Profile Picture

Simple way to rig .obj shoes in iclone 6?

Posted By william161 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
william161
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi all,

Can one get a 'particular' shoe (.obj file) which is already a prop to work as an item of clothing (shoe) in iClone 6? is there a way to apply bones to it perhaps? or pin it to the foot bones of the character?  I would love if someone could help me here... if it's complicated for a newbie would anyone be willing to rig it for me if I send the .obj file?

Many Thanks

Will
vidi
vidi
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
The poor easy way 
You can attach the Shoes  to the foot as Accessory ,
 but the right way  for a CCCharacter is this 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

william161
william161
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)Senior Member (455 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi Vidi,

Thanks for your help, mmm, I thought there would be some way of adding bones to the shoe so that it would bend the mesh when needed in the animation. The only way I can think of around this would be to divide the shoe in two and attach one part to the bone near the toes and the other to the heel bone (if there is one) but even that would take a lot of time and effort (modeling etc.).  ah! the joys of CG!

Regards

Will
vidi
vidi
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I thought there would be some way of adding bones to the shoe so that it would bend the mesh when needed in the animation

Not directly in  iClone .
iClone is not a riggingtool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Lord Ashes
This post has been flagged as an answer
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
You can bone any prop but it required software outside IClone/CC. For example, the common and free software tool is Blender. You can import your OBJ file into blender, bone the prop and then bring it back into iClone via 3DXChange. In Blender you could even use a CC armature (bones) as a starting point and remove all the bones that you don't want...

But why? What is the advantage?
If you bone the shoe then you will need to adjust both the character feet and the shoe if you are animating feet movement. If you create a proper CC shoe then the shoe will automatically move with the character movements.
And actually it is probably easier to do.

The workflow (using Blender as an example) would be:
1. Import a CC character FBX file into Blender (CC can create one for you if you select the Export Nude Character option or you can download the file from the RL website in the developer section)
2. Import your Shoe OBJ file
3. Attach the shoe to the bones. In blender you do this by (right) selecting the Shoe, then holding shift and (right) selecting the Armature, placing the mouse over the display window and pressing CTRL+P and then selecting "With Empty Weight Groups". (This will move the shoe mesh under the Armature in the selection list).
4. Weight paint the shoe. Weight painting tells the software what parts of the shoe move when specific bones are moved. You can weight paint the shoe manually but in most cases you can copy the weight paint from the CC character as a starting point. Click on the CC Body found under the Armature, the hold shift and click on the shoe. Change from Object Mode to Weight Paint Mode and then use the Transfer Weight Paint option. This copies the weight paints from the body to the shoe. You will probably want to adjust that a bit since wiggling your toes will not likely affect the shoe.
5. Save as FBX and then use the Cloth option in CC to load it into CC.

It may sound a bit complicated at first but it is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. There are numerous video tutorials which demonstrate the above workflow. I am sure if you search on YouTube you will find many examples.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Edited
7 Years Ago by Lord Ashes

Reading This Topic