Middle-Endian Dates

Posted By SeanMac 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
SeanMac
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I see I have a purchasing offer on my member page advertising an offer saying "Offer ends on 12/01/2014"

Since this has only just come up I read it as the 12th January 2014 and wondered why Reallusion was in time-warp. Oops. American.

Listen guys, people from all over the planet use this website. You might consider working out a way to communicate to everybody.

As a start, may I suggest that if you simply cannot bear to acknowledge the existence of other time zones and dating systems you write stuff out in words.

Yours Respectfully
Written on Ye Fifth of this Inst., November, being the Eleventh Month of the Year AD 2014, AUC 2767 etcetera, at the hour of One Thirty-Five in Ye Afternoon using the Hour as at the Greenwich Meridian.

System Specs
Homebuild ASRock Z68 Extreme4, i7-2600K @3.4Ghz , 16 Gb RAM, 5.5Tb HDD, Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti; Win 7 64-bit Ultimate.
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I am a true-blooded American, but it annoys me, too.

Personally, I'd love to use YYYY-MM-DD because then it sorts filenames in the proper order.  But DD-MM-YYYY is the next best thing.

At least this format removes abiguity:  01-DEC-2014

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Well, as an immigrant I had to get used to it... Now I am, and I'm thinking: what is 31/10/2014... There're only twelve months...Unsure

As always, blame the British: This date format was commonly used alongside the little-endian form in the United Kingdom until the mid-20th century (Wikipedia).

The Brits moved on, though grudgingly, not so the former colony...Crazy

Coming from a solid metric background, I also had to learn to deal with inches, feet, miles, acres, ounces, pounds...

In my work I usually write the name of the month (full or abbreviated) or, like Viking suggests, YYYY-MM-DD.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

animagic (11/6/2014)
Coming from a solid metric background, I also had to learn to deal with inches, feet, miles, acres, ounces, pounds...

I'm sorry.  Crazy  Crying

I would change that today if I could, but they don't listen to me.

Second on the list:  A phonetic alphabet.  Or should I say "fonetik alfabet"?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

moogaloonie
moogaloonie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)Senior Member (468 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
As an American I appreciate that so much of the world caters to our stubborn habits. I had no idea we were the only ones who used that format. But now I'm curious... With Microsoft and Apple both being US based, how do their OSs handle date formatting internationally? Though I'm only fluent in English, I visit various websites around the world (e.g. Marvelous Designer is from Korea, 3D-Coat is from Russia). I see the US convention of writing the date far more often than what the rest of the world uses... Unless I'm really just reading the date wrong far more often than I'd considered previously. Wink
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

we still hold the petro dollar status, so we can make up our own rules! worship the inches! Tongue

KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Maybe if everyone and everything didn't begin or end on the first 12 days of the month it would take care of itself.
The offer couldn't have ended on 12/01/2014 if that were dd/mm/yyyy. It would have ended last January.
Just a thought.
Smile
Edited
10 Years Ago by KenCoon
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
moogaloonie (12/1/2014)
As an American I appreciate that so much of the world caters to our stubborn habits. I had no idea we were the only ones who used that format. But now I'm curious... With Microsoft and Apple both being US based, how do their OSs handle date formatting internationally? Though I'm only fluent in English, I visit various websites around the world (e.g. Marvelous Designer is from Korea, 3D-Coat is from Russia). I see the US convention of writing the date far more often than what the rest of the world uses... Unless I'm really just reading the date wrong far more often than I'd considered previously. Wink

It's relatively easy. Internally data/time is represented as a single number. A famous one is how it is done in the operating system Unix, where one counts the number of seconds since Thursday, 1 January 1970 (so-called Epoch time). The display of the date is then a matter of representing it according to the locale setting on the user's computer. So for US users it is one way, for most others, another way.

The internal representation varies by OS and sometimes also by application. For example, the spreadsheet program Excel expresses the date as the number of days since, I believe, 1900, and then uses the decimal value for the time.

Fascinating stuff...Doze  ...but I happen to know about these things...Crazy

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (12/1/2014)
Fascinating stuff...Doze  ...but I happen to know about these things...Crazy

You are a true renaissance man.

I know weird stuff like that, too.  It's odd I don't get invited to more parties.  Ermm

rogerread
rogerread
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (321 reputation)Senior Member (321 reputation)Senior Member (321 reputation)Senior Member (321 reputation)Senior Member (321 reputation)Senior Member (321 reputation)Senior Member (321 reputation)Senior Member (321 reputation)Senior Member (321 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I'm having a party on 01/01/15. Everyone's welcome, both US and EuropeanTongueTongue. It will finish early in the morning of 02/01/15, so anyone coming from the US better bring plenty to drinkWinkWink

(BTW, have you noticed that by using the 24hr clock, we lose two minutes every day - between 2359 and 0001. I wonder what the Armed Forces, airlines etc do with them?)

Roger

Reading This Topic