replace G3 characters by drag-and-drop

Posted By majorzed 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
majorzed
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
...and, of course, maintain the animation.  You can do it with G1 and G2 characters, why not G3?  Especially if the bone structure is exactly the same.  What's the problem?  A related topic is taking a character into composer mode after some animation has been defined.  Why does the existing animation need to be dropped?  This makes no sense.
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I wish I had CTA3 here at work to test this, but I'm pretty sure I've been able to drop a G3 character onto an animated G3 character on stage, and have it replace properly.  It's important to pick the exact same kind of character, side profile vs front profile; an actual G3 to G3 character swap and not a G3 to a free bone character or vice versa.

As far as removing the animation when going into the character composer, it makes perfect sense.  The character composer is where you could change the structure of your character, thus invalidating the animation. I don;t necessarily like it, but it does make sense from a development point of view.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
majorzed (12/29/2016)
...and, of course, maintain the animation.  You can do it with G1 and G2 characters, why not G3?  Especially if the bone structure is exactly the same.  What's the problem?  A related topic is taking a character into composer mode after some animation has been defined.  Why does the existing animation need to be dropped?  This makes no sense.

Hi... The ability to replace G3 characters is coming in the 3.1 update due in Q1 2017.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

majorzed
majorzed
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

THANKEW for the drag&drop!  Still wishing to keep animation going into composer.  Can't tell you how many times I've augmented a character after starting animation.  I could see how fundamental changes to the bone structure could screw up the animation - a simple warning "Do you really want to do that" would suffice. 
majorzed
majorzed
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

So with the 3.1 update maybe we won't need to keep animation going into composer?  Maybe just edit the character separately as a new character, then drop onto the old character with animation in place?  Will that work?

Reading This Topic