CC Morph Shift?

Posted By Lord Ashes 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I am trying to make my first CC Morph. As far as I know, I understand the process and have done a similar thing in DAZ Studio many times. I used the following steps to create my morph:

1. To ensure that I am using the correct base, I have exported to OBJ file the (nude) CC character. I have tried this with both the Basic and PBR character.
2. Next I import the OBj file into my 3D editing software. No issues.
3. Next I modify the mesh, in this case the ears, without modifying anything else.
4. Lastly, I export the results in OBJ file format.

However, when I import the Morph into CC, I get an odd shift in the head position while the Morph is applied. I cannot explain the shift since I did not adjust the position of the head or character when editing morph.

Here is an image of the head before the Morph is applied...
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f70117b5-319a-4914-bc5d-b8b2.png

Here is an image of the head after the Morph is applied...
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a5809b39-c822-4173-afec-7b20.png

The last image shows the difference by applying a ghosted version of the Morph applied image over the Morph not applied image.
Note: The viewpoint position was not changed between takes of these images and thus any delta between them is an actual delta.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/886a3521-ab66-4bcf-9443-fcd9.png

Any idea why this may be happening? I saw a similar situation, on some occasions but not all, when creating Expression Morphs.
It almost looks like my 3D editing software may have some issues (i.e. is applying a position shift).

EDIT: I did a little more checking and it is not just a shift. It seems that the brow and cheeks change shape. The brow becomes more protruded and the cheeks more hollow.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Edited
7 Years Ago by Lord Ashes
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

If you still have CC1.5 installed it would be interesting to see if it happens there also.

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Snarp Farkle (4/16/2017)
If you still have CC1.5 installed it would be interesting to see if it happens there also.

Unfortunately I don't. However, I did see a similar issue with some Expression Morphs in iClone. However in the case of the iClone Expression Morphs it was only a position shift which I was able to compensate for.
In the case of CC it seems like it is not only a shift but also the mesh is getting change (e.g. the brow and cheeks). At first I though that the brow was only a shift change with the head shifting but the eyes not so it would create the appearance of a brow change but I don't think that is the case. Watching the cheeks, I see a definite change if the cheek area.

Normally I would say that it looks like the CC chaarcter in CC and the CC character user to make the morph are not the same...but that is why I specifically exported a default character out of CC2 to ensure that the morph is based on the correct character.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

*SOLVED*

I seemed to have solved the problem by doing the following:

1. Open character in CC
2. Press the Reset button to remove all morphs to the base character (i.e. make the androgynous)
3. Export character as iAvatar
4. Export character as OBJ
5. Use OBj file to apply morph. Save as OBJ.
6. Import Morph using the iAvatar file (created in step 3) as the base and using the OBJ file (created in step 5) as the Target.

I think the key was doing the "Reset" on the base CC character. You can probably skip step 3 and then, when loading the Morph, start with a Reset CC character and select "Current" as the base. However, using the iAvatar file means that it does not matter what character is loaded in CC when you are creating the morph.

vidi
vidi
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Sounds cumbersome
Why do you not  use the Base quadsmash ?
I use allways the Neutral Base 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
7 Years Ago by vidi
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

vidi (4/16/2017)
Sounds cumbersome
Why do you not  use the Base quadsmash ?
I use always the Neutral Base 

Thanks for the advice, I did use the Templates initially but I missed the fact that there was a Neutral one. I used the Female one and got the odd shifts. I'll try the Neutral one.
Realistically doing the Reset and then exporting as iAvatar creates a "Neutral" Avatar which you can then re-use like the Neutral from the Templates.

Reading This Topic