Pipeline Feedback - DAZ

Posted By Bruce (RL) 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 hours ago
prabhatM (11/22/2014)
You can assign the expressions ( smile/sad etc) to the custom groups in 3DX. The MIMIC test file would create around 200 frames. The ICLONE solution was 1700 frames or so. Not sure.

I am not sure, but even activating them to just one Key frame would work. The advantage ? The export of FBX is quick.

You are correct. The 1700 frames resulted if you had the frame rate set to 30 fps or so. By changing it to 1 fps, the export is sped up. I believe there are 57 actual key frames (57 * 30 = 1710).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
10 Years Ago by animagic
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful replies guys.

@prahbatM - okay so in the future if I bring in a genesis from anywhere, Daz or my Zbrush folde I just load that Genesis template and not have to do this whole thing all over again. Sounds like the only way to truly navigate around Genesis in iClone is to take a risk and get 3DX5 Pro to test your suggested steps.

@rampa - yep (3) is probably going to be the way to go. Even if a lower-res Daz Genesis could benefit from IC6's new features like tessellation and physx, there is still a lot of other unknowns as to how exportable/ customizable a typical IC6 scene is. I'm keeping the expectations moderate so in case IC6 really doesn't work without 3DX6 I could still do some exercises in the IC5-3DX5pro environment.

@animagic - I didn't even know there is 57 stock Genesis expressions! All I did was making new expressions that I need. Custom freak obviously...

Thanks again.

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Bellatrix (11/24/2014)

@prahbatM - okay so in the future if I bring in a genesis from anywhere, Daz or my Zbrush folde I just load that Genesis template and not have to do this whole thing all over again.

@animagic - I didn't even know there is 57 stock Genesis expressions! All I did was making new expressions that I need. Custom freak obviously...

Not sure about the Zbrush. Safer to bring in the Zbrush modifications / Morphs to DAZ and then export them as FBX for 3DX/ICLONE.

DAZ has whole range of expressions. Many more from 3rd parties. I would love if ICLONE supports all of them as a "PERFORM feature" attached to an Avatar (with value sliders) inside ICLONE.

ICLONE has a range of STOCK expressions. But they are exaggerated, not as sophisticated and subtle as DAZ STOCK facial expressions.

Edited
10 Years Ago by prabhatM
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

prabhatM (11/24/2014)
Not sure about the Zbrush. Safer to bring in the Zbrush modifications / Morphs to DAZ and then export them as FBX for 3DX/ICLONE.

Yes, also what I'm dreading. My typical DAZ animation workflow is

- customize model and clothing via GoZ (per tweak 4 clicks back & forth)
- animate body movement
- animate face expression with stock/ custom morph, or GoZ (4 clicks per tweak)
- if I want to keep morph expression I make slider and save it (I mostly don't)

No launching of an "editor", no select parts and check boxes, no export, no Zbrush import then export, no import OBJ into 3DX, no morph list click click click to waste my time, no launching IClone. That's like... 24 clicks per custom face expression tweak?

LOL... Obviously it doesn't make any time/energy sense for me to move house to IClone.

DAZ has whole range of expressions. Many more from 3rd parties. I would love if ICLONE supports all of them as a "PERFORM feature" attached to an Avatar (with value sliders) inside ICLONE.

ICLONE has a range of STOCK expressions. But they are exaggerated, not as sophisticated and subtle as DAZ STOCK facial expressions.

Yep. As a product IClone excels in one area, animation; but to export universal animation you have to get Pipeline and STILL put up with the extraordinary IClone-3DX click-fatigue nonsense. Everything else looks like a very dated game, no render plugin or auto-rig gimmick could fix.

Ironically IClone is making me appreciate DAZ a whole lot more.

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Bellatrix (11/26/2014)

Ironically IClone is making me appreciate DAZ a whole lot more.

Since DAZ is free many people do not take it seriously. It has few amazing possibilities.
Actually, DAZ3D was never conceived to be a competitive 3D package. When Poser was changing hands and was on the verge of shutting down, DAZ created DAZ3D as a "viewer" for their large content created for Poser.

