Importing iClone 5 content

Posted By bobdoyle 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
bobdoyle
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have a TON of iClone 5 (and earlier) content, and the thought of actually having to REINSTALL it all from scratch (and I assume making duplicate copies of all of it on my hard drive) is daunting to say the least.

Is there no way for iClone 6 to see that content without having to reinstall it all?

----

Meet Bob Doyle
World's Greatest (iClone) Interview with Bob Doyle
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
You can simply copy or move your content to the corresponding iClone 6 directories and you'll be fine.

Another way is to use symbolic links. Other then a shortcut, a symbolic link to a directory shows up as directory in the location where you create the symbolic link.

A somewhat technical explanation on how to do it is here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/.

When using the command prompt option explained at the end, there is no additional software to install.

You have to make sure that you make a symbolic link for each category, such as Character, Prop, etc, otherwise iClone will not recognize the content.

EDIT: Well, it's always good to test things out, so I tried this.

I wanted to create a symbolic link to my iClone 5 Template Character folder in iClone 6. I used the command prompt method.

1. Open a command prompt as Administrator. Refer to the article linked above on how to do that.
  2. Determine a location for the new symbolic link. This will be expressed as a folder path. In my case: "F:\Media\Reallusion\Template\iClone 6 Template\iClone Template\Character\iClone 5". The quotes need to be added because there are spaces in the path.
  3. Determine the location you want to link from. In my case that is the iClone 5 Template Character folder, which is at: "F:\Media\Reallusion\Template\iClone 5 Template\iClone Template\Character".
  4. Now you can create the complete command: mklink /J "F:\Media\Reallusion\Template\iClone 6 Template\iClone Template\Character\iClone 5" "F:\Media\Reallusion\Template\iClone 5 Template\iClone Template\Character".
  5. I did this in a text file first and then pasted it to the command prompt.
  6. Enjoy your iClone 5 content in iClone 6! This should work without licensing issues.

WARNING! If you also want to use the content in earlier iClone versions, make sure not to overwrite anything!

I think this method is safe but it may be good to test this out first with a few items.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
10 Years Ago by animagic
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
One thing to be aware of is that if your item, such as a character, has build in motions, iClone may complain that it can't find the motion files. For example,

So for things like that (videos as well), you will need to make sure the motions are in the path specified in the message. You can do that also with a symbolic link. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic