Make a camera orbit around a character

Posted By Dragonskunk 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Popeye
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
elektron2kim (1/19/2015)
Popeye (1/19/2015)
Forgive me if I am reading this wrong but why not just try a simple way. Using the keyframes. Add a new camera a start. Move timeline and camera view so a keyframe is added on so on. Play the recording and the camera rotates around the subject.

This is how I used to do it "in the good old days"

Nothing wrong with the good old days. When I had dancers change motions and positions after a perfect camera movement as you say I reconsidered it. It always went off on something and required quite some editing of the keyframes. Especially if I decided to put 3 characters instead of 1, but I still use the technique with primitives as a safeguard of not losing a great move of the camera when I might change the other props and characters.

Essentially, it's the same thing. A perfection of it.

Oh Thank god for that eh? With the Keyframe method it is practise to get perfection. It is an Art

Does this make me an Artist? He He WinkWinkWink

Click on the link below to visit my marketplace
http://city.reallusion.com/store/popeye

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/740bb8f0-5980-4577-ba69-295d.png

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Dragonskunk (1/19/2015)
So I could create a dummy cylinder,
center it to the character's approximate center,
attach the cylinder to the world,
place the camera at the rim of the cylinder,
then make the camera look at the cylinder's axis,

But can I attach the camera to the cylinder's rim then turn the cylinder?

You may have already noticed there are multiple ways to do this.  Smile

What you described should work well.  You do not need to "attach the cylinder to the world" but other than that it sounds fine.

If you avatar walks while the camera circles, then I would just move (key frame) the cylinder to match the character's motion pretty well.

The size of the dummy objects don't matter.

You could use a sphere or cube.  Place it near your avatar's chest or head (depending on the view you want).  Shrink it some so it's not too annoying.  Check the "USE AS DUMMY" property on the prop.

If you LINK the camera to the dummy, then move/rotate the dummy.

Um, yeah, pretty much what you said, above.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Right! I get it, because a dummy object (parent) causes its (child) objects including a camera to pivot to the same axis, there is no need to make a physical anchor to a prop.

Thanks all for your prompt responses.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

a lot of the concepts and techniques applicable in iclone you probably already know from other animation softwares - in this case it's really just understanding the terminology and work flow used in iclone ( which is noob friendly ♥ lol ). I learned this from the other way around, I started 3D with iclone and when I branched out I found it was the same thing with a different term in a different panel and more choices. Reallusion just makes the 3D concepts easier to digest with their approach.

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I am assuming panning shots is the goal of the Original Post.

Here are a couple more options which are easy to do, and once done they can be applied to future projects as props or accessories.

This is all done inside iClone, but importing props with ready made commands is an option too, which I have done in the past. They are only tools after all.

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
Edited
9 Years Ago by Cricky
elektron2kim
elektron2kim
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)Veteran Member (584 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Popeye (1/19/2015)
elektron2kim (1/19/2015)
Popeye (1/19/2015)
Forgive me if I am reading this wrong but why not just try a simple way. Using the keyframes. Add a new camera a start. Move timeline and camera view so a keyframe is added on so on. Play the recording and the camera rotates around the subject.

This is how I used to do it "in the good old days"

Nothing wrong with the good old days. When I had dancers change motions and positions after a perfect camera movement as you say I reconsidered it. It always went off on something and required quite some editing of the keyframes. Especially if I decided to put 3 characters instead of 1, but I still use the technique with primitives as a safeguard of not losing a great move of the camera when I might change the other props and characters.

Essentially, it's the same thing. A perfection of it.

Oh Thank god for that eh? With the Keyframe method it is practise to get perfection. It is an Art

Does this make me an Artist? He He WinkWinkWink

Funny. After that I made a project with 3-4 cameras having less keyframes than ever and then ran into keyframing the rotation of the floor!

http://www.youtube.com/user/elektron2kim?
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

planetstardragon (1/19/2015)
a lot of the concepts and techniques applicable in iclone you probably already know from other animation softwares - in this case it's really just understanding the terminology and work flow used in iclone ( which is noob friendly ♥ lol ). I learned this from the other way around, I started 3D with iclone and when I branched out I found it was the same thing with a different term in a different panel and more choices. Reallusion just makes the 3D concepts easier to digest with their approach.

Changing the axis of a camera was one of the things I could not find.

Working in iClone means I have to know what can I and can't do that the pro software can.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

that will have to come with time and experience - just keep posting questions on the forum, and we'll share the work arounds we've found and learned from others - some of the techniques the guys on the forum come up with are brilliant. Smile sometimes there are ways to go beyond the ui, that isn't common knowledge ...such as ini files and customizing certain features in icone not available in the preferences. Sometimes there are even hidden panels with no instructions on how to access it. Reallusion makes it simple for us new 3D guys, but they also occasionally add features for more experienced animators. Not sure how many there are in ic6 though!

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Just using what I learned.

The camera is parented to the blue sphere which is normally invisible. I didn't want to use 'look at' as I wanted the camera to have a more natural motion.

I would have even more control if I parented the blue sphere to another shape using just one for rotation and the other just for translation offering separate transform keyframes.

Edited
9 Years Ago by Dragonskunk
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Dragonskunk (4/25/2015)
Just using what I learned.

The camera is parented to the blue sphere which is normally invisible. I didn't want to use 'look at' as I wanted the camera to have a more natural motion.

I would have even more control if I parented the blue sphere to another shape using just one for rotation and the other just for translation offering separate transform keyframes.

The LOOK AT feature must be used in specific cases. The use cases are different depending on what you want to communicate.
Edited
9 Years Ago by prabhatM

Reading This Topic