Changing the walk assigned via Persona

Posted By AverageJoe 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
AverageJoe
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Using the Motion Puppet, I can modify a walk cycle and save it. It saves as an iPuppet file type. How can I take that modified walk cycle and assign it to a character's persona? I suppose I can try to find the cycled part of the cycle, and try to isolate the walk start, the walk loop, and the walk end and do a collect clip, save to an iMotion file, modify the lua persona file to point to the new iMotion files. Is this the gist of it, or is there some hidden magical button that can do this? If there isn't, can one be added?
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
That's pretty much it. There is a good short cut, sort of. Wink

Make a copy of Any Persona, say.... Mason's.
Give it a name you like.
Open the persona copy in a text editor and find the walk motion entries.
Now, go find the motions (in iClone) that it references and load the start, loop, and end into the timeline.
Use Motion Modify on each motion to adjust it to what you want.
Collect each clip that you just modified. Using names that go together is helpful.
Open the persona copy in a text editor and find the walk motion entries (if you closed it).
Set the path and name for each of three motions.

If you changed the stride length, then you'll need to adjust the walk speed as well. It's up near the top of the file.

It's easier to use Motion Modify in many cases. You won't have to do any tedious cutting for the loops.
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

[deleted for inaccuracy]
Edited
9 Years Ago by wizaerd
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I just wrote a beginner quick tutorial on how to get a iMotion file from your time line and add it to a character's Persona. Sounds like that is exactly what you are looking for. The tutorial is aimed at adding a PerformCommand not a MoveCommand but the same process applies. Obviously if you want to replace the existing action (as opposed to add an action) then you will just modify the existing action entry as opposed to adding a new one.

See url https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic230772-385-1.aspx

Hope this helps.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I already figured most of this out, thanks. Modifying the lua is easy enough, it was really the means of modifying the walk cycle motion through the Motion Puppet that I was posting about. Isolating the appropriate cycle from within an iPuppet motion in order to assign as a default walk cycle to a character. This is the type of functionality I'd like to see implemented in IC. The motion puppet offers many more options than the Modify Motion method, but unless you could assign it to a character from within the application, it goes much unused. SO much potential with Personas, and it'd be nice to see IC give them some attention, to make them more easily accessible.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
I have many permutations of this, and I'll try and describe a few. Smile

My first inclination was to re-loop the animation so that it began with the feet together rather than at each end of a stride. This required new starts/ends as well.

I then moved on to just using a static pose for the beginning and end. Playing with the "Accelerate/Decelerate" speeds had a pretty big effect here. I found that rediculously fast worked best.

Finally, I decided it was best to just have the looping motion only. You don't need all 3 for it to work. Then I just manually put in the "neutral" standing pose. This allows for adjusting the blend.

You can also set the walk to always finish the animation (causes pace-in-place), or stop at exactly the end of the path (no matter the animation frame).

There is a setting for aligning the rotation of the avatar with the rotation of the hips in the previous clip. It works quite well if all, but is not compatible with the alignment tools in iClone. So if you manually align clips, the rotation part is done. This is intriguing for including actual movement sequences as Perform commands. If all your motion files start at 0,0,0 and have a rotation of 0,0,0 this method will create a perfect sequence of blended animations.

Reading This Topic