Then a few features were added and one thing led to another...there you have DAZ3D today. If there was a managerial focus, it could be a great competitive 3D Animation package. The Graph mate and Key mate are great addition. And I am yet to see great Toon Shader like DAZ in other packages. One could also do great stuff with a bit of scripting.

But apart from the animation, ICLONE beats DAZ on Quick Rendering - the single most defining factor.

Edited
10 Years Ago by prabhatM
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sketchup free remains popular and used by pro architects. For Zbrush 1.0 users, Zbrush 2/3/4 are free. So they should not be taken seriously? Wink

Another perspective:

Even the free version of Daz provides the basics: Genesis Starter Essentials which is a large content bundle included characters, clothing, scenes and props. Aaccessories in the content creator kit that includes a weight brush map, transfer rigging utility, figure setup, joint editor, Poser format exporter, mass property editor, morph loader, and one-click bridges for ZBrush and Photoshop, FBX, Collada, Alembic...

And texture size 4X what IClone dares to support. Should I mention ambient and displacement map channel for every bodyparts, and Texture Atlas?

All, for free.

IClone free - I mean, basic version... Let's not bother. Let's max it out for the love of illussion. I mean Reallusion.

IClone 5.5 Pro + 3DX5 Pipeline....a $400-500 shelf price...boasting "real-time" rendering...

Cannot even surpass Daz3D's real-time OpenGL lighting.

Okay, let's see, IClone has Puppeteer style animation. Very cool stuff. Wait. Daz has had them for years!

So much for a free bimbo of a tool... BigGrin

Gee at the rate I'm going I am sounding like a Daz champion.

I can go on. But come on already lol...most seasoned users know IClone is a junior among peers in almost everything except its blind confidence. I'm only here because Daz still have documentation issue and I have some IClone experience. I'm looking for a stage/studio that does faster animation+render, as in IClone-Indigo's render speed. As is IC6's real-time lighting isn't looking that hot either.

It seems so far IClone is nice real-time animation, with unreal-snail-time pipeline. So that's the key deciding factor for me.

vidi
vidi
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Alembic...

is not free Wink

http://www.daz3d.com/alembic-exporter-for-daz-studio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Alembic shouldn't be free. Licensing format costs money etc.. Charge accordingly, by all means.

Doesn't detract from the real issue with all the advanced IClone users - keep the Prosumer Edition whole and solid, cripple the Consumer edition and let the content-consumers learn and buy piecemeal upgrades. The other way round is self-sabotaging if the tool is to thrive in the long run.

But okay, since the Daz comparison will never go away...

IF IClone is to be taken seriously as a semi-pro tool it needs to stop revolving its core functionality around its ancient DazStore-wannabe ambition. The market doesn't crave another DazStore or Poser shop whatever (all yawn to me btw). Daz has cornered the content front anyway, and not acting complacent with its real-time rendering front either. Definitely not allowing their forum zealots shoo away existing customers who dare to criticize plentiful Daz flaws! OMG deafening hint! Hehe

The market has a TEMPORAL gap for The Ultimate under-$1000 real-time animation suite, not Split-Personality "not sure what I am anymore" suite. Wink

prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Bellatrix (11/27/2014)
Daz has cornered the content front anyway, and not acting complacent with its real-time rendering front either.

Any indication that DAZ is working on a Real Time Renderer like that we have in ICLONE ?
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

prabhatM (11/27/2014)
Any indication that DAZ is working on a Real Time Renderer like that we have in ICLONE ?

Daz 4.7 is proudly announcing "interactive real-time viewport render". Not one to play guinea pig (I'm still not updating to latest stable 4.6 make), so I'm not signing up to find out exactly what that means. It could be Keyshot/Octane style "dynamic" real-time shadow update complete with ambient occlusion and who knows maybe GI (yeah I wish). Maybe just flexing muscle at Poser 2014 with very nice real-time OpenGL shadow since 2013...

Edited
10 Years Ago by Bellatrix

Reading This Topic