A warning about the Perception Neuron sensors

Posted By michael7 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I've kept my sensors attached to the harness and straps, kept in a closet for several months. Even though they tell you to keep them in their containers or they might magnetize the closet wasn't near any magnetic sources so I thought it would be okay. But when I went to use it there was some drift to the avatar. You can calibrate them though so this isn't the reason why I am writing this. The reason I am writing is, I discovered when I was calibrating them that if you drop one of the sensors, even only 8 inches and onto a soft platform, like the cushion of the stool I was using as a table for the calibration, they mess up and start to drift. Which is very bothersome because how can one do any kind of real interaction with objects ( or like flips I've seen some people do ) since the sensors will fall out of calibration and will need to be calibrated again if bumped? I just wanted to give this heads up.
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Thank you very much for sharing this info. Any other feedback you would like to share?  I am about to buy 2x 32 sensors systems and I read a few horror stories on the internet.
from some users, specially about the lack of support. But this may be just the unhappy experiences, I am pretty sure many are really happy with the system.
Can you for example applause using the gloves and record the motion without having to recalibrate again?

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

michael7
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Jfrog (6/8/2017)
Thank you very much for sharing this info. Any other feedback you would like to share?  I am about to buy 2x 32 sensors systems and I read a few horror stories on the internet.
from some users, specially about the lack of support. But this may be just the unhappy experiences, I am pretty sure many are really happy with the system.
Can you for example applause using the gloves and record the motion without having to recalibrate again?

Hi Jfrog, sorry for taking so long to reply to you I didn't see this till now. I'm going to refrain from commenting until I hear back from Noitom. I'm not sure what the problem with my suit is but, even though there was that sensor problem it might not be the actual problem. I just don't know as of yet. Everything on the avatar is wonky. I am only guessing but I might have a defective hub. The avatar will go through all of the calibration poses correctly except for the S last pose. I recorded some raw data for them and they are reviewing. I'll give an update once I hear back and know how to proceed.

Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Thank you for the info Michael. 
Keep me updated to know how it turned out but I am pretty sure Noitom will fix your issue. It is a serious company and I am sure they want to keep there customer happy. If not, they wouldn't last very long.  On my side I already order and I should receive my two suits friday. Your post scared me a bit so I order the 2 anti mag suitcases to be on the safe side. we'll see...   Wink

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR

michael7
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Jfrog, I've had a long day extensively testing the suit. I've realized part of the main problem is there is some kind of interference in the living room where I am attempting to calibrate and then use the suit. Which I don't understand because when I first got the suit I also calibrated and tested there and there was never an issue. At first I thought the problem might be my new router which is a g5. Maybe it was putting out too strong of a signal. But when I moved it into a different area and tested there the problem wasn't there. And the weirdest part is, if I calibrate in the living room the avatar is all wonky. Walks sideways when I am walking forwards, the arms don't bend right, neither does the head...it's all off. But when I calibrate in another room and walk into the living room the character remains okay and doesn't get all strange. I'm providing the letter I just sent to noitom for you to look at below.

