Game Design Theory, WTF?!

Posted By planetstardragon 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 hours ago
I was going to respond because I find this is an interesting topic, but Viking did this already so eloquently!

I think you should distinguish between design and implementation. This comes of course from software development with which I am far more familiar. Before design even, you think about requirements. At that point you are not concerned about implementation (what OS, what programming language, etc.)

An equivalent for requirements for a game would be the story (I'm with sw00000p that without a story there wouldn't be much of a game) and details about that: characters, environment, etc. Hand in hand with that you have to consider the game genre.

There's much more of course, but I don't see how you could develop any game without some prep work before getting into the technicalities. Those come later.

Now I have to go to my IT job that pays the bills...Crying

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic