Profile Picture

Anyone have any experience converting Daz studio stuff for iClone?

Posted By Kelleytoons 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Anyone have any experience converting Daz studio stuff for iClone?

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
In general I think I have more content than I possibly know what to do with, but because (somehow) I'm on the Daz Studio mailing list, I get sent things from time to time that look interesting.  Today I got an ad for a whole western saloon setup that looked pretty great... in Daz.

So I was wondering -- can this stuff be imported into XChange (and thus iClone)?  I have Daz and have used it in the past to export as OBJ some freebie stuff on the web and then brought into XChange and it worked well, but has anyone had any experience with paid stuff like this?  

https://www.daz3d.com/western-saloon-bundle

Would it be copy protected and thus not exportable from Daz?  Anyone done something like this?

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Am7add9
Am7add9
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
it will work fine,
export as both obj and fbx and compare them in 3dxchange
i forget which filetype had issues.

if you dont have decimator in daz, probably a good idea to get it
to reduce polys  and not choke out 3dxchange / iclone

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Yeah, I'm not spending $100 for a Daz product I might use once (Decimator).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Am7add9
Am7add9
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

i didnt use it for the few props i converted which were sci fi interiors.
but for for exporting clothing to convert in cc
have to use something that can reduce polys

Edited
7 Years Ago by maxae
rampart
rampart
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (4/28/2017)
Yeah, I'm not spending $100 for a Daz product I might use once (Decimator).

I do alot of import from Daz3d.  The content is excellent, very well priced if you watch for sales and tweak the numbers.

I bought a headset prop yesterday on sale for $1.00.  That isn't the important part. The content items was over 200,000 polys.
Decimator brought it in at 13K, which I still thought was high poly for such a small item.
What I am saying.. don't even waste your time on Daz3d content without decimator.  You can't make it work for you.

Now, I bought my decimator on sale for under $10 from daz3d on sale.  That is correct there are some really super sales during the year.
I have bought alot of very excellent content for extremely low prices when I patiently waited.
Example... I only spent $13 over the past 3 months on Daz content.
I see plenty of items I would like to buy, but I will patiently wait for the time when I can save big.

Pay very close attention to the way sales are described on Daz3d.  You can be a winner, but you won't do it just buying stuff.
I spend alot fo time with my calculator studying what you have to buy at what price to get what you want at a big discount.
Read the sale requirement very carefully..until you understand precisely the pricing conditions.

You will find you can rarely make a good buy on NEW ITEMS.  You have to wait, and use something else.  If you are a hobbyist that is how you have to do.it.
I bought alarge lot of western props and stuff several months back for practically nothing.  Yet, today the price is back up.
What I am saying is no big secret...everyone that hangs on the daz forums is aware. 

Goodl luck

I should have mentioned this as well.  There are some content providers who have done very large content packs.  These packs require a great deal of computer power and memory.
Daz doesn't disclose the size or requirements.  I have had to request refunds on about 1/2 dozen of these packs.  There was recent relaase of an airport that is composed of 4 very large packs.  I bought one pack and it was huge.  Daz refunded with a few questions.  I could have used the decimator, if I had an hour to wait for it to view.  I am running on Win 7 Q6600 processor with 4 gig of ram, and 1 gig 550Ti nvidia VC.  I can still do alot of work with it, but I've probably reached a point I need to regroup and update my system.
However, regardless of your system... high poly counts can work against you.

Edited
7 Years Ago by rampart
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the advice -- maybe I had just better wait until Decimator goes on sale, because if I could even get it at half off it might be worth it.

Weirdly enough, the sale content I got an email on yesterday is no longer available (not even for the full price -- it has just COMPLETELY disappeared from the store) so at this point in time I don't have to spend any money <g> although I *am* disappointed.  In particular I wanted to see if bringing the stuff into XChange and running the auto smooth would remove enough polys (I have found if you check weld vertex and set the right angle you can simplify a LOT of models without losing detail).  But perhaps it was fate telling me not to even try <g>.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
vidi
vidi
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Decimator  is most  for organic Models,   like  Shapes that was subdivided,  to decrease(decimate) the high SSD Level again
I think in the most case of Hardsurface models is decimating not necessary 

In particular I wanted to see if bringing the stuff into XChange and running the auto smooth would remove enough polys
That remove not Polygons it changed only the angle of edged,  aka smooth shading

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

rampart
rampart
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (4/29/2017)
Thanks for the advice -- maybe I had just better wait until Decimator goes on sale, because if I could even get it at half off it might be worth it.

Weirdly enough, the sale content I got an email on yesterday is no longer available (not even for the full price -- it has just COMPLETELY disappeared from the store) so at this point in time I don't have to spend any money <g> although I *am* disappointed.  In particular I wanted to see if bringing the stuff into XChange and running the auto smooth would remove enough polys (I have found if you check weld vertex and set the right angle you can simplify a LOT of models without losing detail).  But perhaps it was fate telling me not to even try <g>.

I agree with vidi on the decimator.   My opinion is... there is one time to buy when the sale is right for you.  March madness was supposed to be the super sale time, and I bought nothing during those months.  It was not a good sale.  You have to stay tuned and run the Daz3d shop frequently to get good deals.  I have mostly bought props and on occasion specialty items. 
I bought all the dinosaurs in one sale and good a super deal, but I have not seen that sale again.

You cannot do well on Daz3d content purchases unless you have PC+ account.

The PC+ membership goes on sale every month or so.  I have bought at reduced price several times.
PC+ is the darling of Daz3d shop,  there are couple bonus discounts each month and some freebies that apply to PC+. Also notice there are specials for PC+ members as today.

I don't ever buy...from Daz3d any poses, terrains and rarely buy characters or clothing, yet I have as part of special package sales acquired a large number of items.
When I first started I bought a number of tutorials... (didn't help much) wasted money.
I got caught when Iclone had no Character builder, and bought a number of Daz3s characters with clothing Genesis, Genesis2.
The RL expressions tool we apply to Daz3d characters to export to Iclone makes it possible.
Still the rigging and bone mapping can drive you nuts, because it seems many artists follow their own drummer.

The content that was pulled yesterday was probably buggy and support pulled it after a number of complaints.
I noticed a number of saloons in PC+ items at $1.99 each today.
If you don't have PC+ account you may see prices that are 5 or more times higher
Don't think because they are cheap they aren't viable.
The PC+ items, some have been around for a long time and are reduced because the Genre isn't that popular.
I have bought PC+ items on sale for less than $1 each.
I repeat -
You cannot do well on Daz3d content purchases unless you have PC+ account.
If you can't get at least a 30% discount on PC+ account wait abit.  I bought annual membership at 50% discount about six months ago.

https://www.daz3d.com/platinum-club-annual

Edited
7 Years Ago by rampart
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks, Rampart.  Once upon a time (um, maybe five years ago?) I was a Plus member, but because iClone wasn't where I wanted it to be I just wasted my money.

You're probably right about the content being buggy -- I hope it's restored (and still on sale) as I had plans for it, but any time I don't have to spend money that's fine, too <g>.  I already have WAY too much content as it is.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Am7add9
Am7add9
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

you can lower poly counts in most 3d packages pretty easy
i'm sure even blender has that option.

Edited
7 Years Ago by maxae

Reading This Topic