Odd Attach Behaviour

Posted By Lord Ashes 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I have a boned object...call it a plank. It has about 15 bones allowing it to be bent at various stages of its length.
When I bring this object into iClone (via 3DXChange), I am able to access the bones, as expected, to bend the plank.

The issue that I am having is that when I create a couple of boxes in iClone (later to become dummy boxes) and attach them to the bones on either end of the plank, bending the plank causes the boxes to move in the opposite direction than I would expected. I would expect the boxes to move with the bone but that is not what I am getting, they move in the opposite direction. See video for actual results.

Any ideas why I am getting this result? The weight paint on the plank is very simple with each bone contributing to only its section of the plank. It was generated by Blender using the Automatic Weight maps. The weight maps see to work since you can see the plank bending correctly. To attach the boxes, I use the iClone ATTACH option, specifying the bone (as opposed to the object).

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
BlueyCreative
BlueyCreative
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Looks like you coordinates are reversed, make sure you match the x,y & z when you import/export.

Bluey Creative in the Marketplace

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

JaffaDave (6/2/2017)
Looks like you coordinates are reversed, make sure you match the x,y & z when you import/export.

Match coordinates with that? The plank is imported via 3DXChange but the boxes are iClone boxes.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
You sure, you did not attach boxes to the opposite end bones? Smile

Edited
7 Years Ago by 4u2ges
wires
wires
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
The writing style of the "Proud Farter" seems very much like that of someone long gone from the Forum. WhistlingWinkw00t 

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

4u2ges (6/3/2017)

I don't believe so. I attached them by picking the parent and then working down that parent to the specific bone.
However, in either case even if the bone was wrong the boxes should not go up since all bones that are being bent (some are not) are being bent down.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ifartproudly (6/3/2017)
JaffaDave is correct.
The box and bone (Local Oriientation) have different axis.
Make sure (Before Attaching) that the boxes and bones have the same local orientation.

I'm trying to follow what you are saying but it still isn't completely clear. The prop (not character) was built in Blender and then imported into iClone via 3DXChange. The boxes were created in iClone. Where would I set either of the axis settings that you refer to?

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Lord Ashes (6/4/2017)
4u2ges (6/3/2017)

I don't believe so. I attached them by picking the parent and then working down that parent to the specific bone.
However, in either case even if the bone was wrong the boxes should not go up since all bones that are being bent (some are not) are being bent down.

Boxes would indeed go up because the bone is rotating and so does attached box - right bone clockwise and left counter clockwise.
That was the reason made me think you have attached it in reverse.

Reading This Topic