Derived Content From Your Own Content

Posted By Lord Ashes 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
By now most of us understand the idea behind Derived Content.

If you buy some content from someone and then use it in your own work that you sell on the RL Marketplace the work will get flagged as derived content and will only work in iClone (without the DMR logo) if the user buys the necessary content from the original creator.

For example, if I buy some shoes from Mr. X and then create a character which uses those shoes (among other content), if I sell that character on RL Marketplace the Marketplace will automatically flag my character as derived work from Mr X's shoes and if the buyer want to use my character then he/she must also purchase the shoes from Mr. X.

However, how does it work when you want to create derivative content from your own content? As far as I know when I upload content to my RL Markeplace store, others can buy it but I haven't actually purchased it myself so if I include the (local copy) as part of some other content then RL Marketplace will not recognize it as being the same item that I uploaded to my store, correct? Am I correct in assuming that you need to actually buy the content in order for RL Marketplace to make the connection that it is a RL Marketplace item? Can I buy my own stuff for free to get RL Marketplace to recognize the connection? Or do I need to gift it to myself?

For example, I create some CC Shorts. I upload them to my store in the RL Marketplace. Now I create a surfer character which uses those shorts. If I use the local copy of the shorts (that I uploaded to my store) then I am assuming RL Marketplace will not recognize it as derived content and thus not require users to buy my shorts in order to use the surfer character. However, I don't want to include the cost of the shorts in the cost of the surfer character because then users who have previously bought my shorts would be basically re-buying them if they wanted to buy the surfer character.

Is there a proper process for doing this?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I have been wondering that too lord ashes. How do i use some thing that i made and puplished in a new content i am working on and set it so the new content recognizes that my previous item is derivative requirement for this new item. I was thinking maybe i need to just manually add the previous content as derivative items for my new content but i am not sure if thats what i need to do. Good question subscribing to this to see any answers

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

I do that. But i only do it if the mesh needs to be different. But if i make an outfit that uses a shoulder cape i have already made before twith a different texture then i only want to charge my customers for the new texture and the new meshes. Im not going to modify the cape just so i can charge my customers more. I will modify the cape mesh if it needs to be modified for a different cape. But if the outfit i am making only needs a cape i have already made but a different texture then thats what i want to do and add the cape as derivative content so that my customers who have already bought it dont need to buy it again but someone who hasnt bought it knows they need to buy it to use this new outfit

You dont get it. Thats ok

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
ToKoMotion
ToKoMotion
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
That's no problem at all. Just go to your inventory and you will find your uploaded content by clicking this button. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1c078c23-dc1b-460a-9d96-b1db.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/43a4ac7b-bd85-430a-aa3e-e3f7.png    https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9cbb0370-ee1b-4f58-9b3d-6930.png    https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e84e0ec9-aa91-47d0-ae07-d519.png
FIND MORE:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/17a1d227-c563-4ece-a41a-257a.jpg

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks tokomotion. I do that to test that my content downloads to the folders i meant them to download into. So are you saying that once you do that then uploading that same content as part of a new pack it will be automatically recognized as derivative content?

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
ToKoMotion
ToKoMotion
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yes, the content should be DRM protected then. This is how it works with all my CC stuff.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/43a4ac7b-bd85-430a-aa3e-e3f7.png    https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9cbb0370-ee1b-4f58-9b3d-6930.png    https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e84e0ec9-aa91-47d0-ae07-d519.png
FIND MORE:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/17a1d227-c563-4ece-a41a-257a.jpg

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
sw00000p (11/10/2016)
I don't get it... If I sold content here... I'd want to generate a much money as possible.
"I'd never re-use content." I'd move vertices and create dozens of versions of everything.

...in return this gives others "More" of your content to use as derivative!Wink

Swoop,

In many case you generate content such as a CC Cloth Base, some prop or accessory which you want to promote by creating a whole character or demonstrating some unique way of using it. For example, my #1 selling content item is the Physics Enabled Cable. It is basically a cable than can be attached to different props on both ends (or even in the center) and the cable will bend and fold accordingly. Normally iProps can be attached to only one object...my cable gets around that. However, on its own it is just a cable. I may want to use that cable in other props like the power cord of a electric tea kettle or the audio cable in a surround sound system. In such a case, I don't want to include the "cost" of the cable as part of the derived content because I want to give my users the benefit of buying the cable once and then getting a "discount" on derived content that uses it. Yes, I could include the cost of the cable in all works that derive from the cable but in that case it would not give much intensive for user to buy the cable.

Similarly I have made a Shoe Construction Set Base which is a Morph prop that can be used to create all kinds of different shoes. I am selling the Shoe Construction Set Base as its own content for users who want to buy it but when I make character content I may want to use the benefits of my Shoe Construction Set. However if I sell 20 different characters (say different occupations like the CC Professional Outfit pack) then I don't want my buyers to have to incur the cost of the Shoe Construction Set with each character. I want them to be able to buy the Shoe Construction Set once and then be able to buy any character that uses it without having to pay again and again. Yes, I could have them pay again and again but I am not a greedy seller.

Also, I would like to point out that you seem to undervalue derived work. Yes, we need content developers that will make new content...otherwise we have nothing...but we should not undervalue content that is made from derivative content...even if it is 100% derived content. For example, some content developers may be good at making various individual clothing and accessories but they may not be good at styling and putting them together. On the other hand, there may be "content developers" who might not be able to create even a simple mesh but they might have an eye for putting together the right combination of other's content to turn it into a complete character. I don't see any problem with this. RL Marketplace will flag the work as derived and ensure that the buyer buys it from the original content creator...so the original content creator gets sales and then styling creator takes his/her cut. If someone is willing to pay for that, why not?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

Just posting for notifications, often wondered how the derivative stuff works Tongue

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
A good example of an excellent developer who uses derived content is Alley, and nobody would deny that she is highly accomplished. There is a series of CC clothes by Delerna, and Alley derives further clothing from that using her texturing skills.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
animagic (11/10/2016)
A good example of an excellent developer who uses derived content is Alley, and nobody would deny that she is highly accomplished. There is a series of CC clothes by Delerna, and Alley derives further clothing from that using her texturing skills.

From what I've read and gathered so far via various discussions, I actually rather like the idea of derived content.  As far as I can tell, if you derive something, then the creators of the products you derived your content from get compensated too.  I think that's a great idea (and perfectly fair).  I take it that's where sw00000p was coming from when he said about getting content out there so that others will want to derive from it.  Makes sense, cause if you create, say, some from of base object that is bound to attract derivatives, then you get a cut of all derivatives from the sound of it.  At least it gives a vendor a better chance of making some cash, a lot bigger chance than if they never got a cut from the derivatives.  I think sw00000p was speaking on different terms to Delerna on that one, cause I see Delerna's point of view as well.  If he were to create derivative content of stuff that is barely different (from his own content), then that might look greedy to some if he released it just to get the purchaser to buy more 'required derivative content'.  Sounds like it depends on the circumstances and whether the derived content is already yours or not.  If it feels greedy to the vendor then chances are very high the customer will feel it as well.

But that matter asside, what about the creator of the stuff who is getting a cut when someone sells something derived from their content, how do they know where it's coming from?  Do the creators have a list so detailed that it tells them, customer X purchased product X from vendor X, which was based on your product X, therefore you have earned X amount from the sale of content X?

Is it that detailed?

Reading This Topic