happen in December, with our Low-poly G5 Game Bone promotion. The G5 Game Bone is an exceptional new developer tool that Reallusion has provided to help you to produce the best looking and most functional models that don't take up tons of resources.

The G5 Game Bone is also brand new to the Marketplace, so there is tons of demand and sales potential for low-poly characters based on this new rig. We will be heavily promoting developer G5 Game Bone characters both in Reallusion and external marketplaces as well. Be sure to pick up the Facial Pipeline Pack, which includes the G5 Game Bone, and get started!

To further aid you in your quest to produce characters based on the G5 Game Bone, we've decided to offer the whitepaper free of charge to anyone who is interested in developing; you no longer need to be a Reallusion member! So if you have friends, or know anyone who is interested in producing characters based on the G5 Game Bone and making money in the Marketplace, you know where to direct them! Download the FREE G5 Game Bone Whitepaper here.

If you're not familiar with character modeling or rigging, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube using various software that show you exactly how to do it. We encourage all of you to give it a shot, and if you're still not up to it, notify a friend who might be! As always, feel free to contact me at kai@reallusion.com if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

Kai

By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
hi Kai,

this is really nice content and I would like to use. But have you ever calculated, what a content developer has to buy, before he can begin to develop content for iClone?

Greetings
Tesira

By KaiD - 11 Years Ago
Hi Tesira,

Depending on what sort of content you want to create, you will need to invest in different software.  For example, with character creation you'll likely need to pick up a copy of 3DS Max or Maya in order to do all of the rigging and skinning.  However, you can also use something like Blender for free.  Creating unique content takes time, resources, and dedication, but the rewards are well worth it.  You can hone your skills and become good at something, and make money by selling it in the Marketplace and Content Store as well.   

The Facial Pipeline pack has 3 unique fully-rigged character models as well as the G5 Game Bone, which gives you a big head start to developing your own character.  It might not be for everybody, but I can let you know that Reallusion plans to focus on this sort of simplified bone rig in the future.  Just like any hobby, you can spend as little or as much as you want on it.  Keep in mind though, with content development, you can make that money back as well. Smile

By duchess110 - 11 Years Ago
You say free G5 Game Bone Whitepapers.

The page from what I can see does not show any free G5 Game Bone whitepapers.

So now confused. That does not take much these days.

Are you refering maybe to the G5 Charater Whitepapers or is there a step by step in the facial pack that I cannot see.

By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
hi Kai,

well I develop for some years now content for iClone. Sometimes I was in the top seller list with my child characters, which I have had sold 6-10 times.
If here are developers, who really have made much more money with selling content in iClone, than they have spend in software and content, I would like to know them.

Greetings
Tesira
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
this is really nice content and I would like to use. But have you ever calculated, what a content developer has to buy, before he can begin to develop content for iClone?

Tesira , It is not a ready to use content, if you think , but a guide to master the supreme disciplineBigGrin
It is a rig without mesh. You need modeling and whitepainting your own Character of course.

I belive Its not so easy, like it sounds BigGrin

By KaiD - 11 Years Ago
Sorry for the confusion, I'm a little rusty at the forum thing! Tongue

The G5 Game Bone Whitepaper link will be up in this post later today, and probably today/tomorrow in the Developer Resource Center. You can also email me and I can send it to you that way if you'd like.
By KaiD - 11 Years Ago
Proper link is up folks... enjoy! 

For those interested, here's a quick 7min tutorial that outlines the basics of how to rig and skin in Blender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-rhD4PV1Fc

You may need to do some minor skin-weight editing depending on your character, but this should get you started. Smile

By vidi - 11 Years Ago
For those interested, here's a quick 7min tutorial that outlines the basics of how to rig and skin in Blender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-rhD4PV1Fc

Hmm ? Hehesure that will work properly , because no Hip no abdomen no chest BigGrin

Also I think the main features should be facial Game Bones. BigGrin

Ok I'm actually here with a another issue

I'm just study your whitepaper and I noticed there is a mistake in the description.

In the Image left, would be the Tongue on the LowerLip , but in the Image right the Hunters Tongue Bones is on the Jaw Bone, what make more sence for me.

