My method on how to unwrap UV map in 3Ds Max

Posted By Cellygon 10 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
The Mythical Dragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I tried out the Photoshop plug in at https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop. I had never heard of it before. I like it. It does a much better job than my previous method which was to just take the diffuse, make it black and white and increase the contrast. I still need to increase the contrast, or learn better how to use it, but it makes a much smoother more realistic looking texture normal so I'm going to keep using it.

Thanks for sharing it.

Doug

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/802f671e-1d55-4dbc-a395-f18a.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7f5306f9-14c6-4916-834c-f953.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a3af5e54-2406-46ea-8f58-db07.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/da100d59-8890-4a1b-be9f-8625.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/777c3084-929c-48a3-955e-2fc4.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7e79a164-2793-4c00-961a-c1f3.gif_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e3a85212-4fba-40cc-8c92-c44c.jpg_https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/aaccd877-cd18-4557-ab61-b0e3.gif

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6d3e7e09-6d95-4bac-81f7-84d0.gif__________https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9d264a7f-6043-4252-8d4a-f877.png__________https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ef484605-a020-4395-b2f1-778b.png

Alley
Alley
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
My wrinkle maps are created using a combination of bumb maps and normal maps. I create wrinkles using basic photoshop painting skills to paint in wrinkles on my texture, drop the saturation down to 0 to create a grayscale, feather around with level and curves to get the pop. white color is what pops out while black is giving the effect of a crease in the model. gray is neutral. then i use this pluginhttps://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop to convert to normal maps for use on my textures. Another method is creating a higher res of your model by sub-d it a couple times, sculpting in your wrinkle details on the high res mesh and export the normal map to use it on your low res mesh. this can be done in zbrush.
Sw0000p-I am hesitant to participate in these threads because sometimes the way you present information is kind of confusing and I don't know what you are asking - it comes across to me like riddles.And then you and planetstardragon start some dialogue that seems to go in a different direction for the original point which further confuses me.

Before I say anything about how I do wrinkles,I want to remind people thatthe point of this thread was because Cellygon was asked by another developerhow to unwrap UV's. Nothing more. Cellygon could have blown her off, but he didn't. He was kind enough to take his own time and create a tutorial that was exactly what was asked for. As an added gesture, he provided the tutorial here for every one's benefit.

Youmention me in some posts regarding wrinkle maps,everything you need isprovided by Reallusion in their clone cloth packs,both G3 Cloth and G5. You can utilize those wrinkle maps by cutting them apart and re-positioning them over your cloth base in photoshop using the warp tool. You can use some other tools in photoshop like smudge to stretch the wrinkle or move it. There is the Clone tool. It's basic photoshop skills. The other thing that has been posted on this forum a gazillion times is wrinkle brushes. You can use those to create wrinkles.

All you have to do is google and you can find plenty of articles on painting wrinkles - you don't need a tutorial specific to iClone. It's photoshop skills and I found lots by simply googling. But knowing how to do this is not the same as knowing how to do it and make it look realistic. You can't teach that, it's impossible. A person has to have a good eye and know what looks right and what looks unnatural. Cellygon has a very good eye for this because he is artistically talented. Not everyone is, so you can't teach that.

But everyone can use the supplied Reallusion bump maps. People can also google real pictures of clothing. Bring it into photoshop and turn it to greyscale. Play around with the highlight/shadow and place it over your texture, again utilizing the warp tools, adding a grey or black background around it and exporting it for use as a bump map. If I don't get good results with that, I can put the bump map through a program like Shader Map Prop to create a Normal map. Bump maps have less effect on dark colours. To get some wrinkle look on dark colours, the normal map will have more effect.

I have not used Cellygon's method of using zbrush, but I knew about it..but again, it comes down to having a good eye and knowing how to draw wrinkles at the back of the knee, or the crotch or where one would expect to see wrinkles, but this is not something you can teach...you either produce a realistic looking result or you don't. It's a combination of natural instinct and practice. I will try the zbrush method, but I don't think I have as good of an eye or aptitude for this as he does.

Creating wrinkles is not a Step 1 - 8 kind of thing. Sometimes I trial and error a gazillion times before I get it right. It's not like baking cookies where you add specific ingredients. It's messing around in photoshop with all the tools til you get it looking good. Time and patience. Everything I learned about it was my own tenacity and googling for articles on making realistic wrinkles using photoshop.

