Derived Content of Multi Part Props

Posted By Lord Ashes 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Before I ask my question I want to stress that this question is about the TECHNICAL aspect of Derived Content (i.e. how it actually works in iClone)...this is not ethical question. I don't want to start a whole new post about when one should and should not derive content. I am interested in knowing how it works as implemented in iClone.

I have created a Market Place item called the "Physics Enabled Cable". Surprisingly, excluding freebies, this item is my number one selling item by quantity.

The item basically consists of 50 objects that are constraint hinged together. These links are then attached to a dummy object allowing the whole item to be moved and rotated easily.

Normally, if the item is purchased by another person (call him/her person B) and that person adds it to their own project or content, it will trip the Derived Content. That means if Person B sells his/her content, a buyer (person C) will need to buy both Person B's content as well as my content (the cable) in order for the content to work. So far this is clear and I have done this a number of times (deriving clothing from my own bases).

With something like a character with clothing this is very clear because the individual clothing has its own licenses and thus as long as any part of the character uses clothing that has its own license (is its own content) the Derived Content will trip. This is clear and as expected.

However, in the case of a multi part prop (which is not constructed from individual items that are themselves content), it is not so clear. For example, when my cable prop is added, the user will get the dummy object with all the links inside it. So when does the prop stop being a Derived Content prop. For example, if the user changes the texture on the links, I assume it still remains a Derived Content prop. But what if they delete part of the prop? My cable comes with 50 links but in some cases the user may want a shorter cable and thus they delete some of the links. Does it still remain Derived Content or does the removal of part of the prop make it a unique prop (i.e. no longer Derived Content)? What if they delete all but one link? Please note I am not talking about any mesh changes...I am just talking about deleting one or more of the objects in the multi object prop.

In my case, can someone resell content made from my cable prop (without tripping Derived Content) just by removing a few links?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

ifartproudly (5/31/2017)
It states that "signifiacant" changes are required to resell.

This was exactly what I was trying to avoid. I already know the ethical side of this discussion (i.e. the RL for derived content). Please see the post for the actual question.

ifartproudly (5/31/2017)
Make your cable have "Unique Topology and UV's"
"Moving a few vertices (Especailly In the Middle). Give a few polygons a "Diamond Shape" for example.
... This....drastically changes it.
The DRM will lock on to the unique signature. "For Sure!"Smile

Again, you are talking about mesh changes but the OP specifically stated "
Please note I am not talking about any mesh changes...I am just talking about deleting one or more of the objects in the multi object prop" and described a situation involving multiple objects IN ICLONE provided as a SINGLE CONTENT and some of these objects are deleted.
Or are you trying to say that unless there is a mesh change, the object will continue to maintain is DMR? So in my case, my customers can cut out as many link 
as they want (in iClone not at the mesh level) and it will still remain as derived from my content because there were not mesh changes. Even though mesh was removed by removing some but not all of the prop objects?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ifartproudly (5/31/2017)

So how many constraint, linkage removal does it take to become not derived.
...with no unique mesh / uv signature... they can rip you off.Crying

I'm not worried about that. If they edit the mesh then I'm okay with that. I was more interested in partial deletion in iClone. If simply deleting parts in iClone removed the Derived Content then that would be an issue because I fully expect my customers to remove link. But I understand your answer: unless the mesh is modified it will retain is source and thus trip Derived Content. Thanks.

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I dont know the answer to your question but this is how I would find out the answer.
Download the content so I can re-upload it as derived content
Make the changes that I am concerned about to the downloaded content
Upload the modified content to my store.
Either it will say the content is a derived content or it wont.

Whatever the case the question is answered.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
7 Years Ago by Delerna

Reading This Topic