Font sizes WAY too tiny

Posted By Kelleytoons 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
So on my new 15" laptop, even with the sizing options set to 150%, I can BARELY see the fonts in CC 2.0 -- they look like tiny ants on the screen.

To some degree this is an issue in iClone, but at least there is the option to increase it *slightly*, whereas in CC there is no such option.  Can't you PLEASE allow the fonts to be a bit bigger for those of us who aren't 20 years old anymore?

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Just curious, what is the screen resolution for your 15"?

I've noticed a tendency to sell laptops with screens that are good for watching movies but not much else.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
It is amazing that we are still struggling with font sizes on high-resolution screens in the year 2017.
It is not only Reallusion's software.  It is a disturbingly common issue.
For example, it is an issue for Substance Designer and Substance Painter, too.

Players include the operating system, the development tools used to create the user interface, and the team developing the actual software we buy.

I keep seeing nice 4k, 27-inch monitors for sale, but I never spend my money on them because so many applications have issues like this.  You can scale the DPI to 150%, maybe, but mostly you trade one usability issue for another.  And if all you do is up-scale, the why not just have a 1920x1080 monitor in the first place?

Frustrating.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Ziggy72
Ziggy72
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
If you drop the resolution of the screen down to a lower value then the fonts will increase in size - sometimes it can go too far down and the fonts get clipped, so it requires a little experimentation.  Try 1024x768, something along those lines.

My YouTube Animations
JimmyB7
JimmyB7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
This works for me.  Create a text file with the XML code below.  Name it "CharacterCreator.exe.manifest" without quotes.  Put it in the folder that has "CharacterCreator.exe".  Renaming accordingly it works with Character Creator 1.52 or 2.0,  iClone 6.53 or 7, or  3DXchange 6.52, and  popVideo 3.01, but NOT CrazyTalk 8.1 and NOT CrazyTalk Animator 3.1 for some reason.  Good luck.

Added Kelleytoons' Registry edit:

You need to tell Windows to prioritize external manifest files. This is done by adding a key to the Windows Registry:
1. Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit.exe and hit enter.
2. Confirm the UAC prompt.
3. Use the sidebar hierarchy to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide
4. Right-click on SideBySide and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
5. Name it PreferExternalManifest.
6. Double-click the newly created Dword and set its value to 1.
7. Exit the Registry Editor and reboot your system.

XML Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
      type="win32"
      name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
      version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*"
      publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
      language="*">
    </assemblyIdentity>
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
      type="win32"
      name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT"
      version="9.0.21022.8"
      processorArchitecture="amd64"
      publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b">
    </assemblyIdentity>
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
  <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
      <requestedExecutionLevel
        level="asInvoker"
        uiAccess="false"/>
    </requestedPrivileges>
  </security>
</trustInfo>

<asmv3:application>
    <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
  </asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>

</assembly>

CyberpowerPC, 64 GB Ram, 64bit Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i9-10980XE 18 Core CPU,  ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1 Motherboard, ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING graphics card, Toshiba 3TB hard drive, 3 x Seagate 3TB hard drives, RAGNAROK 801 Full Tower, LEPA G1600 1600W power supply, Killer WI-FI 6,  ASUS PA329Q 32" 4K/UHD IPS Monitor.
Edited
7 Years Ago by JimmyB7
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Ziggy72 (4/21/2017)
If you drop the resolution of the screen down to a lower value then the fonts will increase in size - sometimes it can go too far down and the fonts get clipped, so it requires a little experimentation.  Try 1024x768, something along those lines.

Can't do that or the windows all start to go wonky (and you can't see ANYTHING in iClone).

I could understand if this resolution was unreasonable, but 1920x1080 is the RECOMMENDED resolution by RL for iClone (see system requirements).  And that's what I have and that, incidentally, is what works on ALL OTHER PROGRAMS (even iClone, which does have that possibility of adjustment).

The real issue here is that RL uses, as do some notorious other offenders, non-standard Windows calls for their UI.  This is why increasing the menu and/or font sizes (in Windows) has no effect whatsoever on RLs programs.  Compare and contrast to, say Adobe where ALL their programs use the Windows API and therefore any changes you make show up easily in every single one of their programs (and makes them all consistent, to boot).

All RL would have to do is call the Windows API for it's menu and other UI elements.  I'm not sure why programmers always think they can do it better (in some cases this happens because they need to support other OS, like the Mac, but that's not the case here).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

JimmyB7,

I'll give that a shot, thanks (if nothing more it's worth a shot :>Wink.  Shouldn't HAVE to do something like this, but if it works (and, more importantly, continues to work as they release new versions) I'll be a happy camper.

Just incidentally, this is even an issue on my 17" laptop, which I got specifically because I'm old and don't have young eyes.  However, on THAT I can't move it any closer to me (since the keyboard hits my tummy :>Wink whereas at least with the 15" I can scooch it a bit closer (in the end the effect is about the same, which is to say at the closer distance the 15" looks like my 17", but at least it's not nearly as heavy and cumbersome to use).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
JimmyB7
JimmyB7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (4/22/2017)
JimmyB7,

I'll give that a shot, thanks (if nothing more it's worth a shot :>Wink.  Shouldn't HAVE to do something like this, but if it works (and, more importantly, continues to work as they release new versions) I'll be a happy camper.

Just incidentally, this is even an issue on my 17" laptop, which I got specifically because I'm old and don't have young eyes.  However, on THAT I can't move it any closer to me (since the keyboard hits my tummy :>Wink whereas at least with the 15" I can scooch it a bit closer (in the end the effect is about the same, which is to say at the closer distance the 15" looks like my 17", but at least it's not nearly as heavy and cumbersome to use).

"sizing options set to 150%"
Might want to return this setting to 100% first.  When I did the latest Windows 10 update I had to redo all these jury-rigs. Blender recently fixed this problem  and so did DAZ3D. Why doesn't Reallusion fix this issue?  I have complained about this issue for a couple years now.

CyberpowerPC, 64 GB Ram, 64bit Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i9-10980XE 18 Core CPU,  ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1 Motherboard, ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING graphics card, Toshiba 3TB hard drive, 3 x Seagate 3TB hard drives, RAGNAROK 801 Full Tower, LEPA G1600 1600W power supply, Killer WI-FI 6,  ASUS PA329Q 32" 4K/UHD IPS Monitor.
sjonesdc
sjonesdc
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Ziggy72 (4/21/2017)

I was having the same problem with CTA3 on the Surface Pro 4.  I tried your recommendation to set the resolution to 1024x768 and it worked!  However, I haven't used CC on the Surface Pro yet...will give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

sjonesdc Hehe

STILL LEARNING!!!

Ziggy72
Ziggy72
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Good to hear sjonesdc - dropping the resolution means less screen 'real estate', but if you can't see what you're doing there's not much point in that HD resolution anyway.  A lot of programs specify HD resolutions and seem to assume you've got your nose two inches from the screen.  I use a wall mounted TV, but even at 42" big I still can't see what the hell blender is trying to show me at 1080.  CC and 3dXchange make me have to squint a bit sometimes, but it's bearable.  Guess we all need to buy binoculars then... Smile

My YouTube Animations

Reading This Topic