Help with content

Posted By LightofThunder 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
LightofThunder
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I've copied my content from my PC o an external and organized that unorganized thing. How do I get content to install straight to my external HDD and get iC6.53 to sense it? I tried a suggestion of reinstalling and pointing the installer at E:/.../Reallusion for both Custom and Template folders, but it's still  showing the messy version of content on my C drive.

I installed y content with RLD, or whatever, if that means anything.

Asus Prime 2390, Intel Corev i9-9900k, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080ti, Win10v Pro
wires
wires
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Perhaps you could qualify just what you mean by "that unorganized thing" and "the messy version of content".

If you reorganise the folder structure of the content then you are going to have to do some very serious editing to the rather large number of Reallusion registry entries.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 50 minutes ago
LightofThunder (2/20/2017)
I've copied my content from my PC o an external and organized that unorganized thing. How do I get content to install straight to my external HDD and get iC6.53 to sense it? I tried a suggestion of reinstalling and pointing the installer at E:/.../Reallusion for both Custom and Template folders, but it's still  showing the messy version of content on my C drive.

Hi..

You have the option of choosing a custom location for your content when you install iClone. Once installed the location of your content is stored in your system registry. Generally it is advised to reinstall iClone if you wish to change the location of your content folders. You can't just move them and expect iClone to know where they are.

Once you have reinstalled iClone and set the new folder locations, see the FAQ page HERE for help moving everything to the new folders.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

LightofThunder
LightofThunder
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

wires (2/20/2017)
Perhaps you could qualify just what you mean by "that unorganized thing" and "the messy version of content".

If you reorganise the folder structure of the content then you are going to have to do some very serious editing to the rather large number of Reallusion registry entries.

I didn't just move it all to my E drive, I COPIED it. As in, copy the Reallusion folder thtc has all my content, paste it on my E drive, and then reorganize itj. So7, i have two versions of it - the originakl and the reorganized.

Asus Prime 2390, Intel Corev i9-9900k, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080ti, Win10v Pro
LightofThunder
LightofThunder
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Peter (RL) (2/20/2017)
LightofThunder (2/20/2017)

Hi..

You have the option of choosing a custom location for your content when you install iClone. Once installed the location of your content is stored in your system registry. Generally it is advised to reinstall iClone if you wish to change the location of your content folders. You can't just move them and expect iClone to know where they are.

Once you have reinstalled iClone and set the new folder locations, see the FAQ page HERE for help moving everything to the new folders.

As i stated in my first post, " I tried a suggestion of reinstalling and pointing the installer at E:/.../Reallusion for both Custom and Template folders, but it's still  showing the messy version of content on my C drive."

wires
wires
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

LightofThunder (2/21/2017)
wires (2/20/2017)

I didn't just move it all to my E drive, I COPIED it. As in, copy the Reallusion folder thtc has all my content, paste it on my E drive, and then reorganize itj. So7, i have two versions of it - the originakl and the reorganized.

You still haven't explained just what you mean by "that unorganized thing" and "the messy version of content". Nor have you said how you "reorganised" the content after you copied it.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

LightofThunder
LightofThunder
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Default folder structure = on C drive, is a mess, unorganized. Hard to find things.
Reorganized = on E drive, create new folders and drag 9thers into them. Tidy, organized. Easier to find thing.

That's as simple as I can put t. Obviously, you've never reorganized your own content folders or we don't share the same opinion on whether they are or aren't organized. Otherwise, you may have to tell me what you think I mean, and why it matters, because I'm just saying the same thing over and over and my isue isn't getting solved.

I ma be a new user here, but I have a number of years experience with 3D software. In other 3D software, if I move content folders around, I do not need to mes with the registry to get my newly organized folders to show up in the program the way I organized it. If I have folders like this:

C:/.../My Library/Houses/
C:/.../My Library/Apartments/
C:/.../My Library/Dogs/
C:/.../My Library/Fish/

I can copy My Library to my E drive and reorganize into 2 new folders:

E:/.../My Library/BUILDINGS/Houses/
E:/.../My Library/BUILDINGS/Apartments/
E:/.../My Library/ANIMALS/Dogs/
E:/.../My Library/ANIMALS/Fish/

Then i just point the p;rogram at E:/.../My Library and it's all there. No registry edits.

iC6 is not doing it

wires
wires
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It's perfectly obvious that you do not understand how the folder is organised in iClone.

Obviously, you've never reorganized your own content folders or we don't share the same opinion on whether they are or aren't organized. Otherwise, you may have to tell me what you think I mean, and why it matters, because I'm just saying the same thing over and over and my isue isn't getting solved.

I've been using iClone for over 10 years, and I have a very well organised file system - your statement regarding my competence to do so has just convinced me to offer my assistance to those willing to listen.. Please feel free to use your own extensive experience to solve the issue. Smile

Gerry

wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I think its all a misunderstanding of how the folder structure works
I made a very similar stuff up 8 years ago with my Poser runtimes coming from using iClone
so fully understand how one could do this especially since Runtimes in the DAZ/Poser world quite frankly are a chaotic mess thanks to content producers placing stuff willynilly all over them using no defined rules, I now with experience know how to fix it or make it more manageable with out breaking it but it took time.
My iclone content has undergone a similar metamorphosis.
the main thing being keeping the upper folder structure but within it I catagorise into named folders all my stuff in a way that is logical to me.
in fact a lot of the time I ignore the menu completely and drag stuff in from Windows explorer then reset it if need be.

LightofThunder
LightofThunder
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sorry you took it that way, Gerry, but what I meant is if something works or you the way it is, you've never needed to do anything about it. I have known seasoned 3D artists who didn't know things for that reason, so it's not a judgment of competence or of how you do things.

Thanks for understanding, Wendy. It's true, when you come from other software, you only do what you're used to. iClone is unfamiliar to me, which is why this blew up. Nobody's fault.

Reading This Topic