Profile Picture

Iclone5 crashed. Can I recover from .tmp file?

Posted By pmaina 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
pmaina
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Anyone with a solution? Tried renaming but iclone doesn't recognize it.. is there a way to recover, if I have the temp file?

Thanks.

PS: I scaled down my expectations so am not even frustrated... just curious.. and yeah I have the latest graphics drivers. Tongue

I just hope one day iClone will have commonsense features like Autosave and crash logs.  Till then.. its "save every 5 mins or die". BigGrin

Edited
12 Years Ago by pmaina
colour
colour
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
IMO, Temp File is an Export Render File that increases in size with each Render, until you Delete it.

W7 Home Premium. has a File BackupProgram, included with the OS.

However, I like many, use Acronis TrueImage Backup Program that can backup on the fly. W7 Backup probably has the same.

I've had a Project that wouldn't Open. I just Deleted the corrupted Project & Copied the Backed-up Project from Acronis "My Backups" & Pasted it into iClone Projects "Containing Folder".

BTW - An "Instantsave" Feature has been requested many times. Ermm

You could Save each Edit with the Same Project Name but with incremental numbers added. But you'd end-up wirh a lot of Projects & a lot-less HDD space.

pmaina (6/12/2012)
Anyone with a solution? Tried renaming but iclone doesn't recognize it.. is there a way to recover, if I have the temp file?

Thanks.

PS: I scaled down my expectations so am not even frustrated... just curious.. and yeah I have the latest graphics drivers. Tongue

I just hope one day iClone will have commonsense features like Autosave and crash logs.  Till then.. its "save every 5 mins or die". BigGrin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited
12 Years Ago by colour
pmaina
pmaina
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Thanks Colour. Appreciated. 

Sometimes a project is so engaging that I forget to save at each milestone... 2hrs later, iclone crashes and I have to rely on a brain dump to get back to where I was.

The thing about backup apps, they dont capture unsaved work... so you're only protected from filesystem related issues... I think...?

Edited
12 Years Ago by pmaina
dwacon
dwacon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.8K reputation)

I feel your pain. I spent two hours perfecting a scene... with camera angles, etc. I opened the switcher to save the camera angles (annotating them on a paper copy of the script) when, KABLOOIE!

Hurts to lose two hours of work and have to rebuild... but lesson learned. Hit the save button frequently!

Atomic Skeletons
[url=http://amzn.to/2zZ3md9]Queer Steer[/url]
Black Larry David

Galactic Blitz
Birthday Movie

animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I've also learned to keep seneral versions of each project file (I keep 3), which has been helpful. But I agree, saving in the heat of the moment is not always easy to remember. I know that in my case most crashes occur with the timeline. RL has hopes that the new GUI for IC6 will be more stable.

I do a simple daily backup of my iClone files, which replaces a file if a newer version exist. I used to use Acronis, but it has become less stable and reliable with recent versions. In my experience at least.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic