Posted By cly3d 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Fisheye lens or Panoramic camera plugin? for Oculus Rift

Author
cly3d
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
As the title of the thread stated.
I've tried kludges...
1) Set the camera lens to 12mm (it won't go lower than this, sadly)
2) Set 3 such cameras, showing their field-of-view, then aligning so that no overlap occurs
3) Render out the images.
4) take into photoshop / aftereffects and join them together.
5) view in Vr Player. (http://vrplayer.codeplex.com/)

I'm attaching one example and the .json (useful for settings of VRplayer)
As you can see, even laboriously aligning the cameras, they don't sit edge to edge.

Is there a way to render full spherical panoramas within Iclone? Maybe a custom camera rig if someone has built? - I don't mind stitching 6 to 10 separate images/views.

Or... can iclone consider adding a Panorama render option in the next update.
This would be great for producing Iclone 3D videos for the Oculus Rift.

Kind Regards,
Attachments
iclone_pano_output.jpg (574 views, 5.00 MB)
iclone_json_forVRplayer.zip (118 views, 406 bytes)
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
can you do it with video ? then you can use morphing and crossfading techniques with nle's to get smooth transitions ? i did something similar recently, the idea was to create an infinite treadmill loop for an app - worked out great.

cly3d
cly3d
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Yeah, video will work too. The problem with blending and warping however is that in stereoscopic 3D any such pixel manipulation shows as nasty artifacts.

For a 2D video pano, no problem, in Stereoscopic 3D...(and because iclone offers the possibility to render s3D quite elegantly)... for the oculus rift, is that we need to get precise edges if stitching.
That's why hopefully Iclone works on a solution for a Pano cam.
This will put Iclone in great demand for producing content for the rift.

(Previously I'd asked for Tracking support a couple of years ago to do matchmoving)
Earlier I'd asked for import/export of 3D from iclone. That found it's way into Pipeline! Smile

Hoping Reallusion keeps listening!
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I found another thread from about a year ago asking for it.
https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic161745-298-1.aspx#bm161821

There must be a way to create a camera rig, but it's a little beyond my scope Sad
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
then smudge it with effects w00t

there are some very nice warping transitions in after effects, that could take otherwise nasty artifacts and turn it into a time warp effect - then you could run with it and turn dayscapes into night scapes. when you turn right, the sun goes with you and morphs into night time

i'm thinking it's an easy solution to move forward while you figure out a solution for a seamless transition.

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Making some progress here.
I setup 6 cameras like so...
All cameras have 18mm lens

1) Inserted a camera at 0,0,0. then lifted it on the Y axis to 90. Let's call it North Camera
2) Angled the camera up 25 degrees.
3) Added another camera at same location and angled it down 25. (north down camera)
this gives a good coverage angle of the scene in front...almost like a large fisheye
4) then set up East up/down pair, West up/down pair and South up/down pair

What I'd been lazy to do which I will do now is add a nadir (top) and Zenith (bottom camera)
Attached is the pano stitched from the 8 images via PTGUI. As it looks encouraging, I'll probably buy the software.

What I wanted to know is:
Is there a script that will trigger rendering of all cameras in an iclone scene? I'm not well versed in scripting so haven't ventured into iclone scripting.

Will update this thread as progress is made.
Regards.
Attachments
ilcone_panorama.jpg (306 views, 459.00 KB)
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Further update.
This process while good for large outdoor scenes, kind of falls short when using it for smaller indoor rooms etc. The reason is, you can't creatively "frame" your camera when forced to use 18mm.

If you use a 35 or 50mm lens, then you need lot more "cameras" to take snapshots to stitch.
The only solution is a procedural plugin to capture the sphere. So this would have to be done by iclone itself or via some clever camera scripting (if this is possible)

Regards.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks for the feedback. This has been passed to the iClone team to review. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

cly3d
cly3d
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

You're welcome Peter!
I finally ended up using a rig of 14 Iclone cameras :-)
And created a (stitched) panorama. Although it's not 100% perfect, when it should have been precise, considering it's a CG camera render.

Here's the article and project I'm working on: http://bit.ly/UVC7eq

There is an interactive panorama embedded in the page there, and it's rendered entirely in Iclone Smile

Iclone would be a killer way to produce linear content for the Oculus rift - Movies/motion comics/ and more.

Kind Regards.
(P.s, would love if Iclone supported the Campaign Wink)
Edited
10 Years Ago by cly3d
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
cly3d (8/10/2014)
You're welcome Peter!
I finally ended up using a rig of 14 Iclone cameras :-)
And created a (stitched) panorama. Although it's not 100% perfect, when it should have been precise, considering it's a CG camera render.

Here's the article and project I'm working on: http://bit.ly/UVC7eq

There is an interactive panorama embedded in the page there, and it's rendered entirely in Iclone Smile

Iclone would be a killer way to produce linear content for the Oculus rift - Movies/motion comics/ and more.

Kind Regards.
(P.s, would love if Iclone supported the Campaign Wink)

Thanks for updating us and for the project page link. I have passed these on also.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic