Sunstance Designer

Posted By rguy 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rguy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-designer

Substance Designer 4.6 / Pretty cool website if you haven't checked it out yet - Pro at 99 for people under 10 k - 590 for Indie - I guess they could be used in IClone 6 - Maybe a marketplace idea - ?
Edited
9 Years Ago by rguy
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

rguy (1/21/2015)
http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-designer

Substance Designer 4.6 / Pretty cool website if you haven't checked it out yet - Pro at 99 for people under 10 k - 590 for Indie - I guess they could be used in IClone 6 - Maybe a marketplace idea - ?

Most of us know about this place as iClone 6 supports "substances". Smile And they also have other great tools B2M and Substance Painter. But it was nice of you to add a link for the people that may not know about them. BigGrin
TS

p.s. I have the Indy pack. Wink
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
iClone 6 supports substances, but doesn't have a PBR shader yet.  It's supposed to come in a later 6.x update.

So work you do in Substance Painter needs to be "dumbed down" to non-PBR textures.  I found the "Unity 4" settings in Substance Painter seemed to work.

That is a seriously fun tool.  I wish I was more skilled at using it.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

45thdiv
45thdiv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Being new to all of this 3D world, I am glad for links like this.  It would be nice to have a pinned section for useful links that people can go to find out about what is out there.

I am learning slowly how to do things, but the use and creation of materials and such is at the next level of my learning.  Right now I am just functioning with data overload. w00t

I do wonder, if I never want to create my own textures or substances, is there a good amount of stuff out there?  How wile I know if the texture map will fit on an object I create in iClone6?

@rguy - Thanks again for the link.  I do appreciate it.

Matthew

PC stats:
Intel Core i7-5930K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost)

Windows 10
Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics, 8GB
Memory - 16GB Quad Channel  DDR4 at 2133MHz
DirectX - 12

256GB SSD 6Gb/s main HD + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Matthew,

There is tons and tons of information and resources.

Take it in one bit at a time, as much as possible.

To answer one of your questions; Textures will always "fit" on your props.  Larger textures take up more computer (graphics) memory, but allow you to cover more space on the screen with more detail.  The texture image is sized to fit the object.

Suppose you wanted a coffee cup with a logo sitting on a table.  If you are not going to get very close to it, it might never use up more that 1/10 of your computer screen.  In that case, a 512x512 image will be more than sufficient.  But if your script calls for you to zoom in very closely to reveal a fingerprint, and that finger print will fill half the screen, you'll want a 2056x2056 texture map so you have enough "finger print pixels" to not get blurry when you zoom in.

I hope that made sense.

I always forget, what color pill was it Neo took in "The Matrix"?  Welcome to Wonderland.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

45thdiv
45thdiv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Thanks. I am trying to take a slow path. It is the potential I can envision in my mind that gets ahead of my learning curve.

I did grasp a bit of what you said. I realize that there are people who make a living just doing textures, and there are those just doing animation or lighting or what have you. It's like the real film sets, just a bit different. The stuff I will do digitally will never come as close to holding the real props from film sets in the past, but the nice thing is, we don't have to destroy sets to make room for the next project. :-)

Neo took the red pill. Smile

Matthew

PC stats:
Intel Core i7-5930K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost)

Windows 10
Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics, 8GB
Memory - 16GB Quad Channel  DDR4 at 2133MHz
DirectX - 12

256GB SSD 6Gb/s main HD + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

45thdiv (1/21/2015)
Neo took the red pill. Smile 

And so have you, my friend.  Tongue

Reading This Topic