MakeHuman: Best Practices

Posted By Rampa 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
The bevel in Blender is quite powerful.

You can set number of steps, width of the curve, and weather it's positive or negative. There is also a check box that makes it only effect corners, and not connected edges.

Add the modifier to a cube and play with it a bit.

Of course the bevel in MAX will be great too. Smile
Edited
10 Years Ago by rampa
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Interesting, but I wish though that we would get back to MakeHuman best practices...Unsure

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Getting back to Makehuman.

There is an issue with using the "look at" or "look at camera" where the avatar's eyes jump to a rolled up and slightly out position. I assumed this was based on the roll (bone's orientation, not its rotation angle) of the eye bones, but I get the same result even when I change the roll.

So maybe the assigning of the eyes sets roll in 3DX?

This issue is larger than Makehuman. Autodesk Character Creator avatars exhibit the same issue when converted.

Someone should test a DAZ avatar. I don't have DAZ on my system.
vidi
vidi
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
if the eyes have a offset, if rolling with look to and the camera target .

Check the Bones in the eyeballs. the piviot point should correctly set in the middle of the eyeball

So can each axis rotate from the center .

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
10 Years Ago by vidi
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I found the solution for the Makehuman eyes!!

Not sure on the Autodesk CG yet. Probably very similar.

The problem is with bone rolls. These are a bones internal coordinates. Some software likes the length of the bone along Z, and some likes Y.

3DX/iClone like Z. Blender likes Y

So, because I could not convert the skeleton to have its bones along Z instead of Y, I finally just set the eye bones to vertical (from horizontal) in "edit" mode in Blender, and then adjusted the bone's axis roll until it's Z faced forward. I exported with default FBX settings, and characterized. The eyes aligned properly with the "Look At". The bones head stayed in the exact same location, so there was no weighting issues to deal with.

For anyone who doesn't know, weighting is to the head of the bone. Its length is just an offset to the next bone.

The eyes are the only bones needing this correction. I thought the reach targets would be screwed up as well, but they worked fine. Bone length along Y did not seem to matter there.
Edited
10 Years Ago by rampa
vidi
vidi
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

The bones head stayed in the exact same location, so there was no weighting issues to deal with.

For anyone who doesn't know, weighting is to the head of the bone. Its length is just an offset to the next bone.

Rampa the head of the Bone is the pivot point and not weighting . Weighting is a map that indicates the influence of mesh area from a bone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

so i revisited make human - and learn more modo ...

I don't think the weight maps are bad actually - they are sloppy yes...but bad no....
the real problem I'm finding is the bones are not aligned correctly! repainting the weight map only reveals this problem, it fixes nothing.

firstly, it imported fine from make human into carrara, blender mhk, modo, and 3DX5, ... when you re-export it from those softwares, it's a horror story of cataclysmic proportions when you re-import it ...even to the same software ....like if i export fbx from modo, it comes back in a trainwreck from it's own fbx - no changes...just direct import / export /import ...same with carrara and 3DX5 ( i didn't test blender much on the topic as it imported the mhk fine, and exported fbx fine...but the rig still had the same issues when using the blender fbx in the other softwares )

I had it working in older versions of make human, but it seems they changed something for the worse in version 1.2

I also experimented with erasing the weights and repainting them, when they were repainted, the mesh went completely out of alignment making no sense at all....and the final clue was modo having an auto align function that changed virtually every bone to match the root ....and deforming the weight map even further when the bones were aligned correctly. The make human rig is a mess of epic proportions! lol

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Planet, you should make sure to download the nightly build. It has a lot more skeleton options. Otherwise, it's pretty similar. It does have T pose though. That makes characterization a lot easier!

The facial bones are oddball, but servicable.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

problem i'm having though is with my workflow - see, first I import the character to 3DX5 - I retarget, so I can get the character into a t-pose - then export the obj...

it makes it easier to dress up and make / bind clothes in other software - plus a base mesh I can use to make visemes.

I just downloaded the very latest unstable build - but am thinking of skipping that and just learning the rigging in modo and getting it over with....it's actually not that hard - but still about 10 buckets worth of popcorn in tutorials lol Tongue ( at least for all the stuff I want to learn in modo aside from rigging )

if you want to test if they fixed it ...simply import a makehuman fbx to 3DX5, then export it from 3DX5 after you retarget it ...then re-import it .....if 3DX5 reimports it's own make human fbx fine, then they fixed it and worth downloading for brevity of workflow

at this point though, i may go down the re-rigging path anyway...simply because i got all artsy with the MH mesh in nuance, detail, symmetry, and needed to change the face count - so I'll need to disconnect it to a rebind anyways - i could just make one good rig in modo and save it as a template for future characters.

I considered using the game bone, but the amount of tweaking I'd have to do on it, is actually more clicks than just making a rig with the exact amount of bones I plan to use. I like tidy when it's an option lol. I don't mind spending time tweaking a customized master rig, I do mind having to make the same rig or fixes over and over for every new character.

Edited
9 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ok, learned how to rig in modo ( I learned it, haven't mastered it :p ) and found a fix for the make human rig itself! w00t the vertex normals are off - that's was what was causing the erratic behavior! in modo "set vertex normals" fixed it!

Reading This Topic