Posted By rampart 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Whistling
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have a couple snow scenes. Anyone done a tutor on this? I was hoping not to have to go all the way back to earth sculptor for creating the terrain as well. I need to have the terrain, cars, benches, and props covered with snow. It would be nice to have moving cars with snow still on them as they are driving. Snow covered streets with tire tracks where vehicles have driven in the snow.

A snow texture with a good bump map may be best solution, or at least this is what I think. I have the iclone materials pack, but found no snow. Maybe all I need is a couple links to a few really good textures and bump maps.

The problem with wrapping a texture and applying a bump map to a vehicle or many other props is... the snow is on the tops side of vehicles, not on the sides, etc. I think that may be the biggest part of the problem. Yes, if I import vehicles from 3Dwarehouse I can probably handle this through 3dXchange by choosing the more complex models. I was hoping to use iclone content vehicles and not have to use complex poly sketchup files.

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Im pretty sure one of the terrains in IC5 is snowy hills. You might need to download the bonus stuff if you dont have it.

If your not averse to a purchase theres an older pack of suburb in the wintertime props: http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/csproduct.aspx?contentid=AIC310DIENU050120081106001

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

seppgirty
seppgirty
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (697 reputation)Veteran Member (697 reputation)Veteran Member (697 reputation)Veteran Member (697 reputation)Veteran Member (697 reputation)Veteran Member (697 reputation)Veteran Member (697 reputation)Veteran Member (697 reputation)Veteran Member (697 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
You could model some piles of snow in a modeling program and attach them to the tops of cars and benches. Here are a couple of raw, uncropped photos you could try.

Gamer, Lover, Filmmaker
Attachments
IMG_0233.JPG (219 views, 2.00 MB)
IMG_0225.JPG (170 views, 1.00 MB)
IMG_0228.JPG (142 views, 1.00 MB)
rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

I'm OK on the terrains and trees. I have the earth sculptor and the biosphere content. There are some winter trees in the biosphere and I have built a couple of snow terrains that look pretty good. Vehicle road tracks in the snow I've worked out as well.

Snow on top of cars, and on top of other props is the biggest issue I'm thinking. I can workaround this I guess, snowing all the time.

I looked at the Elements pack - winter and it has some pretty good extra stuff. SInce I only need a few items it is really overkill for me as a pack purchase at this time. I will look at it, and maybe there are a few individual items I can buy to fill the scenes.

THanks for the responses

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
rampart (11/14/2014)
Snow on top of cars, and on top of other props is the biggest issue I'm thinking. I can workaround this I guess, snowing all the time.

Add a lot of wind, and the snow won't pile up on the cars or railings.  Wink

If you add enough, you'll have a white-out, and all you'll see is blinding, swirling snow.  That sure will make your animation work go a lot faster.  Add blizzard, add wind sound effects, and render!  No terrain, props, or pesky avatars to slow you down.  Easy-peasy.  Tongue

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
10 Years Ago by justaviking
rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It is a fact. When I start out the scene is always alot more than what it is when I finish.

What I visualize to start as a quiet winter scene after the storm, a few cars are parked, covered with snow, a few people are out.

It ends as a winter wonderland storm, there are no parked cars, only a couple cars drive by and the characters are headed for shelter from a raging snow storm. LOL

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart
KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I am glad we have this thread. I haven't seen snow for the past 15 years. Actually, I haven't had a good coat for that long either.
i sit around in shorts and sleeveless shirt most of the time. It never gets below 70 degrees here and that is only for a short time.
I really do miss the snow...
maybe I will play with it on the computer today. Thanks.
KenSmile
Emerald Animation...
Emerald Animation...
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Just a quick thought -- and it may take a looong time to do just right -- but perhaps make a copy of each prop, etc. that will have snow on it, and move it an inch or two higher than the prop, then link it to the prop. Then change the texture of the copy to snow -- the diffuse and bump channels will be easy, the hard part will be adjusting the opacity channel so the snow texture appears only on the tops.

Of course, you can always edit the diffuse channel images in Photoshop or GIMP, with some clever brushwork you can paint snow on the tops.
colour
colour
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Here's a Snow Scene WIP pic, from my current Pinhead Christmas Project.

Log is 3D Warehouse Prop, Textured with a CG Textures Free Snow Texture. Slap that on your Props, adjusting UVs etc. That should do the job, I would have thought.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading This Topic