FaceGen To 3DXChange

Posted By EvilGenius 10 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
EvilGenius
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Hi guys. I am somewhat new to 3dxchange so I apologize if this comes off as a noob question.

Ultimately I want to make characters in FaceGen and use them in iClone. I am using FaceGen because the internal way of making 2D photos into 3D faces in iClone is a complete bust for me. I can never get it to look right.

Anyways. I have FaceGen and it did a pretty good job. But, when I export and load it into 3DXchange, it does not allow me to "apply to iClone"

Am I missing something here?

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to get this successful working with iClone via 3DXchange?

Thanks.

======================================================

ckalan1
ckalan1
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I use Facegen to Daz Studio to 3dxchange to iclone.

It took me a little while to get the hang of it but it works fairly well.

Step one make sure you have great face images. The key for me is to make sure the lighting is as flat as possible. Take the front and both sides of the face.

Load them into Facegen.

Take the time to match the markers as precisely as possible.

Run the Facegen processor.

Open the file in Daz Studio

Export the new model out of Daz Studio as an fbx.

Open in 3dxchange.

I know this is just a general overview, so if you need any specific info, I will be happy to share it with you.

Craig

EvilGenius
EvilGenius
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.9K reputation)

Thank you for the suggestions guys. I want to try and do this without any more additional 3rd party programs. No Daz, no Blender, nothing if possible.

animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
sw00000p (11/4/2014)
NOTE: I belive the Daz plugin places the FG image onto a Daz head.
I don't believe it uses the "Actual FG Mesh"

sw00000p, the FG plugin for DAZ exports a head morph that is then applied to the Genesis figure. So it does more then just applying the face texture. It works quite good.

One of my wishes is that there will be similar plugin for iClone. Maybe with the single mesh characters that will be easier. We know actually very little about face creation in iClone 6.

Your suggestion to take the FG head image and use it in iClone also works pretty good. I've used that in the past. But like you said, practice is of the essence.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

EvilGenius
EvilGenius
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

So does this mean I cannot take a FG face, load it into 3DXchange and then convert to iClone?

I absolutely need another program like Daz or something else?

EvilGenius
EvilGenius
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (11/5/2014)
EvilGenius (11/5/2014)
So does this mean I cannot take a FG face, load it into 3DXchange and then convert to iClone?

I absolutely need another program like Daz or something else?

I'm trying to help.

Clarification:
• You want to import a FG Head ONLY?
• and convert ONLY a head to iClone?

Singular Inversion's... FaceGen exports heads and morph targets.
• Daz matches the FG Head to its model
• according to animagic... it exports a morph.

You need some app. to attach the FG Head to a body.

Well, the body is not important. For the sake of being easier, it can be the body as well. I just need an easy way to get it into iClone without using anything other than FaceGen, 3DExchange, and iClone if possible.

Appreciate your assistance.

wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I do believe you can use it on the high rez heads in store too
I know you can Abalone facesahop, I even used that on makehuman, again not changing vertex order

EvilGenius
EvilGenius
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (11/8/2014)
EvilGenius (11/7/2014)
Well, the body is not important. For the sake of being easier, it can be the body as well. I just need an easy way to get it into iClone without using anything other than FaceGen, 3DExchange, and iClone if possible.

Appreciate your assistance.

1. FaceGen - Save the file as an (.obj).
2. Import the FG Head into 3dxch.
3. Send it to iClone.

The FG Head will be recognized as a Prop, NOT an iClone Head.
1. iClone 5 requires a recognized Head to have skin and bones.
2. Within 3dxch, (Loading a Character).... Export Head and Export Mesh are available options.
3. You MUST maintain the Vertex count and Vertex order.
4. You must NOT change the neck vertex count.

Conclusion:
THIS is an easy way to get it into iClone without using anything other than FaceGen, 3DExchange, and iClone

Kind Regards,
sw00000p

Very cool thank you. However, if it is a prop the face will not animate when the voice over is applied will it?

How frustrating. I hope iClone 6 has an easier way to make custom characters.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
It might be worth some more practice with the built-in head creator in iClone. After some practice, and figuring out some methodology for it (that is a little unclear on the surface), I found I could get pretty good results with it.

It's often easier in the long run to keep your workflow in iClone.

Here's my take on head making.

EvilGenius
EvilGenius
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rampa (11/10/2014)
It might be worth some more practice with the built-in head creator in iClone. After some practice, and figuring out some methodology for it (that is a little unclear on the surface), I found I could get pretty good results with it.

It's often easier in the long run to keep your workflow in iClone.

Here's my take on head making.

Thanks for that. Your model looks amazing. I could never get mine to look anywhere near as good.

Reading This Topic