3DXChange5 PRO - Newbie Perspective

Posted By lpatter 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
lpatter
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Thank you Iclone for a wonderful product.
I have not viewed the video yet. Just wanted to see how easy it was to understand.
First of all I am extremely pleased with the potential of this software. I am able to access a whole new world of free or purchased items from other vendors that are not being supplied by ICLONE developers - except for a realistic chimpanzee/monkey. Nobody seems to like chimps.
Sketchup has been the best resource yet in terms of number of props and material color included.
3DS and FBX seem to be hit or miss with including the texturing and they take longer to process.

I have found the following.
1. Dinosaur skeletons
2. Famous buildings and monuments.
3. Antique automobiles, furniture ...
4. Junk
5. Household and commercial items
6. Science and education
Since most of my assets are props that will not move I am not exposed to problems yet

CAUTION
Make sure the source of the free item allows you to use it for commercial purposes or without restrictions at no charge. "Free" is not "Free".

MINOR PROBLEMS
1. The font for the labels are too small for my bad eyes.
I have not seen a preference page that allows me to change this.
2. Can't find the link from Iclone 6. But I know it is there.
3. SUBPROPS. It is not easy to find and eliminate parts of the prop and when it is exported to iclone all I have available I the ability to make it invisible.
It may take more time to build subprops in 3DXchabge that can be deleted in ICLONE.
4. Some large files take 45 minutes to convert even with my rugged ICLONE 6 computer
5. Could there be an option to batch change all nodes to subprops that will show up as suprobs not a list of materials in Iclone so it can be deleted in ICONE. Maybe I need to view the video
6. When it is converting it would be nice to have a progress bar.
7. Does not recognize earlier Sketchup versions or those after version 8.
Very happy with the purchase and with the sketchup community.
gridlost
gridlost
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (939 reputation)Veteran Member (939 reputation)Veteran Member (939 reputation)Veteran Member (939 reputation)Veteran Member (939 reputation)Veteran Member (939 reputation)Veteran Member (939 reputation)Veteran Member (939 reputation)Veteran Member (939 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Hey man! It's great to see a perspective on Exchange from a noob like myself. I agree that selecting Subprops is just deplorable. having to go through and click 1 by 1. Why can't you Shift Click select??? Ya, you can shift Click..... haighlights things in BLue, but you can't bloody check box those items all at once. Group selection is pointless if you can't Group Check box. Anything you Get from Google warehouse like homes and cars have like 4 billion sub props. Why Sketchup creates so many subprops is beyond me.

Now as for the current version of the model not being able to import any version higher than 8, this is an easy fix. Open Sketchup and Re-Save the Model as version 8 or lower. not hard to do, just drag down the list in the Save As. Also while in Sketchup you can do things like edit the model or Scene. For example in a house, you remove much more easier, doors, Plants and bushes. all of this lowers the poly count of the over all model.

One thing that erks me is that 3Dxchange Pipeline should be apart of the Pro Package. as should a modern city set. I found it disappointing that there were not any more models that were given to the Pro package owners verses the basic version. If its a pro version, that give us more. How about a full package of our choice from the Realusion Content store.

What I got instead was a 50% off coupon, as a welcome to the store now buy something quick, or loose it deal. I had no idea what I needed. I think I picked a smart package though.... I took the destruction building elements effects package.

Since the Purchase I have bought Substance Package, and some road and City packages from Vertigo. I am considdering on buying the Avatar Toolkit 2 or get the package that includes Toonmaker 1 & 2. I have a personal project comming up that requires some toon making. Just Avatar might be a good way to wet my appitite cheaply before getting the rest of the packages.
Then get the others as a package with Toontown or something.

Anyhow, I am happy to have bought Iclone. I have been watching it for over 2 years, waiting for the render engine to improve. It has and Now also is open to 3rd party render plugins. I am sure Indigo will not be the only plugin option. I am sure there will be a more animation able plugin in the future.

I purchased XChange because I Enjoy modeling in Zbrush, I have plans of importing Chacters made in Zbrush directly into Iclone.

Cool

Reading This Topic