3dx wishlist replace mesh with fbx format

Posted By hattori kun 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
hattori kun
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I'm not sure if its possible to do this can't find it but 3dx has replace mesh but only able to replace with an obj file. It would be great if fbx format is support with replace mesh so that morphs would be imported as well that is embedded with the incoming fbx.
vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
You can already export as fbx with morph, but replace mesh changed only the geometry of the currently mesh .A another format as obj. is not usual and necessary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
9 Years Ago by vidi
hattori kun
hattori kun
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)

Is this possible?
I import a model created from other software and import in 3dx with morphs. Convert to non human and then characterize. Name to character A, done.
Later I want to slightly update that character so I export again new fbx from other software. In 3dx I want to open previous Character A and just replace the mesh.
I only found obj format supported not fbx for replace mesh import. So that means exporting out dozens of obj from other software and then import to 3dx one by one. So basically its just better to just redo whole setup.
vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Is this possible?

Yes that is the same in green, if you import (Open Option)a fbx with facial expressions morphs
a Morphs is a Morph , no matter you change only the mouth or the whole Body.
Important animation in the 3DXC import menue must be selected.

But if you want general replace the Shape of a Mesh For that you have the replace Mesh option. In this Option you only exchange the mesh with your new geometry

At the moment iClone supported no Morphanimation only the shapes, and also the acess about the Morph with Face Puppet ist not the best solution
I think we get with 3Dxchange6 more possibility in this case.

liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
9 Years Ago by vidi
hattori kun
hattori kun
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sorry my request might not be clear. I think there's some misunderstanding with the request.
Example
I have a character already characterized and face also already setup, pic 1.
I want to swap or replace it with an updated character later on. The option is only obj no fbx, pic 2.
Obj would mean I would have to import many obj with many morph info instead of one fbx with embedded morph info.
In other appz its possible to swap or replace a whole character with all its morph info with one step.
I tried to replace the mesh with an obj and ofcourse as expected the face setup is gone because obj has no multiple embedded morph info.

vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I'm sorry is to difficult for me to explain proper with my lack of english .
Option Replace mesh , replace only the currently mesh with another geometrie, and not import more Blendshapes.
In other appz its possible to swap or replace a whole character with all its morph info with one step

in this case you need the Option File open as fbx . In this fbx file all Morph Targets should stored as a key in a animation.
Import your fbx file with this animation (animation must be selected )
Then You will see all Morph Targets are listed in the morphlist.

liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
9 Years Ago by vidi
hattori kun
hattori kun
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks vidi. I didn't find an open as fbx in the toolbar.
I did find open as fbx somewhere else. Its this button? There is an fbx dropdown. So this can also replace mesh and include the embedded morphs, hopefully. Will do some tests.

Edited
9 Years Ago by hattori kun
hattori kun
hattori kun
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Justed tested. Unfortunately I can't make it work to the feature request I posted. I could be missing a function in 3dx BigGrin

This is how the feature request would work.
For example pretend this is in 3dxchange with a character all setup and ready. But I updated the character in modo, lightwave, etc and only want to swap out the old mesh to the new mesh in 3dx. I want all the settings in 3dxchange retained as well as facial setups. Obj will erase all setup. I can start from scratch ofcourse and save the template settings and reload those settings on a new imported mesh but its quicker to just swap out a mesh.BigGrin

Edited
9 Years Ago by hattori kun
hattori kun
hattori kun
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I created this character in lightwave and rigged it but the skeletal structure and hierarchy is the same so I can simply swap or replace the mesh with another of the same proportion and embedded morphs.
Its a bit extreme than my request but its the same replace function. All settings retained even face setup as long as the naming convention is the same. I simply replace and choose the new mesh and boom BigGrin

Is there something similar in 3dxchange to update/replace characters quickly?
vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I did find open as fbx somewhere else. Its this button? There is an fbx dropdown. So this can also replace mesh and include the embedded morphs, hopefully. Will do some tests.

Yes File Open and Import fbx.

If I bake a animation where every key on the timeline represented a Morph , and I import it in 3D xchange as fbx with animation selected, I get all these morphs automatically listed in the Morphlist.

I can simply swap or replace the mesh with another of the same proportion and embedded morphs.

In respect of your video
Replace a mesh or replace a object are 2 difference things .

Replace mesh means, replace the modification of the same meshes. Just for that is this option, not for replace with a new Object.
not allowed to change the vertex count !

liebe Grüße vidi

Reading This Topic