New 3d Painter can be used with iclone and 3dxchange

Posted By Alien Maniac 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
bluemidget666
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
@ justaviking

Under shaders you should be able to select what type of output you want, so you generate spec and gloss instead of metal and roughness.

If you have designer you could bring your maps from painter into that and use the PBR to spec/gloss converter, though I can not remember what it's called, to generate the correct maps.

I'm still not sure what to do with the gloss map as for Iclone it needs to be embedded in the spec I'm thinking.

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
bluemidget666 (10/25/2014)
Under shaders you should be able to select what type of output you want, so you generate spec and gloss instead of metal and roughness.

I'm fairly certain that is the solution.  I started thinking that last night, but wanted to actually search their forum before blindly clicking buttons in the interface.  I found a "beta-ish" PBR Specular/Glossiness Shader that can be added on, but it had been a long day and I needed my sleep.

@Rampa - Thanks for your tips, too.  I was playing with IBL in iClone, but my actual textures were incorrect, so I could partially improve things via iClone settings, but the actual solution resides in Substance Painter.

I don't mind posting a few things here, but I'll try not to turn this into an Allgorithmic forum.   But knowing others are interested in how this pertains to iClone, I'll try to share a small bit of my journey here.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

There is nothing wrong about sharing info about substances (well legal ones) it is going to be a massive part of development for Iclone.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

There's hope.

I think I'm having best success right now using the default "PBR Metalic" shader in Substance Painter, and when I EXPORT, I select on three maps for each material:

• Normal Map
  • Unity Diffuse
  • Unity Specular

Here are some results.

The first two images are directly from Substance Painter (posted earlier in an iClone 6 thread), followed by some iClone screen shots.

I played with the specular/glossiness sliders some in iClone, and I changed the Diffuse Color for the guard.

This brass knob is my favorite part.  Especially when you have the light play across the surface, it looks really nice (better than in a still screen shot).

I can't wait to see what we can do in iC6, but here's my prop in iC5...

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
10 Years Ago by justaviking
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Right now iv stopped creating for iclone as it stands now because painter and designer produce gloss maps and Iclone can not Handel them, the only way around this is to cut up you model so you can apply different gloss settings to each bit.

So as it stands right now you have to tinker a lot to get good results but when Iclone 6 is released your going to want all your textures to be PBR .

Edited
10 Years Ago by bluemidget666
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Blue,

Right now my focus is learning the basics of Substance Painter (and remembering what I learn for more than 5 minutes).

Hopefully anything I create now merely needs to be re-exported to make great-looking props in iC6.

Meanwhile, even this little sword was acceptable (to me) in the current version of iClone.  I'm not saying it's the greatest, but it turned out okay.  (No "metal = black" issues anyway.)

bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I did not mean to imply you should just leave it till Iclone 6 comes out, your work looks really good, but for me there is so much going to change in the next few months it's going to totally change my work flow, Zbrush is going lowpoly modeller and Iclone is going PBR and fingers crossed allow quad models.

So I'm just tinkering and waiting ....

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Blue... Your comments were excellent.  No offense taken at all.  I'm simply enjoying our conversation.

Waiting?  I wish I could wait faster!

bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Swooop

I'm not sure what your trying to say there but I can not see how Ic6 can implement substances without using PBR materials and shaders.

At the very least for it to be of any use they would need to implement a gloss map but I would be very dissapointed if this turned out to be the case.

Wouldn't the shaders be built into substance player ?

Edited
10 Years Ago by bluemidget666
Sifr
Sifr
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
bluemidget666 (10/27/2014)
@Swooop

I'm not sure what your trying to say there but I can not see how Ic6 can implement substances without using PBR materials and shaders.

At the very least for it to be of any use they would need to implement a gloss map but I would be very dissapointed if this turned out to be the case.

Wouldn't the shaders be built into substance player ?

I see where sw00000p is going with this. bluemidget just revealed it, and my heart dropped.CryingUnsure Being that PBR output channels just came out in the B2M3 release, which uses Substance Player in the last version, I know for sure, but the new version I don't knowUnsure(I own B2M 2 Pro via RL ad campaign..... I hope iC6 isn't using last generation B2M Substance Player output channelsAngryDoze. iC6 already uses DX11, when DX12.5 is out now, when we get next generation graphics capabilities in iC, I will be Satisfied. Until then iC6 will have to do.w00tw00tw00t

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reallusion iClone & CC Pipeline --- Plugins: Iray HeadShot SkinGen.  CrazyTalk Animator Pipeline, CrazyTalk, Maya LT, Daz, Substance Painter Indie, Substance Designer Indie, B2M Pro+ Substance Live, Sculptris, Wrap, Unity, UE4, Perception Neuron ReadySmileBigGrinTongueWinkCoolHeheSmoooothCrazySatisfiedWowPinchExclamationAlienDiscussKissArrowSadAngrySickExclamationBlushWhistlingw00tw00tw00t
SurfaceBook 2 Windows 11 Pro 64-bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz -2.11 GHz 512GB Solid State Hard Drive 8GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 1050GTX
Dell  Alienware m18X R2 18.5" Custom Convertible Tablet Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Intel Core I7-3840QM 2.80GHz Quad Core 8 Thread 3.2GHz Turbo 512GB Solid State Hard Drive+1TB X2 RAID Disk Drive 32GB RAM Nvidia Geforce GTX 680m 2GB X2 SLI Custom Multi-touch. Dagi capacitive touch stylus
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 10.1" Tablet Windows 10 64-bit Intel Core I5-4200U 1.60GHz 2.3GHz Turbo 128GB Solid State Hard Drive 4GB RAM HD 4000 Graphics Multi-touch Wacom Digitizer screen Surface Pen+Axiotron Studio Pen
Asus Vivo Tab 8" Tablet Windows 10 32-bit Intel Atom Z-3740 1.33GHz Quad Core 32GB Solid State Hard Drive 2GB RAM HD 4000 Graphics Multi-touch Wacom Digitizer Wacom stylus.

Reading This Topic