Profile Picture

Software for easily making 3D game graphics?

Posted By ossum91 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ossum91
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I'm trying to make a classic point-and-click style adventure game and I want to have 3D graphics for it...problem is I'm not an artist...I have a clear idea in my head of how I want the graphics to look and I want to be able to recreate that...does anyone know of any software besides iclone that would easily let me do that?

Are there any 3D graphics programs with huge libraries of stuff they provide you, where you can easily customize rooms and build a 360 degree room to your liking? I have iclone and it's good for providing different trees/terrains for outdoor graphics but not so much for the graphics for inside a house. I was considering using The Sims lol because you can build a 3D house to your liking with tons of customization options, but that's pretty lame for trying to make a real game and it doesn't even look that great. Any suggestions?

btw iclone is amazing for easily creating 3D characters and animations so I'm def using it for that but I wish i knew a better program to make 3D backgrounds.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
daz and poser are other good ones

it really depends on your tastes - do you want realistic - daz
do you want original - learn to model in 3D coat and rig.
is this for non-commercial use - and you want monsters ? - use spores

what do you want your characters to look like ? there's a program for almost everything these days with prices ranging from "free" to "are you kidding me ??"

ossum91
ossum91
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)Junior Member (214 reputation)

Yes it's for non-commercial use. I'm already using iclone for characters so I don't need to worry about that.

So like in my game one of the rooms is going to be a library and i want it to have dark paneled walls, bookshelves, couches...in the sims you can literally just easily create that and then take pics of it and import it into your game. I want something that would be that level of easy. Where I can just drop in couches and bookshelves and stuff without really having to create anything myself. I mean I realize probably nothing would be THAT easy but you get what I'm saying, I want to keep any artwork stuff to a minimum.

What I like about iclone is that it provides trees and terrains, so I want software that works like iclone only also provides indoor objects and wall textures and stuff...dunno if anything like that exists

I'll check out your programs but I just wanted to clarify exactly what I mean lol
ossum91
ossum91
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

*edit* I'm checking out daz and seems to be what I want! gotta agree with you though about the "are you kidding me" prices thing though. all the objects seem to have price tags attached to them Sad
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
for props and stuff, you may want to check out sketchup - http://www.sketchup.com

you get the best of several worlds there -

first, they have the google warehouse - tons of premade static models ( architectural stuff ...characters too, but not rigged ..so thats another level of creation )

2nd - their modeling software is super easy to learn and you can use iclone to make the textures better.

3rd - it's free! the software and the models!

for characters - you have iclone, daz, and https://charactergenerator.autodesk.com/
it generates characters similar to iclone.

the daz characters also introduce another level of issue - because they can be large poly for that look - also, there are morphs you can get for free for daz that will give you a ton of ways to design your characters.

If you want to avoid the extra costs - you will have to learn to model - which is where I'm at now - learning to model characters / clothes / rigs - i have daz poser and carrara, i really enjoy them all since they interact with iclone - but no one has made a dragon that is like the one I've envisioned yet lol.

truth is , there are a variety of ways to get what you want, but it's going to cost you somewhere ...either in cash to buy the stuff, time to make the stuff, or quality to settle for affordable stuff.

So you have to decide what is "good enough" to make the best decision for your needs - this rabbit hole goes deep ...and autodesk software prices and the time and cost of learning it, make you want to send an email to daz and say thank you for their prices lol BigGrin

but I'm thinking sketchup, 3DXchange5 and sculptris http://pixologic.com/sculptris/ belong in your toolset, from what I'm reading so far.

www.sharecg.com is a good site for finding stuff also - it's a legit site where artists share their own creations with each other, one guy created a whole morph set that is similar but different to the commercial daz morph set for genesis 1 - i dont think it will work with genesis 2 though.

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 34 minutes ago
You might find house/room design software to be useful as well.

Here's a free one, and you can probably find others.

http://www.sweethome3d.com/
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
rampa (7/26/2014)
You might find house/room design software to be useful as well.

Here's a free one, and you can probably find others.

http://www.sweethome3d.com/

That's the kind of software I use for specialized interiors and exteriors. I use one that is not free: Turbo Floorplan 3D. It exports in 3DS format, which can be read by 3DXchange. You do need to change the scale: I believe reduce it to 10%.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 34 minutes ago
@animagic

This type of software needs it's own thread methinks. There are very few free ones that output a usable model.

For some reason, I cannot start new threads (grrr!). Could you start a thread for such software?

Reading This Topic