Very good description, I'm learning a lot from this Smile

additional I recommend this facial bone rigging tutorial. http://eat3d.com/facialrig
Not all in this tutorial is necessary to learn, and it is not necessary to have maya , but it learn the basic of facial bones settings and weighting.

Another Question, is necessary to have the tongue bones for a auto-convert to an iClone compatible rig ?
I want recreate my own bone setup with your Guide , but I want to do without the tongues Bones.
By Vit3D - 11 Years Ago
Hi Vidi,

Left image is correct -- it shows that LipLower and TongueR have the same hierarchical level (column position for these bones is the same). And both these bones linked to the Jaw bone.
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Ok, you are right Smile
it's looked for me first, as if it is subordinate to the Lowerlip nodeHehe

Also You know , if it is necessary to have all bones for the auto converting ?

Still is it for me to try to understand everything theoretically without practical exerciseBigGrin

At the moment I construct my own Bone setup . I need it , to converted it to my own workflow.
I hope I understand it right , I need only the same bone naming and hierarchy. What is with the Rotation order, is there a Rule, too ?
By Vit3D - 11 Years Ago
Hi Vidi,

G5 Game skeleton system is some sort of standardization. It is very well constructed and rather flexible, but for using automatic converting feature You should follow all rules exactly (including described bone orientation). If You will make any skeleton modifications (customizations) You will need to convert G5 Game character manually.
If You have some other technical questions, please send me PM ...
By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
Well I have named all my bones, how suggested in the tutorial and have brought my character in 3dXchange. But there was not an automatic converting. Dos it mean, I again need the pipeline for this, or is there an uodate for 3dXchange?

Greetings
Tesira
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Dos it mean, I again need the pipeline for this, or is there an uodate for 3dXchange?

No not Update or pipeline needed .BigGrin Have you use the Game bones from RL ? if not Maybe it is not only labeling new your bone . Maybe the exact Bone Hierarchy is important . Or you has a spelling mistake
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
including described bone orientation

Where can I find this ? I would like to see a Rotation Order Guide, especially for me.BigGrin

So for each Bone what is right XYZ, XZY, YXZ, YZX, ZXY, or ZYX. That is the part of Rigging that confuse me BigGrin Maybe because I have a weakness right links Laugh

My Problem I can not import and use the Game Bones in my favorite Rigging Programm .

Although, I can it import in Cheetah , but there, the weightpainting tools are not so nice and make fun.

But, actually manually is OK for me too . I think is start now with the facial rigging and see what happens Smile
By Vit3D - 11 Years Ago
Here the link to my demo video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbF7qfKPVM

Maybe it will help to understand G5 Game character creating...
( Better to watch in Full HD Smile )
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Nice Video very helpull Smile I am very motivatedBigGrin

very Nice Charakter too CoolGood Job !

I like Characterdesign BigGrin
By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
hi vidi,

oh thanks, yes,this was really a misspelling of one bone. Now I have the automatic convertion. But now I'm fully confused.
Before I have converted it with Maya Human Bones and all was ok, I only have had to map the face bones every time. But now, if I choose the automatic convertion all is fully messed and my character is folded in a right angle. So what is false now?

Greetings
Tesira
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Sounds to me the weights are not correct.

Can you show a screen ?

What is if you try it fit manually with the expression editor?

By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
hi vidi,

the weight is correct, if I convert with Maya Human Bones. I can activate the T-pose and bring the character to iclone. There the animations work well and also the face bones are ok after mapping. Only the automatic convertion dosn't work. I think, the bones must have a other direction for the automatic convertion. But I have nothing found in the withepaper to this topic.

Greetings
Tesira
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
the weight is correct, if I convert with Maya Human Bones.

What mean you exact ? if you put the RL Bones or your own Bones in a Mesh, to need still to weight it. I think not that is automatically correct

... also my question again , what is if you use manually Expression editor ? works this ? or deform the mesh too

however maybe your should make a screen

By Vit3D - 11 Years Ago
Hi Tesira,

You are right for automatic conversion ALL bone's axis must have the same aligned --
up direction - Y
right direction - X
front direction - Z
In most 3D applications bone's axis typically aligned to bone length, but this not work with current Automatic conversion setting.
So to solve this problem You should convert character manually or re-align all bone's axis (as described in Whitepaper).
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
including described bone orientation

Where can I find this ?

again ....
or re-align all bone's axis (as described in Whitepaper).

