Profile Picture

3D experts & Storytellers - Your indicative rates for PAID freelance work?

Posted By pmaina 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

3D experts & Storytellers - Your indicative rates for PAID freelance...

Author
KenCoon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
There are many talented people on here. They can do almost anything you ask and many will do it for free if they are asked to help out.
Asking for a contracted position would be like a part time job for most of them because they are already working full time and doing this part time.
I make my own movies and try to do everything ( except female voices) myself to learn the program. I would not qualify for any position with you.
I do wish you the best in this undertaking though. I have always thought this program could make cartoons for Nickelodeon or the Cartoon Network if they wanted to.
KenSmile
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Why the cautious replies?

Every once in a while someone comes looking to hire some iClone talent.  Then they disappear.

I don't think they usually have evil intent, but the inquiries usually fizzle and die.  We're missing "success stories" where people here have responded to a solicitation and had good success.  Stories from either side.

Mostly, from what I've seen, we sometimes help each other out and get mentioned in the credits.  But it's mostly done for the fun and adventure of it, and being willing to share our talents.

Maybe if someone could share some success stories.  But would doing that merely increase the competition those brave few who have done (are doing) it?  Is they why we don't hear any success stories?

I've certainly seen some corporate training videos that could easily be done in iClone.  And I see commercials on TV that are no better than what I see posted here on the forum.

In a "movie" venture, I think iClone can excel as a pre-vis tool, and I've seen examples of that.

But making the big epic movie... I don't know who'd want to fund it.  Most people don't understand the cost (including me, though I know it would be a lot).  So it would probably have to be a labor of love.  Don't get me wrong; it would be fun to see a theatrical release of a "made in iClone" movie, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.  Could it?  Sure.  Will it?  Doubtful.

@pmaina...  So you're looking to collect talent?  Put me in the "script and story" category.  My rate would be "cheap."

By the way... what sort of budget are you thinking for making a movie?  $100,000?  Ten times less?  Or ten times more?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
hrmm, good idea JV - I guess I'll throw my 2 cents

I'm pro audio - award winning discography. mainly dance music / commercial radio, but not limited to. I've done legal consulting on the topic as well. - I've worn just about every audio hat, including performing live as a dj and running my own personal label for my compositions.

On Video - I do occasional freelance with character design, motion design, green screen renders for game / app developers and indie film makers, with great success.

I wouldn't call myself an expert in anything 3D at least not among the Titans on this forum,
(I'm an expert around my friends and family that don't know anything about 3D though lol ) I feel confident in calling myself a self trained CG Artist - which was the strong point that gets me the gigs to begin with.

oh and a big hug and ♥ to the forum and Reallusion for being part of my self trained 3D life, you guys are awesome and I couldn't handle the bugs i face without you!

and I agree with this quote, it's the moral of my story lol.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
justaviking (2/1/2015)

By the way... what sort of budget are you thinking for making a movie? $100,000? Ten times less? Or ten times more?

A bit of Forward Marketing, perhaps.

If he knew who to assign a particular kind of job with some indication on the cost, he could market "his services to his future clients".

He would "pick up the order" and pass it on to the talent here for execution.

That's the niche role he has for himself - "Getting the order".

Then once the team is in place, he could think of his own project.

Perhaps.
Edited
9 Years Ago by prabhatM
animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 minutes ago
I think the problem is kind of a Catch 22: without knowing anything about the kind of project, the style of animation, the level of detail required, etc. it's very hard to give an indication.

Also, is it fixed price or time and material. If it is fixed price how many revisions of the work are reasonable. In other words, if this is a serious proposition then much more clarity is required.

This is not meant as a downer, but it has to be financially interesting. That is my reason for caution. I also wouldn't be able to commit serious time right now, but I would in about six months.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

pmaina
pmaina
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

prabhatM (2/1/2015)
justaviking (2/1/2015)

By the way... what sort of budget are you thinking for making a movie? $100,000? Ten times less? Or ten times more?

A bit of Forward Marketing, perhaps.

If he knew who to assign a particular kind of job with some indication on the cost, he could market "his services to his future clients".

He would "pick up the order" and pass it on to the talent here for execution.

That's the niche role he has for himself - "Getting the order".

Then once the team is in place, he could think of his own project.

Perhaps.

..and everyone wins - right? So we do have business savvy iCloners... Smile

Let me clarify a few things please:
--------------------------------------

1. This thread is not for my own exclusive benefit - that's why its public. I could have just as easily assigned someone to PM all forum members individually and compile responses for my own use - but that's selfish, short term and wouldn't grow the community.

One unintended - yet positive - outcome of this post is that I expected replies within the art domain yet am seeing a lot of curiosity (albeit guarded) within the business realm.

2. I don't have a big epic high budget movie that am working on. Those dwelling on that are missing the point of this thread by a mile. Tongue

Am not assembling crew and cast. Am not hiring right now. What I am doing is catalyzing the inevitable switch of (willing) iCloners from general content development for the marketplace (no guaranteed returns for effort) to customized content development (fairly guaranteed returns for effort expended).

