Getting an image from Bryce or Sketchup to iCone

Posted By KenCoon 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
The different file systems are beginning to drive me crazy.
I can save my images from Bryce but when I try to put them in either 3DXChange or iClone they seem to be in the wrong format.
For some reason I am running into the same problem with Sketchup.
What path do I use to move them over?
KenSmile
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
You're speaking of IMAGES, so that makes me assume that you are not exporting 3D MODELS. Is that correct?

I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to do...Unsure

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Actually at 74 I am going crazy.LOL
Seriously, I am looking at several things at the same time.
I will need some special scenery of a sorts for the book I am thinking about making into a movie. (Probably will only ever partly be done but I will learn some things.
I also am looking at some scenery for a cartoon which may be made someday.
For both of these projects I will need scenery and avatars.
NOTE: I noticed that I seem to have mixed up Bryce and Blender. I have been printing the manual for Bryce and I have it and Blender on my computer.
I came across a tutorial on how to make an island in Blender. It seems like after I would finish that I should be able to have a 3d island at least. I can learn how to do that in Blender and then I will have to see if I can put that into iClone 5.51 or if I need to take it through 3DXchange first.
I hope this explains my newbie mindset well enough. I am sort of bouncing around right now. I do know that eventually I will need to use some of those other programs to make things for use in iClone so I am not really wasting time, just enjoying the journey and getting lost in what I need to get done. I have notebooks full of notes but I seem to lose them when it comes time to use them. (Not well organized either.)
Thanks,
KenSmileSmile
bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
What kind of island do you need because you can make them right inside Iclone ..

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
Edited
10 Years Ago by bluemidget666
KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The island i will need later will probably look more like a shoreline in a fog. I may never get to that project. The reason for the island just happened to be the tutorial I found for blender.
I also found one for avatars.
I will just have to figure out how to move my props, scenes and avatars into iClone. I should be able to take them through 3DXChange if necessary. I have time and I am here most of the day which in the middle of the night in the States.
Right now i am learning the programs.
KenSmile
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

To get something in iClone made in an external modeler, you will need to go through 3DXchange.

You would export from the external modeler as obj or fbx. (In the case Sketchup you can use the native ,skp format.)

For static props such as islands, exporting as obj will be fine. For obj, two files are usually exported: the .obj file and an .mtl file with the same name. For example, island.obj and island.mtl. The .mtl file specifies which materials in the .obj file corresponds to which textures (usually). The textures are image files such as .jpg files and if the prop you are exporting is texture, the image files should be exported as well.

If the .obj exporter is correctly implemented, you should have to worry about it, but sometimes you need to find the textures. The .mtl file will be of help here to tell you where they are located. It is best to have all files (.obj, .mtl, and textures) in a single directory. The .mtl file then only needs to refer to filenames, not to full paths.

KenCoon
KenCoon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I will have to reread that several times for it to soak in.
Thanks. I will write that down in my notes so if I end up in that situation, I will know what to do.
I found a video further down using Earth Sculptor. I may just get that one tomorrow when the bank opens. I can then buy any people I need that I cannot make from the models I have now. That should fix me up for the book.
As for the cartoons, I may also need to get the scenery packs for that and a people pack to keep me busy.
I can then work on learning Blender and a few of those programs so I won't have to buy things later. I will then have a sense of accomplishment along with moving forward.
I am quite sure I have most everything I need in the computer now. It is just that i don't really understand how to use what I have.
Thanks for all the help you are giving me. I would never have made it this far without it.
KenSmile
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ken, if it is any consolation, it took me a long time to figure out how things worked with .obj files or anything else for this matter...Unsure

Give yourself some time to mull things over...Wink

Reading This Topic