I was about to take another $$$ plunge

Posted By Bellatrix 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Bellatrix
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
After seeing significant improvement in workflow design, I am seriously thinking about returning to iClone after decamping to Daz 2 years ago.

I have almost forgotten what frustrated me so much that I left. Some of the dealbreakers fixed, some not. Or at least, don't seem to have been fixed. For starters, the "impossible mouth with its own internal lighting" issue.

iClone teeth is agnostic to light and shadow and stubbornly glows like it's the most important thing on any character's face, first gen or latest Daz gen. The teeth unrealism situation is as bad as the last two versions of The Sims, almost ten years old game.

Thing is, iClone is not The Sims. iClone 5 and 6 continue to hawk its awesome animation power, not just body but face and mouth and jaw bone and custom morphs and all. But what is the point of sexy perfect viseme-uttering Genesis mouths when their teeth glow white like flat shaded 2D pic - or even sparkle like they're chewing mouth full of metal bits?

IClone wants to be taken seriously, this has to be fixed. Another thing is GoZ.

Guess which one is iClone and which one is lighting-logical.

Is this issue be fixed? If not will it ever be? Am I throwing away another $400 down the drain for nothing, again?

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Lucky for you, there is an easy fix for this!Smile

The lighting in iClone 5 and before is less than perfect. This issue of light bleeding through things comes up once in a while, but usually around walls or caves.

The trick to fix it is to go into the lighting panel and set your shadow type to "self-cast" and set the shadow opacity to 100%. If the percentage is less, the shadows are not opaque to light, and that manifests as light passing through solid surfaces.

You can try this with whatever version of iClone you currently have. Bringing up the ambient light will improve the overall look of your scene (for daylight) as well. It is possible to get rid of the "black edges" that are present in the default lighting.

Once you have a scene with your lights/shadows working for you, set it as your default scene.

The engine in iClone 6 has a new lighting model, but we don't really know much about it. It will have unlimited lights though.
Edited
10 Years Ago by rampa
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

I also always tone down the brightness of the mouth and teeth textures to be less prominent.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for responding guys.

Rampa, you're saying, set the global setting or avatar to self-cast shadow, or set the mouth/tongue/teeth to self-cast shadow?

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Hi Bellatrix. That setting is for the global shadow. You set it down at the bottom of any light panel. The ambient light and shadow settings are universal, although you can set the cast/receive of shadow per object. They default to on for both.

There actually is a further complication, and that is the ambient light level. It is all-permeating if on, and you usually need it. You'll just have to play with its levels.

Reading This Topic