I am taking it further as well by including domains that REALLUSION have not yet considered such as SCRIPT WRITERS who may want to sell or license a script, VOICE ARTISTS who may want to make money off their unique voice or accent, Multilingual voice artists or just TRANSLATORS who speak multiple languages natively and wouldn't mind earning something from this.

The pool of talent here is IMMENSE and very broad!

3. Why not just scour the forums and showcases? Well, you have seen the comments here.. not everyone is interested in paid work. Others cant work on other people's projects - they want to do everything (despite the grim realities of attempting such an approach for anything but the simplest of projects).

4. Quality & Speed (tough combination). You only get that by being highly efficient and that means TASK DIVISION, SPECIALIZATION and assembly-line approach to animation.

5. I am especially keen to know about on those who have found their niche. Like for example, someone who specializes and takes pride in building props / sets / worlds but has no little interest in animating them. Then someone who would rather animate than build props. Then someone who would rather tell a visual story and are forced to learn iClone 3D because there is no other way to do it solo. Such a person would welcome a team that is willing to bring his vision to life. There are those who are keen about business potential of iClone content - and are just waiting for the right moment... I want to raise the probability of that moment happening sooner rather than later.

6. MOST IMPORTANT: This is not a thread for my exclusive benefit! It is for us all. If you can benefit from it as a financier or as a service provider/freelancer or any other way, by all means do so!

7. For those worried that it wont last... there are very few absolute guarantees in this world - if any. If you wait for absolute guarantees you will always be safe (not counting bad luck) but you will never achieve anything significant in your life. I like to work with probabilities and see how I can raise probability of a favorable outcome instead of leaving it all to luck/fate/karma. Smile

Best regards & Nice weekend to all!
Edited
9 Years Ago by pmaina
KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Others cant work on other people's projects - they want to do everything (despite the grim realities of attempting such an approach for anything non-trivial).
That part was not necessary.
Some of us do not have the talent or the knowledge to do professional work so we do these short movies to learn how things work and to get better at it.
We are not doing "non-trivial" things. They are important to us for different reasons.
Sorry if I do not fit your mold.
KenSmile
pmaina
pmaina
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

KenCoon (2/1/2015)
Others cant work on other people's projects - they want to do everything (despite the grim realities of attempting such an approach for anything non-trivial).
That part was not necessary.
Some of us do not have the talent or the knowledge to do professional work so we do these short movies to learn how things work and to get better at it.
We are not doing "non-trivial" things. They are important to us for different reasons.
Sorry if I do not fit your mold.
KenSmile

Oops! Written word.. tone is easily misunderstood. I used "trivial" in the formal sense (meaning something fairly simple and straightforward - not requiring significant resources or effort beyond one or two persons to achieve within reasonable timelines).

I can see your point though - people may take offense with the word due to its multiple meanings and lack of a way to project the neutral tone of my thoughts - so I have have edited out the unintentionally offending word.

Apologies if it offended you or anyone else. That was absolutely not my intent.
Edited
9 Years Ago by pmaina
pmaina
pmaina
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rampart (1/31/2015)
iclone is excellent hobby tool. I would be hesitant to take on iclone for my most used animation tool. Producing original content would have to be within your own ability and software tools. Iclone is not that tool.

No one cares, if you use their content as they let everyone use it. Yet, your clients would be really put out to have their "little Gecko" they thought to be original was being used by other persons.

If you were a Jim Henson type, and had the personality and ability to create a package like the Muppets you would not go forward until your characters were copyright and trademark protected. There is no way you could ever build a franchise without lawfully protected original content.

If you stay in hobby land should not make a difference. Anyone thinking of going beyond hobby land needs to have resources and ability to create their own unique content items, especially characters. That could be done by hiring artists for sure, but it would have to be done by contracted individuals. If you start to make money and you don't have creative controls in place you get to share the wealth.

Very good points. I have always believed that having a small piece of a gigantic pie is better than owning a small pie all by myself. Would rather own 10% of $100,000 instead of 100% of $1,000. So sharing wealth has its place. BigGrin

It takes longer and is far more expensive to create everything from scratch just so you can copyright or trademark everything. Just pick one to three things - the money makers and let those be unique, memorable and protected (design patent etc). "Protagonist", "antagonist" and maybe one supporting character for example. Why waste time designing a unique table or house or car (unless its the core of the story) if I can get one royalty free from Reallusion Content store?
Edited
9 Years Ago by pmaina
pmaina
pmaina
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

planetstardragon (1/31/2015)
they snickered at me when I predicted years ago that this was going to happen, i've been ready for it, apparently they weren't! I've been grooming them for you though! Cool

I agree that its not a matter of whether it will happen but rather when. This thread, like others before it, is merely a catalyst... accelerating the process by nudging people out of their comfort zones.. change is inherently disruptive and its natural to expect some resistance due to the uncertainties and new realities brought by the change.

Reading This Topic