What mean you ? I can not find this information in the whitepaper
Where can I find "the rotation order is .... bla..". Maybe my lack of english ? BigGrin
By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
Thanks vit,

I have thought so. Well the manually convertion isn't such a problem, if I save the profils. And all dos work well with it. But will try to get also the right bone direction for automatic convertion. Now the mare dos call me for a short holiday, so iClone must wait.

Have a nice weekend
Tesira
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Well the manually convertion isn't such a problem

schön bei dieser Gelegenheit doch endlich mal zu erfahren das manuelles Einstellen funktioniert BigGrin

By Vit3D - 11 Years Ago
See Sec 3: G5 Low Poly Skeleton Setup (just after Pic G) -
"All bone local rotational axis values should aligned to the world."
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
All bone local rotational axis values should aligned to the world.

I have no Idea what that means BigGrin Maybe a Max thing ? Hehe

If I rigg a body I have a Guide that has different Rotoation Order for each part

For Body yzx for arms xzy for toe zyx ...
A rotation order of zyx means that the "twist" will be along the Z axis. The bend and side to side will be along the other two. It is ESSENTIAL that the first order of rotation is along the axis that the actor would naturally twist.

By Vit3D - 11 Years Ago
Yes, this documentation oriented on 3ds Max users...
If You have "Facial Pipeline Pack" just open "iClone GameBone Avatar.fbx" file in your 3D application and switch to manipulation in local coordinates (or something like this). This way You will see local bones axis orientation. All bones have the same orientation in local coordinates,You should use the same orientation for auto converting.
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
I can not import this rig in my 3D Programm, otherwise I would it use .BigGrin

You are right for automatic conversion ALL bone's axis must have the same aligned --
up direction - Y
right direction - X
front direction - Z

I do use yxz now
maybe that is I wanted to knowHehe

By vidi - 11 Years Ago
I was thinking too complicated.Hehe I thought Facial Bones just go with RL Bones Game structure.
Now I understand the procedure , That is incredibly awesome.

Also now I love Bones in face more than creating morphs.Tongue

All bone local rotational axis values should aligned to the world.

I have understand that now, too.

Learning by doing BigGrin
By kurzal - 11 Years Ago

"If you want something done, do it yourself"... Zorg was right! BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin
So, take a deep breath and dive into a new and mysterious world of modeling of my own characters. What awaits me there? Sculpting-retopology-rigging-converting... anything else? Something like "blood, sweat and tears" I suspect? BigGrin But there is no other way. Cool And that's fine. Smile
By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
Well kurzal, true said, I wouldn't like so much, to give my tears for this. A hobby should bring joy. But until now Im frustrated. Also if I attatch all bones to y, so the automatic convertion dosn't work with Shade pro. Would like to hear, if somebody has brought it to work with a other 3d program than Max.

Greetings
Tesira

By kurzal - 11 Years Ago
Blender is my choice Smile and modeling of characters for me is still a novelty... but if things turn out well, I will be sure to tell about it on the forum. And I hope that all will turn out well! BigGrin
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Actually for me it work with cheetah 3d , but I like not the weightbrush and workflow there.

Here you can see it "work" , but like I say, it needs adjustment with the Bone influence .
That is called weightmapping and it is not automatically correct, because every Mesh is different . How You should paint the weightmapping areas, is describe in the whitepaper .

Game Bone is only a premade rig that you can use, but it is not necessary.

I love the weightbrushing in DAZ/studio, and because I can not import the Game Bone Rig, I have now create my own rig and I have realy realy fun. BigGrin

By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
hi vidi,

yes in shade I also have this weight painting and also an automatic binding, which dos work very well. And as long as I dont use the automatic convertion in 3dXchange all dos work well and also all weights are right.
But if there is the possibility of an automatic convertion, so sure I also would like to use. Smile

Have a nice weekend
Tesira
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
yes in shade I also have this weight painting and also an automatic binding, which dos work very well.

I have opened shade again and gave it a try , but I close now again BigGrin it is too confusing for me. Maybe I have no realy interest in this software and learn this GUI to use Hehe

Actually My DAZ CCT have pampered me too much
and I do not want to change my pipeline more.
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
I'm done .BigGrin
I'm happy with the results so far
Such a awesome tool. I have no problems with retarging the facial bones, adjust the expression and . automatically Eyeblinking works too.

Now I want finetuning all a little bit

e.g. the calibration animation for the finger looks good in xchange, but not realy in iClone. actually only the thumbs . is there a trick to fix this a
maybe a special thumb pose or rotation

Anyway I have so much learned, also what I do make better with the next character and how I speed my workflow

Thank you RL it is a joy work with
xchange is a gift for developers Kiss
It's a nice feeling to create my own character and bring to life Smile
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Can me Someone tell me how the rotaion order, for the eyes is
All works nice. look at camara ist correct but only eyes convergence is not right
Outwards and inwards rotating wrong . Maybe Someone knows and I can save my time to to find out self

Thank you ! Smile
By Vit3D - 11 Years Ago
Hi Vidi,

Normal Eyes operation in G5G depends from several factors:

1 How You "attached" Eye mashes to head.
Eye meshes should be not only skinned to eye bones, but also linked to them.

2 How You set up key-frames for eyes in preset sequence.
You should maximal, but possible for humans eye rotation and You should rotate not meshes, but bones only.

3. How You "map" Eyes in 3DX.
You should map only eye bones, but not eye meshes.

Check all of this and maybe this fix issue.
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
not only skinned to eye bones, but also linked to them.

How You set up key-frames for eyes in preset sequence.

You should map only eye bones, but not eye meshes.

w00t ??? What ? BigGrin

Sound very strange all to me. I think max is more complicated as it should be Tongue

Maybe you not understand me . I mean, look at camera works already , but only the eye convergence(in the look at menue) rotate up and down not outwards and inwards . I think it is a rotation Bone thing, that I can fix with the proper rotation order.

By vidi - 11 Years Ago
I have solve this . The Pivot for the Z axis from the Eyebone was not correct adjusted.Smile

By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Yeah ! self is the women BigGrin
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
... Amen Laugh
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
I'm Sorry ! I have no unexpected results inside 3dxchange!
Also I have no question more that looking for answer Wink
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Can Somebody tell me how this A-to-Z Lip-sync Test File is named ?
I can not find this file on my messy hard drive BigGrin

Thank you ! Smile
By duchess110 - 11 Years Ago
In the Designer Pack there is Lipsync Test.iTalk file I think this is the A_Z
By vidi - 11 Years Ago
Designer Pack
That is the key BigGrin

Thank you Smile. I have searching Pipeline, facial Lip sync etc.Hehe
By Bigboss - 11 Years Ago
I finally completed my Character in time for the Promotion... Hope you like it. Smile

Cheers...

Have fun ! Smile

By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
hi Bigboss,

I like your character Smile
Well I have tryed and so finally also my Sonia is come to life with game bones. Smile It is again a character with only 9090 faces.

Have a nice start in the new week
Tesira
By Bigboss - 11 Years Ago
Wow! This is a really nice character Tesira and the skinning looks very well done!

You did a wonderful Job! Smile
By Tesira - 11 Years Ago
Thank you very much for your comment Smile
By KaiD - 11 Years Ago
Hey all, we've decided to delay the launch of our big G5 Game Bone character promotion until December, so that gives you another 2 months to whip up some content based on this flexible and low-resource bone rig.  It will be a big promotion with lots of potential for sales within the Reallusion community and abroad, so don't miss your chance to publish something great for this holiday sale! Smile   
By uvz - 8 Years Ago
Has any one found a good solution to the GameBone rigging ? Is there a video ? I wish to rig character for game. I have iClone 6 Pipeline but 42,000 Polygon characters are way beyond the Game Character requirement. I want a solution for 2500 - 4000 polygon character that can be used for Mobile Game Development.