Profile Picture

Character Creator Exports Don't Maintain Mesh?

Posted By Lord Ashes 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I am working on a morph character based on a werewolf morph tutorial done along time ago. My work-flow was as follows:

1. Create a character in CC.
2. Export as iAvatar.
3. Apply additional CC morphs.
4. Export as OBJ file.
5. Load saved iAvatar (step 2) in 3DXChange
6. On Face Setup use the Morph List Add button to add the OBJ morph (step 4) as an Expression morph.

This would then allow me to use Face Puppet (with 3DXChange slot) to apply the morph in iClone. Using Expression morphs is something I have done many times with props (using Dummy Bone) to make Morph Props but I have not used it too frequently with actual character. Having said that, I have content in my marketplace store which does exactly that with G6 characters and had similar content for CC characters until it was banned. This means, I did (at some point) get the above work flow to work.

The issue that I am having is that when I try to add the OBJ morph to the iAvatar character, it complains that it cannot find a compatible CC_Base_Body mesh (and indicates that the vertices count must be the same). I don't understand why the vertices count would be different. They are both generated from the same character and, as far as I know, applying morphs in CC is only deforming the mesh but not adding or removing vertices. I have tried exporting on OBJ format both the Full Body or just the Body but both produce similar errors. I have tried both Y-up and Z-up exports but both produce similar errors.

I do not have 3DXChange Pipeline so I can't try the FBX export.

Any ideas what might be going wrong in my work flow?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
*** SOLVED ***

Found a slightly different work-flow that works:

1. Create initial Avatar in CC
2. Export as Avatar
3. Create morphed Avatar in CC
4. Export as Avatar
5. Load morphed Avatar (step 4) in 3DXChange
6. Select the CC Body mesh
7. Export Mesh as OBJ
8. Load initial Avatar (step 2)
9. Add exported OBJ (step 7) to Morph List

Loading both Avatars (original and morphed) in 3DXChange as Avatar files seem to preserve the verticies order and thus the work flow works. In contrast exporting both as OBJ, re-rigging them to the armature (e.g. in Bleneder) and exporting as FBX does not seem to preserve the verticies order and thus the morph comes out garbled. 

The above work flow can be used to add most CC Morphs to a character and apply the morph in iClone. For example, have Pinocchio's nose grow, have a character's ears turn pointy as they become an elf, etc. You could even use it with my CC Amputation Set to transition between a intact limb and a severed limb.  

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
duchess110
duchess110
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Agree I found obj export caused me issues and in my thread EA Beta duchess110 Morph Creator I did say that the Avatar option did hold the info.
I have put it on the feedbacktracker

Duchess Designs Store 

Reading This Topic