Profile Picture

help minimizing file to save on a dvd

Posted By pennyriver 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
pennyriver
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (185 reputation)Junior Member (185 reputation)Junior Member (185 reputation)Junior Member (185 reputation)Junior Member (185 reputation)Junior Member (185 reputation)Junior Member (185 reputation)Junior Member (185 reputation)Junior Member (185 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Hello, I am a student trying to enter a contest with a 3d animation. My file is about 17 gigs. How do I save it with a smaller size? It must be presented on a dvd.

thank you
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Hi Pennyriver,

Firstly, welcome to the forum!! BigGrin

2nd - 17 gigs is a raw file size, uncompressed. this format is usually used for production purposes as it is one of the best possible qualities, 2nd to only individual frame rendering where you print each image individually and assemble it into a movie. It's not practical as a format to give to others because of it's huge size.....usually internal use only type stuff.

What you have to do is compress / convert the file to a popular codec , such as mp4, wmv, mpg or avi

you can use a free convertor such as this one http://www.any-video-converter.com/download-avc-free.php

to compress the file to a smaller size, as for what codec - I suggest experimenting and seeing which one looks best .... mpg and avi should be good for DVD - mp4 and wmv is usually good for streaming - all of which can usually be burned to DVD ( I say usually because it may depend on what formats your dvd software uses )

There will be a change in quality , so you may want to compare a few. The conversion software I linked is free and has a selection of formats, it's pretty quick at converting files, so you may want to try a few to see which format looks the best.

I hope this helps,

Cheers Smile

animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
If you are creating a DVD that needs to be playable in a regular DVD player then the DVD authoring software can take care of the conversion, although that may be a slow process.

Looks like you rendered in uncompressed AVI, which gets big.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Cricky
Cricky
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
pennyriver (10/23/2014)
Hello, I am a student trying to enter a contest with a 3d animation. My file is about 17 gigs. How do I save it with a smaller size? It must be presented on a dvd.

thank you

Simply process the full frames uncompressed video through Format Factory to MPG or MP4 and it will play on a DVD. It will also be approx. 1/10th the original size.

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "

Reading This Topic