Profile Picture

"God Rays" or "Sun Shaft Rays" Shader

Posted By bsperan 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Would this be a feature you'd like to see in iClone?

Author
justaviking
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
animagic (6/14/2014)
justaviking (6/13/2014)
Lastly, for both lights and fog, allow us to easily SAVE our custom settings for use in other projects.

Currently, saving an Atmosphere saves lighting, fog, HDR settings, etc. These can then be reused in another project.

Caveat: positional lighting (spotlights, point lights) will end up in the same location in the new scene, which may not be where you want them.

Thanks, Job.

I was thinking about that while typing.  I also could see a use for saving some individual things almost like you would a prop, too.  Sort of a "My favorite fog" setting that's independent from all the other things contained in "Atmosphere."

Excellent point, though.  Thanks for the reminder.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
10 Years Ago by justaviking
Sifr
Sifr
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
justaviking (6/13/2014)
Sifr (6/13/2014)

justaviking (6/12/2014)
They have stated their fog is being completely re-worked. Same with their lighting.

If you have "DX11 fog" for lack of a better term, and shine a light through it, you should get your God Rays. Thus I see no need for a "God Ray feature" to be added.

But that's all based on an assumption.

Here he explains the god ray creation process in a bunch of pro workflow concept terms, for the fifty-eleventh time, and it can be even more technical, but to a new comer he may have no idea how to recreate this effect... too complex. Now it would be great to have a god ray button... the easy button for the home hobbyist consumer, who by the way may play consumer games on pro hardware just for fps. on max benchmark kicks.

But that's all based on an assumption.

In non-technical terms, to create "God rays":
  1. Add fog
  2. Shine light through it

That's based on my assumption of technical stuff like volumetric lighting support, courtesy of implementing DX11.

What might be nice would be tohave some pre-defined fog settings, like:
  • Heavy morning mist
  • Dusty attic
  • Bejing Smog
  • Meadow God rays
  • Smoke screen
  • Belching smokestack

You could pick a pre-defined setting, and fine-tune the settings if you want.

Actually, I like this idea. The should do the same with lighting:
  • Noon sun
  • Dawn/Dusk sun
  • Desk lamp
  • Flourescent lights
  • Candle
  • Flashlight
  • Television glow
  • Fireplace or campfire
  • Streetlamp

Give us a dozen or twenty distinctively different lights to pick from, and allow us to then modify the brigtness, range, color, angle, and other details.

Lastly, for both lights and fog, allow us to easily SAVE our custom settings for use in other projects.

Exactly.... & it's called Yebis middleware.... I think? I hope!!w00tHehe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reallusion iClone & CC Pipeline --- Plugins: Iray HeadShot SkinGen.  CrazyTalk Animator Pipeline, CrazyTalk, Maya LT, Daz, Substance Painter Indie, Substance Designer Indie, B2M Pro+ Substance Live, Sculptris, Wrap, Unity, UE4, Perception Neuron ReadySmileBigGrinTongueWinkCoolHeheSmoooothCrazySatisfiedWowPinchExclamationAlienDiscussKissArrowSadAngrySickExclamationBlushWhistlingw00tw00tw00t
SurfaceBook 2 Windows 11 Pro 64-bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz -2.11 GHz 512GB Solid State Hard Drive 8GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 1050GTX
Dell  Alienware m18X R2 18.5" Custom Convertible Tablet Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Intel Core I7-3840QM 2.80GHz Quad Core 8 Thread 3.2GHz Turbo 512GB Solid State Hard Drive+1TB X2 RAID Disk Drive 32GB RAM Nvidia Geforce GTX 680m 2GB X2 SLI Custom Multi-touch. Dagi capacitive touch stylus
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 10.1" Tablet Windows 10 64-bit Intel Core I5-4200U 1.60GHz 2.3GHz Turbo 128GB Solid State Hard Drive 4GB RAM HD 4000 Graphics Multi-touch Wacom Digitizer screen Surface Pen+Axiotron Studio Pen
Asus Vivo Tab 8" Tablet Windows 10 32-bit Intel Atom Z-3740 1.33GHz Quad Core 32GB Solid State Hard Drive 2GB RAM HD 4000 Graphics Multi-touch Wacom Digitizer Wacom stylus.

Edited
10 Years Ago by Sifr
Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hey I was mentioned!! KUPO!!!

(Kupo is a sound the creature in my avitar makes)

Anyhow, two things.

1. Screenspace light shafts have been around for some years now so there should be no reason it slows down the computer unless the computer's kind of old. Unity can do it, Unreal can do it, CryEngine can do it, everything can do it. You don't need DX11 to do it. It's a post proccessing shader effect. Just like the toon shader and the HDR shaders are.

HOWEVER

2. That is NOT true volumetric lighting which I've not seen in a realtime rendering engine yet. Yes it looks good, but as soon as you point the camera away from the lightsource or the lightsource is no longer in view of the camera, the rays go away. In most cases, this is no big deal, but in some you'll want the rays to be there. I think a combination of screen space light shafts and light shaft props would work really well together.

There are only two GPU powered engines I've seen full volumetric fog and lighting in and that's Cycles and Octane. (Please let Octane be a plugin for iClone as an offline renderer)... anyhow...

I have seen some VERY RECENT games ( I don't think they're even out yet) that can light particles and I have seen light shafts done in MachStudio Pro (anyone remember that lol)

But that's pretty new tech (and I think MachStudio was doing a screen space thing and if they werent, it was taxing on the graphics card)

So then for the moment, screen space light shfts would work just fine for the most part.

Ya know, I don't know why there aren't more post shader effects in iClone.

RL, why aren't there anymore. You know they'd be widely appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Double posting because I missed an entire page.

Ok to the entire thing about bloat features and all that stuff... Firstly, what is iClone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but iClone is a REALTIME ANIMATION and RENDERING program.

So, phyics, rigid and cloth... ANIMATING a character with IK would be great with that. Sun shafts and dynamic fog... RENDERING... that fits.

Now let's say they added something like... polygonal extrusion... uh... what? That's more of a modeling thing. Even if they added simple modeling features into iClone, that'd be odd because it's NOT a modeling program. Why do you think all the more complex rigging stuff is in 3DX and NOT iCLone. That's more of a rigging thing than an animating thing.

Now a duplication and cloning tool that's animatible would e good because it can be used to quickly set up a scene.

REALTIME ANIMATION and RENDERING.

Now I have to agree with SPD that an option to turn God Rays off would be good. Same for Motion Blur and stuff. I feel like all that stuff will either be in the Atmosphere or Effects section which you can easily turn the things in there on and off, so that will be granted already.

Also, to whoever said "We're getting DX11, so we'll automatically have God Rays." ... that really doesn't mean that.

We have DX9 now but there are a TON of things that DX9 can do that iCLone isn't doing, an example being *gasp* a light shafts post proccessing effect!

If we have true volumetric fog in iC6, I will upgrade instantaniously.

But we'll have to see. The next vdeo is going to be on dynamic textures... what's that mean? No flappin' clue, but we'll find out and I'm sure we'll be pleased.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.

Reading This Topic