Material Opacity And Light

Posted By Lord Ashes 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
From what I can tell iClone lights don't seem to work well with semi-transparent objects.
The below video shows a spotlight aimed at a wall separating it from a box on the other side. The wall opacity starts at 100% and transitions to 0%.
What I would expect to see is a gradual increase of light on the box as the wall becomes more and more transparent. However what can be seen is that as the wall gets more transparent, the box remains completely in the dark (i.e. no light from the spot light) until the opacity of the wall reaches about 20% then suddenly the spotlight manages to penetrate the semi-transparent wall...but completely...so there is no increase of light on the box as the wall opacity goes from 20% opaque to 0% opaque.

Is this a limitation of the iClone rendering engine or is there some trick to getting this working as expected?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 33 minutes ago
It is a limitation. It would be nice if it were addressed, especially for light shining through windows.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Would this result be the same if using a png sequence?

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Snarp Farkle (2/16/2017)
Would this result be the same if using a png sequence?

I believe so. I believe that the issue isn't with the render destination...it is a render engine limitation.
That could mean it might render differently if you use a different render engine but all I have is the default one.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The related issue is that the light is also not affected by the color of the semi-transparent object. If I color the wall red, for example, and take the opacity down to 20% (where the light manages to penetrate), I would expect the light to have a slight red tinge when illuminating objects past the wall (such as the box)...but it does not. It seems that over 20% opacity the light is blocked and 20% or under the light passes completely unaffected.

Reading This Topic