Profile Picture

Standard version higlhy disabled

Posted By rgp1842 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rgp1842
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I downloaded and tried out the trial version of CT-8 for a small YouTube project I'm working on.  Seemed to be ideal for my needs, so I purchased the Standard version after reading in the comparison chart that the editing features in the Standard version were the same as those in the more advanced version (wrong).  Upon starting my project, I was extremely disappointed  to discover that the Auto Motion track can not be edited.  This makes it impossible to use the various Auto Motion clips to enhance your video by say adding a smile here or a frown there.  This shot down my ability to use CT-8 for my project.  Paying $100 was not worth the extra capabilities for my little one-time project (which I'm convinced would go viral on YouTube).

I have been working with Personal Computers since the Apple II first came out, and have purchased hundreds of software packages.  Traditionally the entry level version of a program (now called app) will give you 60%-70% of the functionality.  Going to higher priced version gets you more high-end-user bells and whistles, add-on content, support, etc.  This is the first program I have purchased where the "standard" version is so disabled as to be dysfunctional.  In fact, Amazon reviews say "DO NOT BUY THE STANDARD VERSION -- IT IS USELESS" (just discovered).  Why Reallusion shot themselves in the foot by crippling the standard version is a mystery.

I have asked for a refund on my purchase of the Standard version.  Extensive Google searching turns up no viable alternative to CT-8 in the "hobbyist" price range.  Darn!

)o:
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
Hi..

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your views. We are sorry to hear you feel disappointed in the CrazyTalk 8 Standard version.

I do have to disagree that the Standard version "is so disabled as to be dysfunctional". This is certainly not the case.

The Standard version is ideal for those who just want to put together some fun projects without getting into editing on the Timeline. However if you want more control over editing of your characters on the Timeline (as you clearly do), and want to create 3D characters, then the Pro or Pipeline editions are recommended.

Obviously with the Standard version only costing $49 and the Pro version $149 there has to be some limitations. It wouldn't be realistic to include almost all the functionality in the Standard version, and then expect customers to pay $100 more for just a few extra features. The Standard version is deliberately priced low to allow customers to get into CrazyTalk and experience what it can do without a large outlay. Then if you do need the advanced features, you can upgrade at any time to Pro or Pipeline for a discounted price.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
rgp1842 (9/11/2016)
I downloaded and tried out the trial version of CT-8 for a small YouTube project I'm working on.  Seemed to be ideal for my needs, so I purchased the Standard version after reading in the comparison chart that the editing features in the Standard version were the same as those in the more advanced version (wrong).  Upon starting my project, I was extremely disappointed  to discover that the Auto Motion track can not be edited.  This makes it impossible to use the various Auto Motion clips to enhance your video by say adding a smile here or a frown there.  This shot down my ability to use CT-8 for my project.  Paying $100 was not worth the extra capabilities for my little one-time project (which I'm convinced would go viral on YouTube).

I have been working with Personal Computers since the Apple II first came out, and have purchased hundreds of software packages.  Traditionally the entry level version of a program (now called app) will give you 60%-70% of the functionality.  Going to higher priced version gets you more high-end-user bells and whistles, add-on content, support, etc.  This is the first program I have purchased where the "standard" version is so disabled as to be dysfunctional.  In fact, Amazon reviews say "DO NOT BUY THE STANDARD VERSION -- IT IS USELESS" (just discovered).  Why Reallusion shot themselves in the foot by crippling the standard version is a mystery.

I have asked for a refund on my purchase of the Standard version.  Extensive Google searching turns up no viable alternative to CT-8 in the "hobbyist" price range.  Darn!

)o:

I am not trying to be mean but if you have a project in mind, it is wise before buying the software to make sure the software version you are going to buy, includes the feature set you require / need for your project. In the future if you need a cretin set of tools, make sure the version you are buying has those tools,
never just assume they do, always check. Planning ahead and researching information before you start will always be beneficial.

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
Edited
8 Years Ago by kevin.S
rgp1842
rgp1842
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)Senior Member (330 reputation)

That's why I tried the trial version.  But it is the pipeline version, so everything worked.  I was hoping a choice would be given in the trial version to emulate the standard version so I could try the standard version, but that option not available.  Studying the comparison table showed that editing was the same in all versions, which is not true.  After doing "do diligence" to try and vet the entry level version I was left with no choice but to buy it.  Only then was I able to discover that the standard version is so disabled as to make it dysfunctional.  I have gotten my money back, but would have preferred a usable standard version.  This is not just my "opinion" about the standard version.  Since then I discovered lot's of comments on the web, including Amazon, that the standard version is to be avoided. 

Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I totally understand, animation can be a vary vary costly hobby. BigGrin

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
mikethinks
mikethinks
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

I agree with the original poster, the product demo appears clearly designed to hide or at the very least does nothing to differentiate features that are missing from the less than top tier versions.  The descriptions in the comparison are also misleading with "standard" and "enhanced" timeline editing  listed with no description of what the difference is.  Very poor marketing, which leaves me disinclined to purchase...since I have no real idea what I'm getting unless I get the pipeline version. 

Reading This Topic