"Ari and the Mad God"

Posted By Peter Blood 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
@Pete,

I have a question...

In the opening "Title" sequence, she swings the sword and then it sticks "out of" the frame, beyond the red outline.

That was a nice touch, and I like it.

I was wondering how you accomplished that.  I have some ideas, but figured I ask.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thank you for the kind words Gerry. Smile

Shy and the other cast members did an absolutely awesome job (With the possible exception of the dude that voiced the townfolk. Not a great voice-over talent there.) Janaal was played by my grand-daughter Arianna and I thought she did a great job. Especially as it was her first time.

I felt forced to give Ari plenty of reason to kill the ape. Hence the moody atmosphere at the beginning of the movie. I was afraid that, without a solid reason for it, The ape would get too much sympathy and Ari would look like she killed an innocent creature. As it was, she wasn't real happy about doing it.

viking: Smile

Thank you for kind words sir and I will keep your suggestions for future use.

I made the black box out of 4 wall segments. and attached the red border to them. Then I placed it between the camera and the scene. I had to move the left side panel forward because her upward slice allowed the sword to appear thru it but, as I wasn't changing the cameras angle you can 't tell. As you know, it's not whats actually there, it's what appears to be there. Tongue I used a sword thrust because it came more or less straight thru the hole and required no finessing. BigGrin

Cool pete

Gizmo: I would have made the fight scene a bit longer but there are only 8 movements for the Gorilla and only 1 of those is an attack w00t so I had to shoot the same attack from different angles just to get what I have. I know she had a sword but the ape got three shots at taking her out and failed. She could have side-stepped him all day, and she would have had to because if he landed even a glancing blow, it would have been over. He almost got her by the hair on the second swing as it was. BigGrin

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
Edited
10 Years Ago by peterblood
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
peterblood (7/28/2014)

Thank you for kind words sir and I will keep your suggestions for future use.

I made the black box out of 4 wall segments. and attached the red border to them. Then I placed it between the camera and the scene. I had to move the left side panel forward because her upward slice allowed the sword to appear thru it but, as I wasn't changing the cameras angle you can 't tell it. As you know, it's not whats actually there, it's what appears to be there. Tongue I used a sword thrust because it came more or less straight thru the hole and required no finessing. BigGrin

Thanks.  That's about what I was picturing.  The frame is a "real" physical, 3D object put into the scene, not a 2D frame added in a video editing tool.

As for my earlier comments, please remember it really was just ONE suggestion hidden beneath a pile of words.  Wink  I really admire your work on many levels.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Everything in the video was done with iclone 5.5 and only iclone 5.5 with the exception of three things. The opening and closing shot (paint.net) and...

The appearance of the sword in the opening titles. Wink

I did it with a green screen and overlaid it with one of the transitions in my video editor. I don't own any other video software so I have to make the most of what I do have. Tongue

I think your suggestion is a valid one and well worth keeping in mind on any future projects I undertake. Smile

Cool pete

Edited
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 11 minutes ago
Writing this from Canada; it is indeed vacation time.Cool Many technical comments already, so I won't repeat that.

First of all, don't underestimate your talent. There is only so much Pixar anyone can stomach, and the great thing about animation is that it doesn't have to look like Pixar to be enjoyable.

I like the idea of the combination graphic novel with animation. That could be your niche, especially if you emphasize the graphic novel aspect even more by look and design.

I saw the "Mill and the Cross" on Netflix yesterday, which is about a Breughel painting that is recreated with live action. So it is as if you're looking at the painting, but then you see people move in it. You get an interesting duality that way. You could explore that idea. I like concepts that play with reality and illusion. That's why I use RL products of course...w00t

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic: Smile

After your suggestion, I pulled "The Mill and the Cross" up on youtube and checked it out. A very unusual approach to the cinematography and extremely interesting to the eye. I will certainly keep it in mind as I try and refine a method for the animated comic book.

Thanks for the heads-up. BigGrin

Cool pete

Edited
toonarama
toonarama
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Great work Peter - I particularly like your lighting and editing
Alley
Alley
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)

Last Active: 9 minutes ago
I hadn't seen this before - great work....I enjoyed the story and the scenes and filming style.  At the beginning in the narration, I thought it said the little girl didn't know her life would be shortened or something like that...did I get that wrong?  As she seemed fine by the end.

Voice acting was great, other than the obvious mic issues.

Alley

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Toonarama: Smile

Thanks for watching and commenting, very much appreciated. Wink

Alley: Smile

The little girl at the start had tried to shield her mother from Martinoks' attack. She's the main reason Ari traveled 5 days in the mountains to kill him. She just doesn't like anyone picking on children whether he's a God or merely an over-sized monkey. Tongue She shows up again with her father behind Ari as she kicks in the door to the Elderhaus. The girl at the end is named Janaal and is a different kid. She's the connection with the next part of the story.

Thanks for watching Alley, I greatly appreciate it. BigGrin

Cool pete

Edited
KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I really enjoyed this. Both times I watched it.
Keep it coming.
KenSmile

Reading This Topic