Profile Picture

Is there a Tutorial on How to make a Terrain from scratch?

Posted By KenCoon 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Is there a Tutorial on How to make a Terrain from scratch?

Author
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I saw one awhile back that took the Island Terrain and converted it to a prop to change it.
I am wondering if I can take one of the prop settings and make them into a Terrain.
Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?
KenSmile
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Just right-click the prop and then select "Add to terrain" from the pop-up menu items.

Cheers

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks.
I didn't see that one.
Ken
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ken: Smile

Whenever someone puts a tute on the forum I save it in a folder on my desktop marked 'movie stuff'. I rename it for easy find and that way I never have to search hard for it. It'll make things easier for you as you progress along and collect a large variety of tutes.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
There's also some built-in ability to create a custom terrain as of iC5.5.

Scroll down to find "Create Custom Terrain."

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/iclone_whatsnew_v55.aspx

You quickly run into limitations, which is why they direct you to Earth Sculpture, but it's a start.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

rampart
Whistling
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
A few words on Terrains, espcially for new users.

When I started iclone I was amazed at all things you could do with it.

I recall thinking that would be the place to start ...terrains. Afterall that was the basic foundation for every scene (no experience producing animated videos). I bought all kinds of quality content and several applications that work well with iclone for producing high quality terrains.

Then I realized something after spending a great deal to time with terrain building ... I was hit by a bolt of lightning.

When I was actually working with iclone to produce videos... I wasn't paying any attention to terrains, etc. I was and still am working with characters and props. I work in much smaller settings than I ever imagined. Even doing something outer space...using 2D images, the terrain scenes are 2d backdrops.

I have spent some serious money gearing up for terrains, height maps, etc. and I haven't loaded any of those applications, or content items to create quality terrains twice in 2 years. That is correct, the price of terrains is so cheap and the people doing them are some real pros. I just buy terrains and dress them up with props.

I'm not trying to knock anyones desires or ambitions with iclone.

We are using characters and props to tell stories and make good videos. We end up with props, and 2D images for backgrounds and skies and NO terrain in our videos. Watch the videso of other icloners. Large and vast 3D scenes just aren't used often enough to spend the kind of money to really make excellent terrains.

I am basically saying this. Buy your terrains from quality developers, they are cheap.. spend your money on G5 base characters and G5 icloth bases, and clothing to start. Use your money to buy things that provide you flexibility and can serve in many ways.

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I agree with rampart that it's always good to see if you need a terrain at all. Just like in the old film studios, you can do things with 2D backdrops which can even contain video.

I do use terrains for outdoor scenes that are not flat and when there is movement through the terrain itself. There are terrains for sale, but they don't always meet my needs. Also, the texture quality of some of the older terrains from before IC5 is not up to current standards.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic