Posted By sharad.inc 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

bvh import from ipisoft into 3dxchange - bone mapping not working

Author
sharad.inc
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Dear Friends,

I have quite a few bvh files generated using ipisoft (i had used the export imotion in ipisoft which gave me a BVH as well). Until now I was using the BVH converter in iclone and using these files. But now that 3Dxchange5 is here i was trying to use it to import the BVH.

I am facing an issue with the bone mapping. I am using the custom profile for mapping and as you can see in the sample images below, i can't seem to get the correct mapping for the hip portion.
The mapping either takes the top part of the triangular hip portion or the right or the left but never the entire triangular part. The result in iclone is a twisted hip.

The mapping works fine for a BVH generated from a non-ipisoft source. The bone mapping happily takes the triangular portion of the hip.

Any do's and don't while importing the BVH generated in ipisoft?

Also, by using 3dxchange for BVH import is the motion 30fps now? The BVH converter used to have a 15fps restriction.

The BVH from ipisoft with the iclone rig

The BVH from a non-ipisoft source

The comparison of the 2 in iclone

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
try mapping the 3DX5 hip bone, to the root. - the longest bone exterior of the skeleton. If that doesn't work, swoops solution would be the best route...with either 3DS Max or Motionbuilder - or using the motion converter from IC4 - but i'm quite sure mapping to the root is the solution.

Edited
12 Years Ago by planetstardragon
sharad.inc
sharad.inc
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Thanks for the quick replies sw00000p and planetstardragon...

I could not get the 3Dsmax solution to work as I am not sure how to use the RL_CS_Bone. I tried using the procedure outined in this link http://developer.reallusion.com/whitepaper/Tutorial_CS/default.htm but after importing the BVH the motion is distorted. Also, i can see just the bip export option in #dsmax - how do i use that again in 3Dxchange.

@ planetstardragon : the mapping to the root gives better results for the hip but there is still the issue of the feet not moving.

Happy to report though that i have found a workaround. The BVH files i was trying to import were exported with iclone rig from ipisoft. I tried to export in other formats and then import into 3Dxchange - The export for motion builder from ipisoft -> and then using the Maya profile in 3Dxchange gives excellent results (no need to map any bones !). The ipisoft default rig sample BVH file on the ipisoft website also maps fine. So, time to get back to doing more mocaps in ipisoft Smile.

Hold on - My 2nd question still remains unanswered - is the 3dxchange export 30fps?

xaini_sam
xaini_sam
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Hello Everyone, am Xaini am basically graphics Designer, but recently i start working on Blender, iclone, maya, 3ds Max etc and am totaly new and i just learn from tutorials, i need help to solve the problem of importing .Bvh to iclone i spend alot time to search and fix this problem but failed. today i search and find your reply that use the RL_CS_Bone in 3ds max, will you please tell me the step by step tutorial to fix this please.

Reading This Topic