iClone and Houdini Apprentice

Posted By eternityblue 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
eternityblue
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I am giving Houdini Apprentice another shot, this free version is supposed to be most of Houdini but renders 720p max. Anyhow, I'm a complete novice with it, have only sat through a couple intro videos so far, but before I get too involved with it, I am wondering if anyone has experience integrating the two tools into a good workflow, and what sorts of things work well with iClone and what doesn't. I'd also like to hear experiences rendering and any settings I should change to get the best performance so rendering doesn't take days. Thanks in advance. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
@eternityblue
It does not really work that way unfortunately, you don't open a thread with a kind of defiant attitude asking for someone to show off or to prove Houdini worth something and can be adapted to your iClone workflow.

I admitted elsewhere that Houdini requires a lot of patience and has a steep learning curve, this is not something you decide to use to quickly resolve your issues. The essence of Houdini is not to work fast but to do the job and never hit a wall, no matter what the challenge is (the only exception here being sculpting, you can't do what ZBrush do in Houdini). But - unless you are very experienced -  you won't work as fast as with Maya, Softimage, 3DSMax, etc..

I'm using Houdini on a daily basis at work for VFX work but I'm unable to answer your question regarding a "good workflow" with iClone because it depends on what you mean by that and what you are using iClone for. Like any other 3d DCC tool you can do modeling in Houdini, so you can use it to create any object that you can import into iClone through 3DXchange. Houdini has the advantage to let you do procedural modeling at a level not reachable by any other software. You can do procedural animation as well, of course. So here there are no difference with any other 3D DCC tool: you create assets you get into iClone, for a very cheap and legit licence price (similar to a Maya LT subscription but with infinitely more power).

Regarding rendering, as I often mentioned it in my messages, I'm not trying to render anything outside of iClone. To me the point of iClone is to render as much as possible everything in iClone at "interactive speed" and max quality, I'm not interested in having final renders at realtime speed though. If I start rendering outside iClone then what the point of using iClone in the first place ? What I'm interested in iClone is still the "Machinima" idea and how to obtain the best results with its constraints.

Back to a "good workflow" I'm afraid I won't be able to produce a good receipt that you can instantly and magically apply to your workflow. I may help you though, if you ask precise questions about Houdini, except perhaps when it comes to character rigging/skinning and importing/exporting characters through Houdini/3DXchange as I didn't had the time yet to explore this area of Houdini!

I hope we will soon see Alembic import into iClone so it would really help for VFX work, this way we could easily import Houdini simulations into iClone. OpenVDB import would be a plus as well granted iClone introduce volumic rendering. Meanwhile, you can export alembic and camera from iClone to Houdini, so you can use your iClone objects as matte objects and render volumes and simulations in Houdini then composite the results either in Houdini or in HitFilm or whatever. For me this is the only exception I render outside iClone for now.

Not sure what to add for now, except I may appear a bit schizophrenic about Houdini, on one side I advise to discover and use it while at the same time I'm warning it won't be easy a requires a lot of patience and elbow grease. But ultimately, if you really learn Houdini, you will never regret it, you can do things in there you won't be able to do anywhere else.

What's for sure, and that was my point in the other thread is that in terms of power/price ratio, Houdini Indie is unbeatable (Blender aside as it is free of course).

So if you are young enough, full of energy and don't know yet where to put your money for a 3D DCC tool that you will probably use the next 30 of 40 years, then don't look any further ; )

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Edited
7 Years Ago by grabiller
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.0K reputation)

Defiant attitude? I think you misunderstood me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

BTW when I say integrating workflows, I mean rendering separately in each and compositing in a video editor. At least until iC7 and potentially a plugin gets released. Anyhow, if you don't know, you don't know. See ya.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I am used to using multiple tools to get something done, ie. I don't make music in iClone, so if I can render out something custom and cool in Houdini with transparency, and then use that as a video layer with iC7's GI lighting, I think it would be pretty flexible. I definitely am not looking for machinima, so I don't care about making it outside, it ultimately is a prop, just like if I made a house in Blender.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

@eternityblue
'defiant' might not be the right word, 'challenging' perhaps ? Sorry, English is not my native tongue.
Anyway, I've answered your question regarding rendering separately, you can do that by exporting alembic files and soon camera through fbx. You will have to redo/adapt your materials though, obviously.
If you want to learn something about Houdini you may always ask questions here, I'll answer if I can help.

--

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

eternityblue (1/28/2017)
I am used to using multiple tools to get something done, ie. I don't make music in iClone, so if I can render out something custom and cool in Houdini with transparency, and then use that as a video layer with iC7's GI lighting, I think it would be pretty flexible. I definitely am not looking for machinima, so I don't care about making it outside, it ultimately is a prop, just like if I made a house in Blender.

I think you misunderstood me. Creating billboards and impostors inside Houdini for using those as Sprites or popVideos or Bilboards or even Textures inside iClone is part of my "workflow" as well. It is indeed like creating external assets that you import and use inside iClone.
Regarding musics and sounds yes, obviously you don't create those inside iClone, those are also called "assets" and are created outside of iClone, I was not saying to do everything in iClone ^^

--

Edited
7 Years Ago by grabiller
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (1/28/2017)
eternityblue (1/27/2017)
BTW when I say integrating workflows, I mean rendering separately in each and compositing in a video editor. At least until iC7 and potentially a plugin gets released..

Houdini wait times for rendering is the same for most high-end rendering apps.
Low - Medium - High
You choice depends on you pc specs and how long you want to wait.

True, Mantra is not especially known to be the fastest renderer out there - yet it is not that slow - but it is quite rock solid, it will render pretty much anything you'll throw at it, with high quality.

--

Edited
7 Years Ago by grabiller
Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Houdini is the most powerful 3d program on the public market, Houdini artists are also one of the highest paid artists in the world,
there is nothing wrong with learning it...I have been trying to learn it also its abilities are amazing its in a league of its own.. You wont see
an epic movie made without the use of Houdini. Houdini and VUE are the top dogs in the film industry. Vue is environment software and has
been used to create the environment for over of the top 50 movies ever made including Avatar Lord Rings Harry Potters etc etc.

VUE

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
Edited
7 Years Ago by kevin.S
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

FYI: What's new in Houdini 16:
Houdini 16 Amarok

Smile

--

Edited
7 Years Ago by grabiller

Reading This Topic