reduce swing on arms during 'walk forward'

Posted By Darren01 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Darren01
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
hi
I'm hoping there is an easy fix to this
I've used the 'move/walk forward' function on my avatar.
Works fine, but the avatar looks like she's power walking - far too much swing on her arms!

I've fiddled with the 'motion modifier' panel, it has lots of adjustments like sway etc, but nothing seems to change the arm swing.

I still want the arms to swing, but reduce it.
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

thanks
Darren

colour
colour
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Gwynne G5 Character's Walk Forward Motion is natural, Darren. No Power Walking Wink

IMO, simplest Fix would be to Export Gwynne's Persona to your Deskop & Import that Persona into your Character, if it's a  G5 Character.

If not a G5 Character, see Screenshot for Editing Arms Motion Layer.

Screenshot

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited
9 Years Ago by colour
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
If your using the motion puppet (which I think you are because of your mention of the motion modifiers) try to reduce the exaggeration.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Darren01
Darren01
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

thanks for the replies guys
Colour - sorry forgot to mention I'm using a G3 character.
With the 'edit motion' that you demonstrate in your screen shot - that would mean I would have to key frame the arm swing manually wouldn't it ? (which would be a fair bit of work) Or is there just a way I can just limit the effect/travel of the automatic swing motion ?

thebiz - no I'm not using the motion puppet. I've just right clicked the avatar and chose the 'walk forward' motion. I don't know much about the modify motion panel, I just tried it as an option when I right clicked the motion in the time line. But it doesn't seem to apply to preset motions ie 'walk forward'

Edited
9 Years Ago by Darren01
colour
colour
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

"Darren01 (1/20/2015)
thanks for the replies guys
Colour - sorry forgot to mention I'm using a G3 character.
With the 'edit motion' that you demonstrate in your screen shot - that would mean I would have to key frame the arm swing manually wouldn't it ? (which would be a fair bit of work) Or is there just a way I can just limit the effect/travel of the automatic swing motion ?

thebiz - no I'm not using the motion puppet. I've just right clicked the avatar and chose the 'walk forward' motion. I don't know much about the modify motion panel, I just tried it as an option when I right clicked the motion in the time line. But it doesn't seem to apply to preset motions ie 'walk forward'"

"Colour - sorry forgot to mention I'm using a G3 character."

Which one, Darren?

If I have it, I'll play-around with it.

In the meantime, here's a very quick Screenshot., Follow the red underlining.

1) Violet G3

2) Drag Timescale Scrubber to Walk Forward left hand arm full extent.

3) Edit Motion Layer; Rotate Left Arm down a bit.

4) Repeat for Right Arm.

5) Play-back. Arms don't "Power Walk".

6) Collect Clip (If you want to) As new Walk Forward Motion  Haven't tested that yet. But should work .

7) You can use the Time Warp Curve Editor, to slow Motions-down, reducing the Power Walk. (More on that, if you want).

Screenshot:

Edited
9 Years Ago by colour
Darren01
Darren01
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

thanks again Colour for the assistance

The G3 base I'm using is Violet (clonecloth version) Btw, I have spring effects turned on, to make the movement a little more realistic. Does that effect things in regards to the swinging of the arms ?
Before I saw your reply, I got a bit impatient.... Tongue I ended up doing it the long way adjusting (motion editor) the position of both arms at the end of their swing for the duration of the walk - fortunately it was a relatively short walk! It worked, but obviously not exactly an efficient way of doing things.

But this character will be doing some more walking in this movie, so I'd like to try your suggested method. So have I got this right...
I adjust the limit of travel of both arms on one walk cycle. Collect the clip and use it as the walk motion instead of the standard walk motion associated with the avatar (ie right click 'walk forward) ? If this is what you are suggesting, then obviously I'd also need to move the avatar/transform or it will just walk in the one spot. Correct ?

Edited
9 Years Ago by Darren01
colour
colour
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Darren01 (1/20/2015)
thanks again Colour for the assistance

The G3 base I'm using is Violet (clonecloth version) Btw, I have spring effects turned on, to make the movement a little more realistic. Does that effect things in regards to the swinging of the arms ?
Before I saw your reply, I got a bit impatient.... Tongue I ended up doing it the long way adjusting (motion editor) the position of both arms at the end of their swing for the duration of the walk - fortunately it was a relatively short walk! It worked, but obviously not exactly an efficient way of doing things.

But this character will be doing some more walking in this movie, so I'd like to try your suggested method. So have I got this right...
I adjust the limit of travel of both arms on one walk cycle. Collect the clip and use it as the walk motion instead of the standard walk motion associated with the avatar (ie right click 'walk forward) ? If this is what you are suggesting, then obviously I'd also need to move the avatar/transform or it will just walk in the one spot. Correct ?

IMO:

1) Yes

2) Collect Clip should add new Walk Forward Motion to Character Perform Command. Name it Walk Forward 2, in Collect Clip save Pop-up. 

Darren01
Darren01
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ah ok, that's good
I'm not overly familiar with the collect clip function. I didn't know it gets added to the perform command. Very handy. I will have to start using it more

thanks again, you've been very helpful as usual!

Edited
9 Years Ago by Darren01
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
i'd use the motion puppet myself .....if the feet and everything else are right ....then I'd just erase the motions on the arms ...load a standard walk cycle, and just record new arm motions.
I'm sure there are other ways, but I'm even more sure they are more tedious than just recording new arm motions and calling it a day lol Tongue

Darren01
Darren01
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

just a bit of an update on this one - tip for people like me Smile

After some experimentation and help above from colour, I found if you are using a G3 character, I found the easiest way was just to create a path and use Gwyn's G5 walk motion rather than trying to modify the inbuilt 'move forward' function.

Reading This Topic