--------------------

As for Apparition's Flow Cloth, if that's what you are referring to, I haven't a clue how he did it. I would think it isn't that hard though and prob if you purchased one of his packs, it would not be hard to figure it out if you were so inclined. But it's still far from perfect and a bit complicated to use and not sure it would sell well enough to warrant a developer to spend hours at it. At this point, maybe iClone 6 will have features that will make it easy for everyone.

Alley

Edited
10 Years Ago by Alley
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
swoop Kiss

rcsinger29
rcsinger29
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
***REQUEST TO ADMIN/MOD***

Please lock and pin this thread as it is very helpful (early on) to novice modelers and would do well to avoid the useless banter!

***REQUEST TO OP***
If you wouldn't mind, can you duplicate the initial post and topic into another topic that can hopefully remain free of such useless banter.

Thank you for taking the time to make tutorials that genuinely help others along. it is greatly appreciated by the greater majority of the community!

Cellygon
Cellygon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I am a bit busy at the moment to create duplicate topic of this. For now just pay attention to the first post and ignore the drama... BigGrin

----------------------------------------------------------
My latest release for CC

For all my other iClone contents, click here.

SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
"Just think what this world would be like if Leonardo Da Vinci had never shared his knowledge..."

Hi GrannyJ - I have enjoyed reading your messages in this thread and I regret to become pedantic about it but there you go: This world would remain exactly as it is because Da Vinci never did share his knowledge and went to great lengths to keep his secrets. The notebooks written in mirror handwriting and never published until the 20th century.
"Vasari
observes with reference to Leonardos writing: "he wrote backwards,
in rude characters, and with the left hand, so that any one who is
not practised in reading them, cannot understand them". The aid of a
mirror in reading reversed handwriting appears to me available only
for a first experimental reading. Speaking from my own experience,
the persistent use of it is too fatiguing and inconvenient to be
practically advisable, considering the enormous mass of Manuscripts
to be deciphered. And as, after all, Leonardo's handwriting runs
backwards just as all Oriental character runs backwards--that is
to say from right to left--the difficulty of reading direct from the
writing is not insuperable. This obvious peculiarity in the writing
is not, however, by any means the only obstacle in the way of
mastering the text. Leonardo made use of an orthography peculiar to
himself; he had a fashion of amalgamating several short words into
one long one, or, again, he would quite arbitrarily divide a long
word into two separate halves; added to this there is no punctuation
whatever to regulate the division and construction of the sentences,
nor are there any accents--and the reader may imagine that such
difficulties were almost sufficient to make the task seem a
desperate one to a beginner. It is therefore not surprising that the
good intentions of some of Leonardo s most reverent admirers should
have failed."
Regards

seantmchugh
GrannyJ
GrannyJ
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
SeanMac (7/3/2014)
"Just think what this world would be like if Leonardo Da Vinci had never shared his knowledge..."

Hi GrannyJ - I have enjoyed reading your messages in this thread and I regret to become pedantic about it but there you go: This world would remain exactly as it is because Da Vinci never did share his knowledge and went to great lengths to keep his secrets. The notebooks written in mirror handwriting and never published until the 20th century.

@seanmac

Leonardo da Vinci did share his secrets. Yes, he encrypted them using a methodology he invented, but that was to protect his very life, not to hide his secrets from his followers.  During Da Vinci's time, the ruling family and the church would have labeled him a heretic and thrown him in prison (at best) or executed him (at worst) for most of his work.  Self preservation cannot be characterized as trying to keep his discoveries to himself, but rather as a methodology to maintain his life and existence. Fortunately today, at least in most civilized countries, artists will not have to face similar circumstances.

If his intention was to never share his findings, he would not have written them down at all, but ensured his future well-being by keeping them solitarily in his mind alone.

iClone Certified Content Developer and Author of the Pinky Frink® Adventure Series & the Pinky Frink® Learning Books
site: Granny J's 3D Attic SKYPE = grannyjsplace email: grannyj@grannyjs3dattic.com
MY RIG: GPU: Dual GeForce GTX 970M | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-5930K @3.50GHz| 32.00 GB RAM | OS: Win 7 Pro SP1 | DX11

Reading This Topic