Cool new re-topo software

Posted By Rampa 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Author
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
3DC does export multi uv - and 3dx recognizes it - but if 3dc has a 1 channel uv, it will not recognize a multi channel uv as a replacement, it will only recognize it as a first import ....

which now makes me wonder if importing as fbx makes a difference in accepting the multi channel layer.

@swoop, look at the help files all you want, the way I work and results I find is what help files are made of :p

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
The export mesh option is great if you need to reshape some clonecloth, or something. Now you know that adding UV's is a significant change to the model, and it will not match upon "replace".

3D Coat has pretty sophisticated UV options, and you might want to go ahead and create your separate UV regions there.

Note that DAZ and Poser have bajillion different UV's on there meshes. Makehuman has only one for the body and head mesh. There are some for eyes, teeth, etc as well.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

i suppose the next question would be, is this a 3dcoat issue or a 3DX issue ?

if it's a 3dx issue, then there isn't a work around, *ie - the only way to change the uv at that level is to import fbx - but replace mesh is only obj.

if it's a 3dcoat issue, then maybe loading the obj with a new uv into another program, such as autodesk, and re-saving the obj may add any additional info needed that 3dx needs to do the replacement.

from the looks of it - it may have something to do with grouping the uv / meshes - 3DX5 did recognize the new obj, but it didn't recognize it as 1 group, it recognized it as individual parts....something that would logically happen if you didn't parent the models to one main uv.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Uunfortunately, it is something that you cannot do by the method you were trying in 3DX. On the plus side, it's something you can do from a more "traditional" workflow. So, neither program is at fault, your just hitting their intended functionality (limits?).

I know you can change some basic, projected UV settings in 3DX. Those would be the "spherical", "cylindrical", etc. You can also rotate UV's if you want. These options are available for any UV channel, but are not very helpful for shapes like humans.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Swoop,

That discussion was over hours ago. You missed it. It's a limitation. The conversation was about taking a "Make human" character, loading it into 3DX5 and replacing the 1 channel mesh in 3DX5 with a new multi channel uv. not possible, and if you had any idea about how 3dx5 works, you can only replace the mesh with obj.

in summary, you were clueless about the discussion as usual, and pwnd your own self with your irrelevant babble.

Further, I may be a noob - but your characters are ugly as sin and your iclone videos make ed wood look like steven spielberg.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

thanks for explaining that you are clueless to what the makehuman software is also.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

you called it a user error, and it was not. your assessments are irrelevant, you are just jealous that i can do more with less as a noob. cheer up, maybe one day I'll decide to learn max, and help you learn things you couldn't figure out alone.

duchess110
duchess110
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Firstly thanks for the Birthday Messages boy oh boy do I need them as I am now classed as an O.A.P. OMG my world is falling apart.

Right been pondering about the export from exchange on and off all morning.

So firstly you bring the Make Human mesh into Exchange as fbx and Exchange creates a folder

with the jpg's etc.

Then select the mesh and export out as an obj. When it does this it creates some jpg's and a mtl file.

I took this exported obj into 3dcoat as a retopo mesh (remember do not snap to anything as you will have nothing to snap to)

I then selected faces and broke the mesh down into layers and separate uv's with the names

matching head layer would have a uv also named head. etc.

I then exported out from 3dcoat my split mesh as obj which then also created a mtl file.

I then made copies of both exchange and 3dcoats mtl files and renamed as txt so I could open

them up and see what they were both saying.

pic below.

Now I do not know much about altering and maybe tweaking the exchange mtl file but if we could adjust it in some way and maybe create some more jpg's that would match up within exchange when reimporting might be a workaround. Just a long shot.

Duchess Designs Store 

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

thank you for doing research on it Duchess BigGrin

my guess is that when we remap the bones in 3DX5, there must be another table generated by 3DX5 that maps the bones to the original uv channel, theoretically if I can find this temporary file generated by 3DX5 while I'm retargeting the character, then maybe I can trick 3DX5 into thinking it imported a multi channel uv. This would depend on being able to read that file in plain english - if such a file even exists, as 3DX5 could do this in memory and not a temp file.

Otherwise there is nothing other than the obvious differences, that gives a clue as to why the whole mesh melts - it's not like 3DX5 rejects the file, it accepts it but melts the mesh in the process. Hence there must be another reference in 3DX5 telling what bones to affect what parts of the mesh. when that single channel reference held in 3DX5 doesn't match the new imported multi channel reference, the mesh melts.

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
The materials in the mtl file are referred to in the correspondingobj file. So adding them only to the mtl file wouldn't help, they would need to be referenced in the obj file, which has the mapping information.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic