We Need to Talk

Posted By 4413Media 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
4413Media
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Guys... we need to talk. I know there was a discussion on this long ago and it's time to bring it back up again.

There is one thing that peeves more than anything... it's taking property from someone else without the right authority and selling it as your own.

I was informed by a third party source and looked into something. This is something that I want answered, but I don't want to declare a fight or start a flame war.

Look at these two links seen here...

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JICdbb7b97d4b6f5a4c2

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=72c060ace097437beba99754d1a2e86

They are the same... if Channel Cat created it, then I can let it rest... however if not... then it's a major problem.

Trimble has taken over 3d warehouse and the EULA has changed. When long ago when it was 3d warehouse by google, Reallusion allowed that if you added the value of the product, then you can charge for the time and effort, but I believe things have changed and it isn't so much the case anymore.

But the reason why I posted this is not a personal attack, but something I want to share to all content creators.

If you take something that you have no rights to use and upload as your own and sell; not only are you putting yourself at serious trouble, but you can put whoever is using that certain item in trouble too.

We need to think on these things... we cannot sell stuff that we are not supposed to sell. It's immoral and extremely reckless. I don't want to get angry or fight... but we have to really take some responsibility and do what's right.

iClone Certified Director and makes miserable Westerns.
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
If two people make TAJ MAHAL models, are they supposed to look different ?
Edited
10 Years Ago by prabhatM
4413Media
4413Media
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

The problem is taking someone's hard work, through modeling and textures, and uploading it as your own is my main issue.

You can recreate the Taj mahal if you wish, but taking someone's work (3d model) and uploading it as your own is highly immoral in my opinion.

Edited
10 Years Ago by BenjaminTuttle
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.4K reputation)

I understand what you are saying. But like Taj mahal, Tōdai-ji Buddhist temple is a public heritage site. So the models would look same / similar.

Hence the benefit of doubt.

Though there are ways to do the forensic tests.
Edited
10 Years Ago by prabhatM
4413Media
4413Media
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Have a look... If Channel Cat created, then I can let it pass, but if not. It's theft.

Edited
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The visual impressions would be same.
What one needs to check is the exact matching of various structural dimensions / proportions.

Edited
10 Years Ago by prabhatM
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
It is probably best that we manage ourselves on these issues, and strive to be ethical and fair.

Here is a excerpt from the Trimble 3D Warehouse EULA. I know I have wanted to share Warehouse files at times, and I believe it's OK to Share, as long as proper crediting is given. It looks like selling is a no-no, though.

"C. License Restrictions

Your use of the Models is under a license, not a transfer of title, and you may not:

Remove or modify any copyright or other proprietary or legal notices from the Models;
Use the Models in violation of any applicable laws or regulations or for any unlawful purpose;
Claim or misrepresent any ownership of any Model which you did not create or develop;
Sell, offer to sell, make or distribute any individual Model on a standalone basis, unless you are the Developer of such Model or otherwise authorized by Trimble or the Developer
;
Use any Models, Creations or Combined Works in a manner that competes with the Site (including aggregating such content in another online warehouse or similar product or service); or
Aggregate any content (including Models) obtained from the Site for redistribution, or use or distribute any content obtained from the Site in a mapping or geographic application or service, except as expressly authorized under these Terms.

You agree to prevent any unauthorized copying of the Models. You agree to adhere to any posted instructions, directions or limitations on usage and reproduction of Models. You will be responsible for any costs incurred by Trimble or any other party (including attorneys’ fees) as a result of your misuse of the Models.
8. Google Geolocated Models

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in these Terms of Use, if you are using a Google Geolocated Model, you are only licensed to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, distribute and use such Model and you shall not use or incorporate such Model in any application, product, service, database or repository. “Google Geolocated Models” are Models made available on the Warehouse by or on behalf of Google Inc. that constitute a 3D model of an object, building or other structure with a fixed location that is tagged or otherwise associated with the actual geolocation of such object, building or other structure. For the avoidance of doubt, Google Geolocated Models do not include any Models separately Distributed through the Warehouse by Developers under these Terms of Use. "
BiggsTrek
BiggsTrek
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Last Active: Yesterday
They look pretty much identical to me. VERY Fishy....

https://marketplace.reallusion.com/iclone/author/biggstrek

4413Media
4413Media
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

prabhatM (10/25/2014)
What one needs to check is the exact matching of various structural dimensions / proportions.

I bought the model and compared the two. It is confirmed; they are the same model. They have the same dimensions, same UV Mapping, and the same number of faces (28242). It is very likely that Channel Cat has taken the model and uploaded it as their own. I'm going to look into more uploads by Channel Cat to see if there is any more models to look into.

Edited
prabhatM
prabhatM
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

BenjaminTuttle (10/25/2014)
prabhatM (10/25/2014)

I bought the model and compared the two. It is confirmed; they are the same model. They have the same dimensions, same UV Mapping, and the same number of faces (28242). It is very likely that Channel Cat has taken the model and uploaded it as their own. I'm going to look into more uploads by Channel Cat to see if there is any more models to look into.

That's almost a credible Forensic Test!

Reading This Topic