Mike

Hi. I ran some extensive tests and was able to figure a few things out but I still don't know what.I'll need you to help me out with that and there is still an issue to resolve. I have a new second computer ( I'll call it computer B )  that I never use so I downloaded the software and installed it on that to see if I would get the same results. First, in the last letter I sent I was wrong about thinking I had the strap placements wrong ( where I took photos ). I actually had the straps right the first time around. I found this out because when I tested the suit on computer B I could easily see how the movements of the avatar were backwards which meant I had the straps right in the first tests I did. So I moved them back and the avatar was now working almost perfect. Not quite perfect though but now at least the avatar walked correctly. I recorded a few tests for you, each test is done after the calibration tests of a pose, t pose, and s pose. You will see in these raw data files that my arms are aligned properly with each other. But as soon as I do the t pose, and then the s pose, the arms are no longer parallel or aligned with each other. In the t pose data file you can see I am also trying to clap and one arm is higher than the other. This happens the same way even when I switch the sensors. I have 2 rooms, one is my computer room,, the other is the living room. After I did tests on computer b I went back to retest computer a. The avatar was behaving more or less like it did on computer b now. But these new tests I did in my computer room and not the living room ( like I initially did ). So I went back and redid tests on computer a in my living room. And it was back to the way it was with those first data files I sent you. So I realized ( or thought I did ) that there was some kind of magnetic interference in the living room. At first I thought it might be the router because when I first got the suit I did the tests in the living room and had no problems at all, but I got a new 5g router since that time. So I thought maybe it's putting out too strong of a signal. So I moved it into the computer room and retested there. But there wasn't any problem. So I have no idea what it is in the living room that's doing this because, as I said, I never had this problem when I first got the suit. So I recorded another raw data file from computer a. Here's what I don't understand. When I calibrate the suit in my computer room the suit behaves basically normally ( except for the slightly misaligned arm problem ). When I calibrate in the living room it's not normal at all. But when I calibrate in the computer room and then walk into the living room, the avatar stays basically normal it doesn't get all twisted. So why it is twisted when I do the calibration in the living room but not when I do it in another room and walk into the living room? At first I thought it might be from the t.v. but I walked into that room three times and you can see me switching on and off the tv in the raw data file. Nothing gets weird. I've labeled that raw data file moving through the house.
So there will be four raw data files sent along with this email.
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

This is indeed a strange problem but Noitom should be able to troubleshoot this.
While you wait for them to answer your letter, perhaps you could try to post this thread on their forum. There are many more users there. 

Just an idea   

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR

michael7
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hmm, I have to be honest with you they are good at replying to letters but, maybe there is a language barrier but they aren't always great at getting to the problem. For instance despite all the letters and data I sent them their conclusion was I must have had a strap on wrong. Which I didn't. So I spent the whole day trouble shooting the suit till I figured out it was something in my living room. I sent them that info and they got back to me, agreeing, but also saying my ceiling of my living room must be magnetized. Has me curious why do they think my ceiling and why didn't this happen before. Anyway, it's going to be a little while more before this is finally resolved.

Also, I have posted weeks before on their forum. I only got one response from either a troll or just an unhappy customer.
Edited
7 Years Ago by michael7
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

This is annoying.  Support is the most important factor when you buy something. Just the fact that there is 12 hours difference between Hong kong and Montreal is a turn off but email should be answered within a day or 2 max.  

Just curious have you tried measuring the magnetic field strength at your place?  I downloaded two free apps for my samsung galaxy, one is teslameter
and the other is physics toolbox suite. I have no idea how accurate those apps are but you can see really quickly if there are any trouble in your room. For example, I measured around 40  (I think it is tesla unit but I am not sure) all around my condo but if I go close to my speakers (around 8 inches) than I see drastic change.  I also measure the magnetic field from 3 different power bank sources. They vary from 100 unit to 400 unit depending on the model. So even if the measurements are not accurate I will choose my power bank to power my hub with the one that is editing the least magnetic field.

I also found an interesting thread to read on their forum. This won't solve your problem because your problem seems to be related to where you use the neuron mocap inside house but I thought it was interesting:

https://neuronmocap.com/forum/learn-my-mistakes-some-tips-and-pointers-better-mocap-session

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR

michael7
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well good news. Kinda. I just figured out what the problem is. There was a new laminate floor put in the living room and kitchen area, the areas I was going to do my motion capture in. I just found out there is a top coat of aluminum on the floor to help protect it. Now I just need to find out if there is something to put over top of it to nullify it ( I doubt it ) or move to another room.
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
michael7 (6/21/2017)
Well good news. Kinda. I just figured out what the problem is. There was a new laminate floor put in the living room and kitchen area, the areas I was going to do my motion capture in. I just found out there is a top coat of aluminum on the floor to help protect it. Now I just need to find out if there is something to put over top of it to nullify it ( I doubt it ) or move to another room.

I wonder if those antistatic floor mats would help (https://www.antistaticmat.net/).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic