Biosphere Crisis & Fog Failing.

Posted By DELETED2 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
DELETED2
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Hmmm... Well, ONE glaring great mistake I emmediately noticed was
csp = clamp(4 * turbulence - 3, 0, 1);
Which should have been
csp = clamp(4 * turbulence + 4, 0, 1); Surely?

SmileBigGrinTongueWinkw00tCool
Jus' kiddin'!

Hi Swooop, I had no intention of undermining your abilities. I have the greatest respect.
As I said before, I love tech-talk, but I'm not a fully fledged modeler. Crying
It gives me confidence at least that communicatively I am amongst people who understand the above.
But at the moment I feel like a shabby woodsman.

Many thanks for your input. Sincerely.

I'm still running tests here. I found the old "Hi Polygon Trees" from 1995 I think. I dont know whether someone like John Martin made them but he was very prominent in the forums and suchlike back then.

Armstrong.

Edited
13 Years Ago by Armstrong
Keith_MPS
Keith_MPS
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Well, that didn't take long.

In iClone 5 there is now a checkbox in the Preferences:
Enable Level of Detail (Ctrl-L)

With Level of Detail turned off, this tree issue doesn't happen anymore. With it on, it does. Guess you can reload that original project now.

- Keith
Edited
13 Years Ago by gnasche
DELETED2
DELETED2
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)

gnasche (9/26/2011)
Well, that didn't take long.

In iClone 5 there is now a checkbox in the Preferences:
Enable Level of Detail (Ctrl-L)

With Level of Detail turned off, this tree issue doesn't happen anymore. With it on, it does. Guess you can reload that original project now.

Im lookin' but I no SEE!

Keith_MPS
Keith_MPS
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

There have been a few updates since then. I'll check when I get home and post a screenshot if it's still there. If not, I'll look for the ini setting or registry key for it.

- Keith
Keith_MPS
Keith_MPS
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I'm using iClone version 5.02.1121.2

Level of Detail on:

Level of Detail off:

- Keith
DELETED2
DELETED2
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Just to update future users, version 5.x iCLone has a detail feature written into the preferences menu and within this option you can disable totally the horroble detail "clipping"? of the Biosphere Trees.

In this solution the 750 trees in Biosphere are now perfectly usable. For a horrible month I thought I ad lost the functionality of Biosphere on large sets because of the detail degradation on long shoots.

Gutting both machines here to strawbeds I reinstalled both versions of iCLone v.4.x. and v.5.x. and discovered updates and AV systems killing updates etc (usual software idiotics) and have the "Detail Bullet" in Preferences now that disallows clipping of detail in the plants in Biosphere.

Aaaaaaaaaaallllllll this...... for a Tree that doesnt lose its detail on zooming long shots.

Armstrong.

DELETED2
DELETED2
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

And thankyou also Namunger. THis was very impressive logical paralell thinking. The theory is good, but sadly suffered the same flickering as the trees switched out their 3D detail for grossly lower 2D detail.

namunger (9/22/2011)
I'm just brainstorming here, I haven't tried it, but...
-make a .png image of the individual trees, then reload that as a billboard.
-align the billboard so it's "inside" the tree.

Now, if the mesh sketches out, there will still be coverage, but as you get closer, the mesh will overtake the image, and you won't be able to see that it's there.

That may be the same thing Swooop was suggesting, just without having to have different resolution settings.

By the way, it's not just the biosphere trees, I've had it happen with the basic trees included with iC. I tend to just use tree images in the grass layer anyway, but I don't usually need very high resolution.

Reading This Topic