Profile Picture

IClone 6 installed on AlienWare Alpha ASM100

Posted By richoK 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
richoK
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi all,

Recently I installed IClone 6.02 onto AlienWare Alpha i7, get it running. Played 'Courtyard' demo project to see it's working on max. 20 fps. However when I click open or save project, IClone 6 crashed with the message 'IClone 6 AP has stopped working'. Open or save the project inside Content Manager works. I also got CrazyTalk Animator 2 running without issues.

Is this something to do with Windows 8.1 or is my PC? Just wondering of any of you have Windows 8.1 facing these issues when running IClone 6? Thanks.

Specs:
Machine: Alienware Alpha i7
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: ASM100
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4765T CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GPU
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi Rich,

Firstly, welcome to our awesome community! - always great to have new artists join us!

2nd, it's hard to tell simply by the amount of things that can cause such a crash.

I'm assuming with a machine like that, you are up to date with all the latest video drivers and windows updates ....so for brevity, I'll move to 2nd thoughts....

try testing out a few other projects and see if you have the same results.

also, can you give more specs on your video card model please ? would like to see it's benchmark rating.... also maybe with the same project, you can test it again, but this time lower the real time quality - up at the top is a drop list that has a selection of qualities - "high, medium, custom, quick mode" - select quick mode, this can help reveal if your card is struggling - for example, if you get more stability on a low real time setting - then we can focus in on your gpu, if not, then we go a different trouble shooting path.

also, this is a nice simple tool for monitoring your gpu performance for any visual indications of stress - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Cheers! Smile

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

also, I just did a quick search on the model you posted on thread title -

the model chip number is suspiciously missing from many places I looked - meaning that usually nvidia releases a number ...so it leaves me wondering why they hiding it with a generic name lol .... BUT i did find a clue on newgg that it's based on the maxwell architecture - so that means it's a good quality - but their reluctance to say a model number makes me wonder if this is one of those corner cutting inventions from nvidia

so far I know the maxwell to be the 970, 980, and 770 cards all of which are high performance, but your system looks like a hybrid of a desktop with laptop technology, meaning that this could very well be an onboard chip ...which introduces a new problem of cooling. Which this is now intel's path to the future of making all in one motherboards, as they have discontinued focusing on new model desktop boards. While more cpu's for desktops will come out, chances are we are in the last generation of new socket designs for desktop cpus at least through intel. This may change in the future with dx12 where AMD will be a desktop powerhouse...dx11 currently favors nvidia.

it sorta sucks, while computer manufacturers are aiming more for the mobile market, and creating units like this, games and 3D programs are aiming for the desktop market from the amount of power needed to run them in best quality... ( more power better cooling )

simply put, an onboard chip will never have the cooling performance like a card in a desktop, - because it doesn't have the room to add a water cooling system to keep the gpu cold enough to perform under heavy stress. I'm sure these new units have game developers going nuts trying to optimize their games to run efficiently on them lol.

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
richoK
richoK
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)Junior Member (249 reputation)

Hi planetstardragon,

Thanks for your welcome.
I assumed that desktop gaming PC will be the best option for any 3d applications. I've run application like Daz3d and Unity3d (I don't use them often), they works so far.

I've submitted the support ticket end of last week, and Peter from Technical Support did mentioned that this PC uses custom Nvidia Maxwell graphics chip. It's hard to say which graphic model exactly, I dunno why they need to hide the model number.

Anyway what I did here before hand:

1. Install IClone patch 6.02, Window Updates, Nvidia Updates (through NVidia Control Panel)

2. Switching Graphic Mode to DirectX 9, same issue occurs with the 'open dialog box'. Works with DirectX 11 without touching the 'open dialog box'

3. I choose "Run As Administrator", IClone 6 still crash when open 'dialog open box'. (also occurs with Graphic Mode DirectX 9)

4. Forced to save projects through Content Manager because it works.

I'm testing the Courtyard with different settings and will post it here.
Will be back.

richoK
richoK
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I played the 'Courtyard' Demo Project and test the render option settings (approximate fps):

High Setting with Tesselation Shadow Turn on = 11-14 fps
High Setting with Tesselation Shadow Turn off = 18-20 fps
Medium Settings = 24-32 fps
QuickMode Settings = 28-38 fps

colour
colour
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

"i7-4765T CPU @ 2.00GHz"

Just cruising byWink

IMO, your CPU doesn't meet iC6's Recommended Spec, which in reality should be considered the Minimum. You need 3.20 GHz & above for Running iC6.

Your CPU is below Medium Range Desktop CPU Spec. You need a Medium to High-end Gaming Desktop PC to Run any of iClone Versions. iC6 is the most demanding..

Just saying. No use struggling with an under-specced PC, IMO.

I wouldn't recommend that CPU even for very basic Video Editing Programs.   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

richoK
richoK
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi colour,
Thanks for your advice. Full desktop gaming PC will be the best option, otherwise switch to dx9 since i never use tessellation in anyway.
Edited
9 Years Ago by rich_joon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

yeah, that seems like the best option.

The unit looks really cool and modern, but it's not conceivable on how they could keep the unit very cool for high performance. In theory, all computers can go extremely fast, if they only had the ability to stay extremely cool. one could argue, that advanced cpus are simply more transistors that spread the heat generated from all the calculations being made thus making it easier to keep cool and not burn out while processing.

Zeronimo
Zeronimo
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
hello,
I have exactly the same problem on a new computer (3 days old Alienware Area 51 R2) with a fresh install of iCone 6 Pro, each time I use the MENU COMMANDS to open/save a project, import a file or render (picture and video) Iclone 6 Pro crash.
I can open without problems a project by the content panel on the left of the screen but can't save it.
I have no problems with iCone pro 5 and 3DXchange 5 Pro.

I have submited a ticket this morning, waiting for a solution.
The problem seems to be due to NTDLL.DLL

Application Error
-----------------

Nom de l’application défaillante iClone.exe, version : 6.0.1406.2, horodatage : 0x54d878fd
Nom du module défaillant : ntdll.dll, version : 6.3.9600.17736, horodatage : 0x550f4336
Code d’exception : 0xc0000005
Décalage d’erreur : 0x00000000000351ea
ID du processus défaillant : 0x46c
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01d078864a320298
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files\Reallusion\iClone 6\Bin64\iClone.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ ntdll.dll
ID de rapport : e3724147-e479-11e4-8259-cc3d82316531

config

Alienware Area 51 R2
CPU:Intel® Core i7-5960X 4Ghz (8 cores)
Memory ram:32Go Quad chaîne DDR4 à 2133MHz
GPU : Dual 24GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Z SLI

Translate with google translator
Edited
9 Years Ago by zeronimo
richoK
richoK
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for all these infos. Good to know what's not working on this PC.

I've decided to install IClone 6 back onto my old gaming laptop Asus G53S running Windows 7, which works OK and not the best, but it still works.

Reading This Topic