GDC 2017

Posted By mtakerkart 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
mtakerkart
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 31 minutes ago
This post to highlight what my crystal ball tells me.Wink
This year's gdc showed us the novelties of UDK and unity.They are open to exploit the market of film-series production.
For example in unity the features of the camera movements makes the thing very easy and more cinemalike.

Mr carton is a series that has been rendered in unity to bypass the compositing process.

UDK also has its little surprise, ILM and the use of the engine to make a shot in real time
In a blockbuster pipeline, although the algorithm was rewritten by the ILM developers. Start at 12:45
In addition, we feel a certain desire to simplify their interface with the example of the modeler in VR. Start at 1:01:12

This Kickstarter TV serie project "Black holes" uses a Game engine :

A french site quote: "
On a bénéficié de nouvelles technologies issues des jeux vidéo qui permettent de faire de la 3D à la maison.
Nous en sommes aux prémices, mais on est en train de les développer

In English:
"We have benefited from new technologies from video games that make it possible to make 3D at home. We are at the beginning, but we are developing them "

I looked at the cinematic "in game" of Horizon zero down game and I assure you that the content is worthy
of a TV series  and that there is not missing much for the acting which was flange to satisfy the interactivity. The design/story are at the TV series level.

All this to say that this year, the turn of the production of animated film in real time will be done.
UDK will be a major element and the video game staff will begin to be hired in productions
of film/animation. These game engine companies have interest but they do not want to develop this market alone.
See The GDC videos to see there request of external developpers/artist not only for gaming.
Reallusion could so be noticed in this market. The true strength of Iclone is the standardization of characters for the animation.
You have no idea how visionary it is for a movie/series producer. Used for what it was created, 
it allows you to have all your characters / creatures / monsters / object / whatever that use  of all your animations mocap (body/face) ,
whithout retargeting, even for characters coming outside Iclone. The retargeting is made in 3Dxchange in a finger snapping.
This features defies all the budgets of animation.
From what I've seen and what I use with Iclone & Co (WIP 1 and 2) I  think  there one thing that must be update for the Film / Series production market.
No it is not the "foot sliding" because in a Broadcast environment all the animes are made in motion capture and NOT
In automatic locomotion. I do mocap and I have no problem of foot sliding in Iclone.
I'm talking about the algorythm of opacity that is not up to date. The opacity drives the transluscent, the fresnel, the subscattering,
Smooth edge on refraction, particle management, etc ...
I am aware that the Staff of Reallusion of San Jose is aware of our needs but I sometimes feel
That the developers of Taipei do not see things in the same way. Really hope that this opacity feature will be updated in the 7.1.
I am extremely motivated to produce a sustained production because iclone 7 is ready for that, (which would also be a showcase for Iclone Wink
because I live at a leading place in the market of the production of video games (Montreal).
This year is ready to watch animation not like an AVATAR or PIXAR like. Smile

Thanks for reading me Wink
Edited
7 Years Ago by mtakerkart
wires
wires
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
There is also an interesting article on using the Unreal engine in Film production in RedShark News.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 31 minutes ago
Yes I saw it too. they talk about this in the UDK GDC video I posted at 16:40. 
I didn't mentionned this feature because it is about interactivity in a realistic way. Iclone can't do that because
it's an another world. But yes this article from Redshark talk about the incomming realTime in a broadcast land.
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks for posting!
Really impressive and inspiring

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Last Active: Yesterday
Wow, "Black Holes" is G.R.E.A.T... w00t

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

JIX
JIX
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hell yeah! It´s weird and wonderful!

Reading This Topic