Profile Picture

Character Creator to Max Normal Map Seam Problem

Posted By Bastendorfgames 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Bastendorfgames
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
For starters, I tried to look for existing versions of this topic, but the search bar on this forum doesn't seem to work for me.

There seems to be an odd issue when exporting as an fbx and importing into Max. I get rather hard seams in the edges of my normal map even though it's perfectly aligned.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8b6ad41b-5577-4414-a22c-32f9.png
The model in front has no normal map. The model in back has the normal map set as a bump map exactly as it's imported from the fbx in exactly the way Character Creator exports it. No tampering, modifying or adjusting is involved. And I haven't tampered with the UVW map at all. This is a fresh, direct import. The only change was in taking the bump map modifier off the front model to show that it is in fact the normal map that is the cause, and not the diffuse.
Is there any way to fix this, or is this just a difference in the way Max and iClone work and can't be solved?
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I'm not a Max user, but several members are, and they can import CC characters without issues. Hopefully they will chime in to resolve this.

I believe RL does most if not all of its character development using Max, so it should be a good fit.

Autodesk has a FBX converter with a viewer, which would allow you to check what it looks like then.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

duchess110
duchess110
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi Bastendorfgames
I just did a quick test.
Opened cc2 used the default female removing the underwear.
Exported fbx -y for max.
Opened in max then once loaded used the eyedropper to select materials from scene.
All worked as I expected here is a screen grab showing the materials and character after using the eyedropper.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/06b6af76-1588-4876-8543-b8f4.jpg

I am using an older version of max 2010 but your results should be the same.

Duchess Designs Store 

vidi
vidi
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have no max but maybe it helps
http://polycount.com/discussion/128905/visible-normal-map-seams-in-3ds-maxs-viewport
scroll Page down for the solution
or try  settings  flip xxx  channel direction what happend ?
http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-BFFFC7F4-8B39-435C-9015-A38245A3250B.htm,topicNumber=d30e399137

BTW > For Maya User,  disable color mangement in the preferences,  or set sRGB to RAW in the normalmap color Space dropdown menue

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

denclink
denclink
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
hello
I had a similar problem in ic7 early release same issue with with bump channel.  The problem was that bump channel had SRGB selected turning it off put things right.  May or may no relate.
Bastendorfgames
Bastendorfgames
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)Senior Member (292 reputation)

duchess110 (4/13/2017)
Hi Bastendorfgames
I just did a quick test.
Opened cc2 used the default female removing the underwear.
Exported fbx -y for max.
Opened in max then once loaded used the eyedropper to select materials from scene.
All worked as I expected here is a screen grab showing the materials and character after using the eyedropper.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/06b6af76-1588-4876-8543-b8f4.jpg

I am using an older version of max 2010 but your results should be the same.

I'm using Max 2014 and CC1.52 Lite not sure if that makes a difference. Also not sure what you mean by "fbx -y"...

Bastendorfgames
Bastendorfgames
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Sorry for double-posting, I'd posted my first response and then looked through Vidi's links. Figured it would take me longer to find a solution.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/babbef17-1143-4c37-ab99-b173.png
Following the advice of people on forums in the first link, I turned off Gamma/Lut Correction (Customize > Preference Settings > Gamma and LUT) but that only kinda solved it. I could still see seams. In addition to the gamma correction, I also flipped the green channel direction in the bump map options for the material. Results can be seen above.

Thank you, Duchess, Vidi, and Denclink for the help!
Edited
7 Years Ago by Bastendorfgames

Reading This Topic