Twinkling stars in a night sky

Posted By Peter Blood 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Peter Blood
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hi guys: Smile

My hurdle is I need a night sky and I want twinkling stars in it. So I searched the marketplace for a night sky dome with twinkling stars and I could not find one. (If anyone knows of such a dome please let me know Wink )

What to do?

I took two cylinders and scalled them to 250x250x1. I called one of them 'sky' and the other 'stars'.

I put my original starry night pic on the sky cylinder and then made an opacity by turning the pic to black and white, bumping the contrast, and inverting the colors. This created holes at every star position on the first cylinder.

Then I put the same pic , in black and white, on the stars cylinder and added a blue white glow on it at 50% strength. So they ended up looking like this:

Then I put circular motion on the stars disc at a rate of 90 degrees for every 400 frames. That produced a pretty good effect. w00t If you want fewer twinkles, color some of the stars on the 'stars' cylinder black. BOOM less sparkle! For larger twinkles move the 'stars' cylinder back a bit from the 'sky' cylinder. (I may have put it a bit too close on the example)

The effect is more pronounced on 'full screen'.

I'm still experimenting but I think it's a pretty good first effort. Smile

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
Attachments
starry night.jpg (733 views, 109.00 KB)
Edited
9 Years Ago by peterblood
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Bravo Blue!

What an awesome solution. A perfect winter night! Smile
colour
colour
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
"peterblood (1/16/2015)
Hi guys: Smile

My hurdle is I need a night sky and I want twinkling stars in it. So I searched the marketplace for a night sky dome with twinkling stars and I could not find one. (If anyone knows of such a dome please let me know Wink )

What to do?

I took two cylinders and scalled them to 250x250x1. I called one of them 'sky' and the other 'stars'.

I put my original starry night pic on the sky cylinder and then made an opacity by turning the pic to black and white, bumping the contrast, and inverting the colors. This created holes at every star position on the first cylinder.

Then I put the same pic , in black and white, on the stars cylinder and added a blue white glow on it at 50% strength. So they ended up looking like this:

Then I put circular motion on the stars disc at a rate of 90 degrees for every 400 frames. That produced a pretty good effect. w00t If you want fewer twinkles, color some of the stars on the 'stars' cylinder black. BOOM less sparkle! For larger twinkles move the 'stars' cylinder back a bit from the 'sky' cylinder. (I may have put it a bit too close on the example)

The effect is more pronounced on 'full screen'.

I'm still experimenting but I think it's a pretty good first effort. Smile

Cool pete"

Final Video Effect just shows black disk without stars showing, here, Pete.

Had you already played-around with Starlight 03 Particle Effect?, See iC5 Screenshot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Popeye
Popeye
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I Like it. Good job. Imaginative solution. w00tw00tw00t

Click on the link below to visit my marketplace
http://city.reallusion.com/store/popeye

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/740bb8f0-5980-4577-ba69-295d.png

johnwb2
johnwb2
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)Veteran Member (555 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi,
Try Reallusion's Special Effects Vol.2 - Natural Phenomenon Look at the sky iprop, I believe it's what you are looking for.
Regards,
John
mark
mark
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
I love it! I'm just sure I'll steal it at some point!!!!TongueTongueTongueTongue

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Reading This Topic